3.4cGPA 3.5sGPA 21 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClaytonB543

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got my first MCAT scores back.

PS/VR/BS - 08/05/08 - 21 :(

I have over 100 hours shadowing 3 doctors. 1 MD and 2 DOs. ER and OR with OB/GYN

I'm applying strictly DO.

Any idea on my chances?

ECs: I worked for 2 years as a patient support assistant for two people in wheelchairs. I handled their medical equipment and meds and stuff. I have been a teacher's assistant for 4 months while in school full time.

I have 4 LORs and they're very strong.

I'm a Spanish major at my University.

I have no idea what happened with my verbal score. I'm not devastated because it could be worse, but I am very, very disappointed.

I don't have time to study full time with school coming soon so I'd be able to retake in March of 2014 - which is way too late for this cycle.

All opinions welcome.

Unfortunately your MCAT is well below the average needed for DO schools. There is always a shot, but be wary that applying can cost alot and sometimes being a re-applicant can hurt you unless you improve significantly. If you really want to apply, then I would apply to perhaps the newer schools or lowest tier schools (I am not too sure how each of the osteopathic schools rank so I do not have any names to throw out there).

Your best choice though is to focus on retaking that MCAT. Your GPA is fine. If you can come back with a 26 or 27 or even higher then you are set for an excellent application cycle next year.

LIBERTY!!! (once it starts taking apps)
LMU
VCOM-VC
VCOM-CC
WVSOM
ACOM
MUCOM
CUSOM
SOMA
KCOM
COMP-NW
KYCOM
PNWU
PCOM-GA
Touro-Middletown (must apply through Touro-NY)

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would sit out this cycle. Your MCAT is just too low. The average matriculant MCAT for the 2011 entering class was 26.5. I'm not saying your chances are zero, just saying it will be very very hard for you to get in this cycle. I would retake the MCAT, boost your ECs (get some research under your belt!), and apply next year. Heck, if you do really well on your MCAT you could apply MD next year.

Disagree. Newer schools are worth a shot.

Are you ESL? That 5VR pretty much kills your chances at all except for a few schools (not mine).

Suggest re-taking MCAT and fixing that VR deficit first.

Just got my first MCAT scores back.

PS/VR/BS - 08/05/08 - 21 :(

I have over 100 hours shadowing 3 doctors. 1 MD and 2 DOs. ER and OR with OB/GYN

I'm applying strictly DO.

Any idea on my chances?

ECs: I worked for 2 years as a patient support assistant for two people in wheelchairs. I handled their medical equipment and meds and stuff. I have been a teacher's assistant for 4 months while in school full time.

I have 4 LORs and they're very strong.

I'm a Spanish major at my University.

I have no idea what happened with my verbal score. I'm not devastated because it could be worse, but I am very, very disappointed.

I don't have time to study full time with school coming soon so I'd be able to retake in March of 2014 - which is way too late for this cycle.

All opinions welcome.

Why'd ya take the MCAT without being 100% prepared for it?!

Youll be fine once that VR score goes up a few pts. Keep studying and don't take it until you're hitting high scores on at least 2-3 practice tests. There is nothing wrong with waiting.

No, I'm not ESL. I was a little pushed for time and had to guess on 6 questions. VR has always been my highest when doing practice exams. Just a fluke. I hope the schools can see past it.

The only way schools will see past the 5 in VR is if you retake the MCAT and pull that score up. Keep in mind that adcoms will not know that your 5 was a "fluke"; therefore, that bit of information is irrelevant, unless you can back it up with proof. Just prepare yourself a little better, relax, and knock the next MCAT out of the park. Good luck! :thumbup: