3.4cGPA 3.4sGPA 32MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFEmp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances with the following:

3.4 sGPA & cGPA
BA in Biology
MPH in environmental science (3.9 GPA)
9 months of Clinical Experience
Extensive Volunteer Experience
2.0 Years of Public Health Work
Worked nearly full time throughout undergrad; full time in grad school

My undergraduate experience was a major fail! However I redeemed myself as a graduate student. I'm looking at Texas schools. I'm open to MD & DO

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances with the following:

3.4 sGPA & cGPA
BA in Biology
MPH in environmental science (3.9 GPA)
9 months of Clinical Experience
Extensive Volunteer Experience
2.0 Years of Public Health Work
Worked nearly full time throughout undergrad; full time in grad school

My undergraduate experience was a major fail! However I redeemed myself as a graduate student. I'm looking at Texas schools. I'm open to MD & DO
Any upward grade trend toward the end of the undergrad years?
Having only 9 months of clinical experience is on the light side; what are you doing about that? Or did you work with sick folks during the public health work?
What is the plan for physician shadowing?
Teaching or leadership? Research?
Was the volunteering on campus, or with those with poor economic resources in the general community?
Are you applying now, or is the plan for next June 2012?

That's the problem, the trend was actually downward. Didn't think I'd actually apply to medical school; the intent came after graduation. :/
My public health work did entail working with sick people; i also did a lot of work with talking to people over the phone on how to cope/manage chronic diseases. I learned a great deal about sick people from the position.
Clinical experience varied from a community clinic to a local hospital.
I'm actually working with a professor to some research on carcinogenesis.
I definitely have leadership experience from undergrad (president & secretary of student organizations).
Teaching? I did about 2.5 years of tutoring in college. My favorite position was tutoring ESL students in undeserved school districts.
I'll be applying for fall 2013. I have had some medical issues this year so I'm about to leave work and reserve the next 6 months for bed rest. Then next year I hope to do some research and work.
EC wise I've done a lot! I can go on forever. It's just the undergrad GPA

I'd agree that your ECs sound terrific, even without the research.

The problem will be getting your stats to appeal to Texas schools. And you can't take additional coursework if you're on bed rest, at least not until next spring. I would generally recommend additional undergrad postbac work, getting straight As in upper-level science. Or the SMP-like program at TCOM, which would give you the best shot at Texas MD schools. Even for OOS DO schools, depending on how far you fell, it might be nice to see you demonstrate ability in hard science classes again (to re-establish an upward grade trend), but considering your strong MCAT score, likely you'd be fine for those schools.

Have you considered waiting another year, until June 2013, to apply, so you can do some repair work and have the best shot at MD?

Have you called TCOM to see if you need to do any in order to appeal to them?

You're fine, really. Unless you're aiming to get into every school you apply to, you'll get in somewhere with that stats and ECs. 9 month clinical experience and extensive volunteering is great, low but not terrible GPA and above average MCAT is bound to get you interviews at several schools, and just do well in the interview.
I have a downward trend GPA (3.6 freshman year to 3.38 cGPA ultimately) with above average MCAT (36Q). Clinical experience is on the low side (having just started this year and a summer's worth 4 years ago) but have pretty decent non-clinical volunteering and activities. The only real factor that schools hold against competitive applicants (stat-wise) seems like clinical exposure, cuz that was what held me the last two years, and seeing that you have that experience, you'll be fine