MD & DO 3.4cGPA, Pending MCAT, Non-Trad (DO/MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velodork

luctor et emergo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
29 yo white male/non trad. Married with a 2 year old at home. Currently a resident of CA but went to highschool in FL where my entire family still resides, so I believe I can make a case for in state status there. Just finishing up my bachelors and on track to graduate with ~3.4cGPA, ~3.6 for DO.

**Received an F my first pass at Gen Chem 2. My son came earlier than expected and I was forced to withdraw from the class near the end of the Semester (after the drop deadline). Retook and made a "B" later on. Non-science major so that F stings extra hard for my sGPA :-(

Strong upward trend in GPA for last 2 years (~3.8).

I'll be taking the MCAT in June and I am ~2 months into intensive studying so assume at least an average score.

EC's include:
2013: Rotary Club Paul Harris Fellow
2013: Published research in the Journal of Microbiological Methods
2006-2011: Worked for a non-profit chemical dependency rehab conducting UAs, monitoring medications, checking vitals, moderating groups
2011-Present: Working for a mid size hospital in the psychiatric department. Duties include case management, utilization review, and regular patient interaction.
2011-Present: captain of an amateur cycling team
2013-Present: elected board member of a non-profit cycling club of ~400 members.
2013-Present: Fundraiser and event coordinator for a large cycling event to benefit alcohol/drug treatment in the area.
2013-Present: Fundraiser for the Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association)

**No shadowing time yet, but plan to have at least ~20 hours with an MD for this application cycle.

Strong letters from all of my affiliations and (I think) a pretty compelling personal statement.

Planning on applying to both DO and MD. As of now I am basing my school list off of MSAR and the DO schools that are in areas where we want to live/have family. I would really appreciate some more feedback on school choices that may be less than obvious to me!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're better off for DOs rather than MDs, though you may have a shot at low tier MDs with a competitive MCAT score.

Please read my signature for types of letters valued by md and do schools.
Keep in mind that DO schools want to see that you've exposed yourself to DO lifestyles. So in your shadowing, trying shadowing at least one DO Doc.

I like your application and feel like you have a good chance provided you nail the MCAT.

Cali MDs are tough to get in but perhaps try the low tier UCs

UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
All Cali DOs
All Florida Schools
All new schools such as OUWB, Rosalind Franklin, Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
You're better off for DOs rather than MDs, though you may have a shot at low tier MDs with a competitive MCAT score.

Please read my signature for types of letters valued by md and do schools.
Keep in mind that DO schools want to see that you've exposed yourself to DO lifestyles. So in your shadowing, trying shadowing at least one DO Doc.

I like your application and feel like you have a good chance provided you nail the MCAT.

Cali MDs are tough to get in but perhaps try the low tier UCs

UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
All Cali DOs
All Florida Schools
All new schools such as OUWB, Rosalind Franklin, Quinnipiac

Thanks for the feedback! How are "new schools" defined? I'd love to check out a more comprehensive list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure, but schools that have opened up within the last 10-15 years I'd imagine.

Paging dr. @Goro for more experienced input.

For MD: Netter, TCMC, Central MI, Oakland, Western MI, FAU, FIU, Va Tech, Hofstra

For DO: ACOM, Wm Carey, CUSOM, VCOM-SC, VCOM-AL, LMU, Touro-Middletown, MUCOM, PCOM-GA

Thanks for the feedback! How are "new schools" defined? I'd love to check out a more comprehensive list...

For MD: Netter, TCMC, Central MI, Oakland, Western MI, FAU, FIU, Va Tech, Hofstra

For DO: ACOM, Wm Carey, CUSOM, VCOM-SC, VCOM-AL, LMU, Touro-Middletown, MUCOM, PCOM-GA

Thanks, @Goro! Do you have any feedback above and beyond what @dr.0ne already suggested? Your opinion is valued!

Omit UCR if you're not from the Inland Empire. Consider Loma Linda, but read their list of don'ts. Strong upward trends are always appreciated. It's hard to advise without an MCAT score, but invest in MSAR Online for starters.

UCI
UC Davis
UC Riverside
All Cali DOs
All Florida Schools
All new schools such as OUWB, Rosalind Franklin, Quinnipiac[/QUOTE]