3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xeruif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
was going to retake the MCAT, but i'm not sure i may since i'm interested in primary care, and wouldn't mind attending a DO school.

i have a strong upward trend (last 53 consecutive credits = 4.0), 1 year of biochemistry research, 1500+ hours as an ER tech, club involvement during college, and both medical and non medically related volunteer experiences.

i live in the south and went to my state school, and also worked 20 hours per week throughout undergrad.

thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably be able to snag an acceptance to one of the lower tiered DO schools assuming your ECs are where they need to be. Maybe the one or two of the middle ones. Apply June 1st.

I think DO is very realistic and really a lower-tier should be the goal, beyond that you also have the choice organize a program that can boost your GPA and try a re-take on the MCAT. Apply june 1st to DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
was going to retake the MCAT, but i'm not sure i may since i'm interested in primary care, and wouldn't mind attending a DO school.

i have a strong upward trend (last 53 consecutive credits = 4.0), 1 year of biochemistry research, 1500+ hours as an ER tech, club involvement during college, and both medical and non medically related volunteer experiences.

i live in the south and went to my state school, and also worked 20 hours per week throughout undergrad.

What is your MCAT breakdown? If everything is 6+, you will probably get in.

SDNers are going to shun me for a month, but I'd apply to one low-tier MD school. You're EC's are gracious, you have a lot of time in the hospital under your belt, you have more than a semester's worth of research, your GPA is above a 3.3, and your (somewhat crappy) MCAT, is not crapppy at all if you got all 8's!! Idk what your home state is, but for example, new jersey school of medicine doesn't consider anyone who scored lower than a 6 on any one subject, meanwhile their sister school, robert wood, doesn't consider anyone who scored below a 22. You'd be surprised how far an incredible PS, and some "real life experience" a.k.a work for twenty hours a week in undergrad for 4 years, can take you. If you had time to work, volunteer, do all of these things and keep a moderate GPA, I would certainly at least invite you for an interview and hear what you have to say, and see how passionate you are.

However, please don't get your hopes too up, I am well aware of allopathic stat AVERAGES, however, that is what they are, they are simply averages. I'm sure 1-3 people each year make it into a low-tier allopathic class for each bottom half school with your stats. All I am saying is, try one or two places.. afterall, you apply only once! (hopefully)

SDNers are going to shun me for a month, but I'd apply to one low-tier MD school. You're EC's are gracious, you have a lot of time in the hospital under your belt, you have more than a semester's worth of research, your GPA is above a 3.3, and your (somewhat crappy) MCAT, is not crapppy at all if you got all 8's!! Idk what your home state is, but for example, new jersey school of medicine doesn't consider anyone who scored lower than a 6 on any one subject, meanwhile their sister school, robert wood, doesn't consider anyone who scored below a 22. You'd be surprised how far an incredible PS, and some "real life experience" a.k.a work for twenty hours a week in undergrad for 4 years, can take you. If you had time to work, volunteer, do all of these things and keep a moderate GPA, I would certainly at least invite you for an interview and hear what you have to say, and see how passionate you are.

However, please don't get your hopes too up, I am well aware of allopathic stat AVERAGES, however, that is what they are, they are simply averages. I'm sure 1-3 people each year make it into a low-tier allopathic class for each bottom half school with your stats. All I am saying is, try one or two places.. afterall, you apply only once! (hopefully)
Unlikely to get into MD unless OP is an URM...

I would say almost any DO is probable.

Unlikely to get into MD unless OP is an URM...

Definitely unlikely! Even if URM, unlikely. But still, from what I know and understand and read over the years, depending on OP's state school, OP's writing abilities, etc... I think that there is a high enough chance where it is worth spending the extra $80 or whatever it is to apply. In the grand scheme of things, the shot is still low, but visible.

I think DO is very realistic and really a lower-tier should be the goal, beyond that you also have the choice organize a program that can boost your GPA and try a re-take on the MCAT. Apply june 1st to DO.
OP does not need a GPA boost ...3.5 cGPA, 3.3sGPA are good for DO. I think OP needs an MCAT boost if he/she is aiming for a top DO....As it stands now, OP has chance to get into many low tiers DO if other parts of the applications are solid.

MD no shot at all. It is just too competitive. DO is low chance as well unless you retake the MCAT. There are just so many people applying these days it will be a krapshoot in your current situation.

The upward trend (similar to yours) made all the difference for me and I got into my top choice (DO) school. With all 8s, you have a pretty good chance at many schools.

do you think you could get the mcat up to 27-29?