3.5, 521, URM, Upward Trend. Retake pre reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiktaalik34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I vote for beefing up. You'll be fine!!!

I vote for beefing up. You'll be fine!!!

Is it really a better use of time just focus on extra curriculars? I did about 1.5 years of research at Irvine but I'm thinking of doing more research and volunteering at a local clinic. That's if I don't retake those pre reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
URM + 521 =
Borat-Outfield-Sleepers-Great-Success-300x336.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I have 5 acceptances as a URM with a 3.5 gpa and 516 MCAT. I also do have extensive research, leadership, clinical experiences, and community service too but from a grade standpoint, I doubt your MCAT or gpa will hold you back if you're solid in all other areas!!!!!

Though I did not get Cs in 3 pre-reqs so maybe others can chime in there

Reactions: 1 user
As a URM with a higher GPA but average mcat, I think I have the right to say you guys are overthinking this. I had a ton of success this cycle. Apply broad, apply smart and you will be fine.

What community do you represent? And please don't say San Diego.
I suggest that you beef up the ECs. Make sure you have evidence of service commitments to your community.

I graduated this past spring 2015. I took the MCAT in September and got a 521.

I'm debating if I should retake Physics 1, Gen Chem 2, and Ochem 2 (got C's in all of these while I was at Community College). I transferred from a CC to UC Irvine . My CC gpa is a 3.3 with 102.5 semester units. I had such a low gpa because I was working near full time and had to help pay the rent. I then went to UC Irvine where I graduated w/ a 3.87 as a Biology major.

My cumulative is currently a 3.51. I am currently taking anatomy at a CC. Retaking those 3 prereqs would increase my cumulative gpa to a 3.6, given that I ace the retakes as well as anatomy (using the AMCAS replacement guidelines).

I was debating if I should retake those classes or if I should just focus on beefing up my app before applying?

What community do you represent? And please don't say San Diego.
I suggest that you beef up the ECs. Make sure you have evidence of service commitments to your community.

Haha, I'm Mexican but from the Bay Area. I don't exactly have a blank spot in the EC category but would appreciate some insight as to what I should focus on improving.
EC's:
- Tutored Bio and Chem at my Community college
- 1.5 years of research at Irvine. 1 Poster presentation, no pubs
- worked near full time during my 3 years at CC
- 160 hours of medically related volunteering
- 70 hours of shadowing
- Non medical volunteering-- Delivered left over cafeteria food to the homeless shelter every week

Keep in mind that AMCAS doesn't have a grade replacement policy. That said, I wouldn't worry about those Cs if you've done well in your science courses at UC Irvine. How many science credits have you taken there?

Congrats on rocking the mcat!! It looks like you're building a monster app!!!

Non-clinicals are best when they're of service to others less fortunate than yourself.

But you look golden. Your list should start with ALL CA schools (well, maybe not Loma Linda).

Haha, I'm Mexican but from the Bay Area. I don't exactly have a blank spot in the EC category but would appreciate some insight as to what I should focus on improving.
EC's:
- Tutored Bio and Chem at my Community college
- 1.5 years of research at Irvine. 1 Poster presentation, no pubs
- worked near full time during my 3 years at CC
- 160 hours of medically related volunteering
- 70 hours of shadowing
- Non medical volunteering-- Delivered left over cafeteria food to the homeless shelter every week

Keep in mind that AMCAS doesn't have a grade replacement policy. That said, I wouldn't worry about those Cs if you've done well in your science courses at UC Irvine. How many science credits have you taken there?

Congrats on rocking the mcat!! It looks like you're building a monster app!!!

Thanks! I understand that AMCAS guidelines allow you to average the new grade with the old grade. That's what I meant when I referred to grade replacement. I took 82 quarter units at UC Irvine, with 55 of those units coming from upper division sciences. My upper div gpa is a 3.81

What's your BCPM gpa?

I honestly think you'll be fine if you applied even now, but if you need to beef up your EC's over the next year or two, you might as well take some classes at the same time to solidify your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I understand that AMCAS guidelines allow you to average the new grade with the old grade. That's what I meant when I referred to grade replacement. I took 82 quarter units at UC Irvine, with 55 of those units coming from upper division sciences. My upper div gpa is a 3.81
So that's about ~36-37 credits of science coursework with a 3.8 gpa, which is what adcoms are looking for. Did you take biochem at UC Irvine?

Have you been involved within the Latino Community? Do you speak Spanish?
You should translate!
Ive been doing very well this cycle and my MCAT was only a 34.
PM me if you want my school list.
You are going to crush man!

You should translate!

Your profile is private, can you pm me how your cycle is going? I have similar stats and status.

Are you applying next cycle? I'll PM you when I get home (currently using phone).

I am applying the summer after this one actually. I luckily got into research early and had things to show for it before the end of junior year. Will be spending another year building my app.

What's your BCPM gpa?

I honestly think you'll be fine if you applied even now, but if you need to beef up your EC's over the next year or two, you might as well take some classes at the same time to solidify your app.

BCPM is going to be a 3.47 given that I get an A in Anatomy. If I retake only physics1 and chem2 (leaving out ochem), then my BCPM will raise to a 3.618. If I retake ochem2 as well then it will go up to a 3.669. Idk if its worth doing this at the expense of adding on more ec's...

You should translate!

Thanks a lot man! I do speak spanish and want to join a clinic in my home town that serves the Latino community.

So that's about ~36-37 credits of science coursework with a 3.8 gpa, which is what adcoms are looking for. Did you take biochem at UC Irvine?

Yea I took biochem as well as genetics, physiology, cell biology.

BCPM is going to be a 3.47 given that I get an A in Anatomy. If I retake only physics1 and chem2 (leaving out ochem), then my BCPM will raise to a 3.618. If I retake ochem2 as well then it will go up to a 3.669. Idk if its worth doing this at the expense of adding on more ec's...

I think you'd get in if you were to apply this cycle and interviewed well and applied broadly. If you take a year to boost your EC's and take a couple of those classes, you could likely reach quite a bit higher.

I'm not sure how you're calculating your gpa though since your grades would average instead of being replaced and the overall rise seems a bit high, but if you're doing the math right then that would be way better. Obviously, at some point you have to stop building an app and actually apply.

I think you'd get in if you were to apply this cycle and interviewed well and applied broadly. If you take a year to boost your EC's and take a couple of those classes, you could likely reach quite a bit higher.

I'm not sure how you're calculating your gpa though since your grades would average instead of being replaced and the overall rise seems a bit high, but if you're doing the math right then that would be way better. Obviously, at some point you have to stop building an app and actually apply.

Yea I'm taking into account that the new and old grade will be averaged rather than replaced. The math is right because my pre reqs were in semester units while Irvine is on the quarter system. So the pre reqs hold more magnitude. I guess I'll retake the classes and try to do clinical work with the latino community. Thanks for the insight everyone

Yea I'm taking into account that the new and old grade will be averaged rather than replaced. The math is right because my pre reqs were in semester units while Irvine is on the quarter system. So the pre reqs hold more magnitude. I guess I'll retake the classes and try to do clinical work with the latino community. Thanks for the insight everyone
Look at it this way, with a 3.6 sgpa, you'll be at Stanford's 10th percentile. Your mcat is already above their median. Hell, it's even good enough for Wash U!

Put together the best possible app before applying, even if it takes a little more time. You'll thank yourself later. ¡Buena suerte!

Reactions: 1 users