3.48 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 35MCAT, includes F

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee and Tea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me:

- California resident
- Undergrad ended with <3.4
- post-bacc program GPA is 4.0
- MCAT taken twice with scores as 35 then 33; 37 with highest subscores
- not URM, not really non-trad but from a engineering undergrad
- weak research
- non-clinicals ECs include decent leadership and a financial and educational theme, focusing on low-income populations especially in later years
- clinical ECs includes hospital volunteer work and shadowing

The GPA dip came during late undergrad and is health related but hard to document (due to my own stubborness against my condition more than anything else). It includes F's. I've addressed everything questionable as much as possible (and where possible) using the post-baccalaureate work, but I'm not sure it's enough. (Should my personal statement center around this?) The engineering courses I took are what drag me down the most whereas the standard pre-med courses have near perfect grades, if that matters at all.

Here's my list so far:

UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
USC
Dartmouth
Georgetown
U of Miami
Temple
George Washington U
U of Illinois
Penn State
Tulane
NYMC
Virginia Tech
Drexel
Commonwealth

Is this broad enough of a list? How much focus should I put on the F?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you retake a 35 MCAT and got a 33 the second time? That was not a smart move.

As long as your F isn't the result of cheating/academic dishonesty, there's absolutely no reason for you to be concerned about the grade. Your sGPA is very good, and no one will hold that F against you.

Overall, I think you have a very good shot, but that MCAT situation may leave sour tastes in some adcoms' mouths.

Also, absolutely do not use your personal statement to explain the F's. Your overall GPAs are very competitive. But again, the MCAT situation is less than ideal. What made you retake a 35?!?!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I have no idea what I'm doing! No, honestly I took it twice because I was unhappy that I had a 10 in one section - second time netted me a 12. I suppose it was ego..

Because I have no idea what I'm doing! No, honestly I took it twice because I was unhappy that I had a 10 in one section - second time netted me a 12. I suppose it was ego..

At least you realize that it was a bad decision. But even so, I don't think this is going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Just continue working on your ECs until application time. Are you applying next June?

How about DO? Your GPA seems like it's more competitive for DO school.

I wouldn't really worry about the drop from 35 to 33. It has been shown that repeated MCAT scores in the same range are the greatest predictor of how one will do on the USMLE Step 1. Since both your scores are good, you are very likely to have a competitive score on Step 1. It's true that it shows questionable judgment to retake a 35- you should admit that.

I think the F will be held against him to some extent, but the post-bac will do a lot of work to repair that.

Hopefully the hubris of the MCAT repeat wouldn't come across at interviews. You don't want to come across as a perfectionist.

Goro suggests

UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside
USC
UCLA
Dartmouth
Georgetown
U of Miami
Temple
George Washington U
Penn State
Tulane
NYMC
Albany
Virginia Tech
Drexel
Commonwealth
Any other new MD school
Creighton
BU
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS
Western (both)
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
AT Still-SOMA

Reactions: 1 user
How about DO? Your GPA seems like it's more competitive for DO school.

Interestingly enough, my DO science GPA is actually lower, since my engineering courses are what's dragging me down and technically the computer science courses count as math in AACOMAS categories, but AMCAS puts them in the COMP category, outside of BCPM.

I'd say watch out for schools that get tons of applicants. There are people with your same stats and no Fs so it's easy to get passed up.. At least that's my own explanation for my experience thus far.