MD & DO 3.48 cGPA 30 MCAT...help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farnell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am a PA resident, just looking to get in SOMEWHERE...have plenty of shadowing, volunteer, and professional experience...would definitely prefer MD. How does my list look - are there any I that might be beneficial for me to add, or any I have that are not worth applying to?

cGPA 3.48 sGPA 3.38 MCAT 10/9/11 = 30

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth
Penn State
Cooper
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Tulane
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
GW
NYMC
Albany
VCU
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Loma Linda

DO - PCOM and LECOM...

Thanks for your help guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any research experience? Your list looks good to me. Let's see what others think

Do you have any research experience? Your list looks good to me. Let's see what others think

Yes, I have been out of school doing research for two years (full time) and also have some experience in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests:

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth
Penn State
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
NYMC
Albany
VCU
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Loma Linda
Allother new MD schools

DO - PCOM and LECOM...
Any other DO program. Touro NY and VCOM are close to you.

Goro suggests:

Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth
Penn State
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
NYMC
Albany
VCU
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Loma Linda
Allother new MD schools

DO - PCOM and LECOM...
Any other DO program. Touro NY and VCOM are close to you.

Thanks for you input. Why not GW, Tulane, or Cooper? Also, do you suggest I apply to the new ones regardless of whether they take OOS or not?

GW: 10's of thousand of applicants.
Tulane's MCAT floor is 31
Cooper: state school, 22/66 of the 1st year Class were from OOS. Since state schools favor the home team, I'm afraid that your stats might not pass muster with the taxpayers of the Garden State, even if you're from next door.

All of the new schools accept OOS. For example, even though it's a small class, Va Tech has 66% of it's MS1s from OOS. Ditto Quinnipiac/Netter.

Thanks for you input. Why not GW, Tulane, or Cooper? Also, do you suggest I apply to the new ones regardless of whether they take OOS or not?

GW: 10's of thousand of applicants.
Tulane's MCAT floor is 31
Cooper: state school, 22/66 of the 1st year Class were from OOS. Since state schools favor the home team, I'm afraid that your stats might not pass muster with the taxpayers of the Garden State, even if you're from next door.

All of the new schools accept OOS. For example, even though it's a small class, Va Tech has 66% of it's MS1s from OOS. Ditto Quinnipiac/Netter.

Didn't mean to interrupt. I assume what I ask OP will be interested too.

Your info are stream line and right to the point. How can I find out the approx list of new MD schools the past few years? The stat for Va Tech is absolutely valuable. Are the info on their website or because you are school admin and get inside info? :)

MSAR Online is your friend. A valuable resource for med school applicants.

The newest MD schools are:
Netter/Quinnipiac
Hofstra
FIU
FAU
TCMC
Va Tech
Central MI
Western MI
Oakland-Beaumont
Tx Tech-Foster (but favors instate)
Cooper-Rowan
U SoCarolina-Greenville
UC-R (VERY region specific)

FYI: https://members.aamc.org/eweb/uploa...ping Medical Schools in the US and Canada.pdf

My schools is a DO school somewhere west of St Louis; I've been an AdCom member for >12 years.

Didn't mean to interrupt. I assume what I ask OP will be interested too.

Your info are stream line and right to the point. How can I find out the approx list of new MD schools the past few years? The stat for Va Tech is absolutely valuable. Are the info on their website or because you are school admin and get inside info? :)

Reactions: 1 users

Netter/Quinnipiac
Hofstra
FIU
FAU
TCMC
Va Tech
Central MI
Western MI
Oakland-Beaumont
Cooper-Rowan
U SoCarolina-Greenville

FYI: https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/A Snapshot of the New and Developing Medical Schools in the US and Canada.pdf

My schools is a DO school somewhere west of St Louis; I've been an AdCom member for >12 years.

Wow, golden info that saves me many hours of digging.

I do have questions on criteria/definition of 1,2,3 tiers of MD/DO schools; and the pro & con of old/new schools which I will ask later tonight as separate new threads. I sincerely hope, Goro, sir, you can comment.

My apology again to OP for interruption. Thank you!

Netter/Quinnipiac
Hofstra
FIU
FAU
TCMC
Va Tech
Central MI
Western MI
Oakland-Beaumont
Cooper-Rowan
U SoCarolina-Greenville

FYI: https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/A Snapshot of the New and Developing Medical Schools in the US and Canada.pdf

What are your thoughts regarding the MSAR medians? In this case, for example, the median stated for VA Tech is a 33, but the lowest MCAT score reported on MSAR is a 31. OP has a 30- is it still worth applying considering that it is lower than the lowest mcat score listed?

I use the MSAR medians and ranges as guides to advise people on where to apply. Va Tech has a interesting MCAT spread. Not as wide as I'd expect for a new school. My philosophy is that your numbers are < 10th percentile, then it's not worth applying.

Now, if the person you're talking about, with a 30 MCAT, went to Va Tech as a UG, and lives in rural western VA, and has a really good app, then that person shoudl take a chance. But for someone outside of VA, from, say, ILL, I'd say take a pass.

What are your thoughts regarding the MSAR medians? In this case, for example, the median stated for VA Tech is a 33, but the lowest MCAT score reported on MSAR is a 31. OP has a 30- is it still worth applying considering that it is lower than the lowest mcat score listed?