MD & DO 3.5 and 34P. What're my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mednola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How old is your MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have any problems getting accepted. Your MCAt is very well rounded. Your GPA is a bit weak but I think you make up for it with everything else. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much and would apply EARLY and you should be good to go. I wouldn't go crazy on applying to DOs with your stats but definitly put 3 just in case

Yeah, you should fine if you apply early. I had a 3.45cGPA 3.35sGPA 32MCAT and got an MD acceptance. I was curious about the MCAT date because I thought 2011 was the last time the writing sample was still on there (I got an L☺️, wish they would've gotten rid of it sooner).

Could go either way with MD with my guess leaning toward the positive outcome. DO just apply to a couple of backups that you would attend if they were your only choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely take AlbinoHawk DO's advice. You should be okay MD wise if you apply early and broadly but you should definitely apply to 3-5 DO schools as well. Trust me, you don't want to do this more than once.

Thanks so much for the positivity! given I want to stay on the east coast, any good school suggestions? I'm definitely applying to Tulane. Any others?

Last edited:
The sGPA is a concern. Invest in MSAR and target schools whose median numbers are close to your own. NYMC and MCW are two that come to mind. Don't forget the newest MD programs as well. You're fine for any DO program, including mine.

I’m looking for advice on where to apply so I don't waste too much money…

Biology B.S. at highly ranked state school
~cGPA = 3.50 and sGPA = 3.35 (had 2 low semesters the year a parent passed away, but all pre-reqs are A/B’s)
~34P MCAT (11VR/11PS/12BS)

EC’s are decent:
~2.5 years research experience. No publications, but awarded a pretty selective school-wide grant doing a completely independent project
~3+ years clinical experience working paid job in a hospital during undergrad
~Founded a returning international, health related service-learning trip
~Current Teach For America corps member (some special recognitions during commitment, will have finished commitment upon enrollment in medical school)
~Other small things that could make for conversation

LOR’s should be good (from doctor I worked for, my PI, a science and a non-science)

I know my GPA won’t help me, so I need advice on where to apply for MD on the east coast – are there any schools I have a good shot applying to? I’m not picky about “prestige.” I will also consider DO if my MD chances are too low. Ready for any advice at all.