3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA 36 MCAT applying next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a relatively new member to the forums, but I have read countless threads on this site. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am currently in my first gap year after college after graduating from college. Connecticut resident.

My stats expected at time of application next June:
-3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.3 science GPA, Biology Major, Philosophy Minor (slight upward trend: about 3.15 Freshman year, 3.6 Sophomore year, 3.6low Junior Year, 3.6mid Senior Year with ups and downs during the individual semesters)
-36 MCAT (12-12-12) taken just over a month ago
-400+ clinical emergency/hospital volunteer hours (320 currently)
-200+ research hours + hopefully name on a publication (20 currently, just started 20 hr/week job)
-50-100 physician shadowing hours (10 currently shadowing an E.M. Doc + 16 shadowing a Neurosurgical PA)
-100 hours non-clinical volunteering
-400+ hours TAing experience in Histology (2 semesters) and Physiology
-Very strong LORs except 1 of my science instructor letters
-EMT-B Certification
-Chemistry Tutor

I have two questions, the first being: Given these stats, what are my chances for mid-tier MD schools? How about upper-tier?

Second question: Should I enroll in some non degree post bac coursework, to boost up my science gpa and show medical schools I can handle tough science coursework? If I'm succesful at this will it raise my chances at mid-tier/upper-tier schools?

Also, I am dissatisfied with one of my science LORs and want to replace it with a better one, but that would only require 1 or 2 science courses to accomplish. I am debating taking 4 hard but incredibly interesting science courses (Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy, Genetics, Nuclear Physics - Radiation Medicine and Medical Imaging) with the intent of getting As in these classes.

Do you think a 4.0 GPA in 12 credits (this would raise my 3.3 sGPA to a 3.4 sGPA) of these hard science classes would improve adcoms view of my academic readiness?

Thanks again for any advice.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, a friendly word of caution: you provided a bit too much personal information on this forum (especially your undergraduate institution). Before anyone quotes you, get rid of that piece of information immediately.

Second, we are stats twins! I'll be going in with a 3.6/3.3 and 35 MCAT, so I'll be stalking around this post for some responses. I'll bump this thread a couple of times if necessary.

Ahh thanks for the heads up! I took out some of the personal info and trimmed it down a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumping this for you because i have similar-ish stats.

Me too. Anybody out there?? :whistle: Many thanks in advance for your help!:love:

Hey all. I'm a relatively new member to the forums, but I have read countless threads on this site. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am currently in my first gap year after college after graduating from college. Connecticut resident.

My stats expected at time of application next June:
-3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.3 science GPA, Biology Major, Philosophy Minor (slight upward trend: about 3.15 Freshman year, 3.6 Sophomore year, 3.6low Junior Year, 3.6mid Senior Year with ups and downs during the individual semesters)
-36 MCAT (12-12-12) taken just over a month ago
-400+ clinical emergency/hospital volunteer hours (320 currently)
-200+ research hours + hopefully name on a publication (20 currently, just started 20 hr/week job)
-50-100 physician shadowing hours (10 currently shadowing an E.M. Doc + 16 shadowing a Neurosurgical PA)
-100 hours non-clinical volunteering
-400+ hours TAing experience in Histology (2 semesters) and Physiology
-Very strong LORs except 1 of my science instructor letters
-EMT-B Certification
-Chemistry Tutor

I have two questions, the first being: Given these stats, what are my chances for mid-tier MD schools? How about upper-tier?

Second question: Should I enroll in some non degree post bac coursework, to boost up my science gpa and show medical schools I can handle tough science coursework? If I'm succesful at this will it raise my chances at mid-tier/upper-tier schools?

Also, I am dissatisfied with one of my science LORs and want to replace it with a better one, but that would only require 1 or 2 science courses to accomplish. I am debating taking 4 hard but incredibly interesting science courses (Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy, Genetics, Nuclear Physics - Radiation Medicine and Medical Imaging) with the intent of getting As in these classes.

Do you think a 4.0 GPA in 12 credits (this would raise my 3.3 sGPA to a 3.4 sGPA) of these hard science classes would improve adcoms view of my academic readiness?

Thanks again for any advice.:)

Any improvement to GPA is seen positively of course, and might benefit you more than a person who goes 3.8 --> 3.9 because your GPA is below average. With that said, you should still be competitive for mid-tiers and you could maybe even snag a top if you have the funds to drop on lots of apps or get lucky.

Any improvement to GPA is seen positively of course, and might benefit you more than a person who goes 3.8 --> 3.9 because your GPA is below average. With that said, you should still be competitive for mid-tiers and you could maybe even snag a top if you have the funds to drop on lots of apps or get lucky.

that might be a bit too optimistic. a 3.5/3.3 and 36, with strong ECs is good enough for many MD schools, but i say that the top tiers are out of reach with that sGPA. i would focus on low/mid tier MD schools, and perhaps ever a DO or two just in case.

i have a 3.6/3.3 and 35, with strong ECs, but i have no confidence that a mid-tier MD is well within reach. i'll be focusing on low-tier MDs and possibly DOs.

EDIT: having said all of that, i do know people with 3.6/3.3 and 35+ MCAT scores getting into pretty top MD schools. not top 20 top, but definitely really good MD schools.

not top 20 top, but definitely really good MD schools.
You're on SDN, bud. If it ain't top 20, you might as well get your sunblock ready for the Caribbean.

In all seriousness, OP, don't get your hopes up too much about top schools, but you seem solid for a mid-tier, I think. 36 MCAT, and perfectly balanced too.

Thank you all very much for the replies!

I think my application is pretty well-rounded and my ECs are decent, but I don't have much except the MCAT that stands out. So I'm hoping that will be the clinching factor especially for numbers driven MD schools that are looking to raise their average MCAT score and verbal subscore and are willing to take a slight drop in cGPA and sGPA averages to do that.

Looking at the MSAR, I feel as though I'm on the cusp of the normal acceptance range for a lot of mid-tier schools for cGPA and sGPA. My thought process is that a 3.3 sGPA to 3.4sGPA bump via some postbac coursework is pretty significant for a ton of mid-tier schools to get me into the normal (10 - 90%) range.

From a more qualitative perspective, I think adcoms will see a perfect performance in challenging science coursework at this point in my career as a sign of competence, stability, and maturity, especially after the MCAT. So I'm thinking that, statistically I'll have a better shot of getting looked at and not screened out, and then when adcoms look at my application thoroughly they will have something that convinces them that I am perfectly ready for the tough med school curriculum.

The issue right now is that I am very busy as I am currently a research assistant, teaching assistant, a tutor, and weekly hospital volunteer. I'm definitely going to take at least one course because of interest, not wanting to go too long without coursework, and a need for a stronger science LOR. But the question is should I take 3 or 4 courses?

I feel as though I can pull it off, but is it worth it to do this given my current activities? I might be making too big a deal about a 0.1 point sGPA bump, though MSAR makes me think the difference between 3.3 and 3.4 sGPA is rather significant for many mid-tiers.

Thanks again everyone. I hope it's not too annoying that I'm obsessing about some pretty small details. This website is really an awesome place for all of us that go through this challenging process, and I appreciate the advice and wisdom so many of you are willing to give.

I have almost the same stats as you with worse EC's (3.5 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 37 MCAT, 100 hours of volunteering and shadowing) and I already have two acceptances in hand for this cycle. Are they from top-tier, Harvard/JH-like MD schools? Not quite, but they're med schools in the US, and at the end of the day that is all that matters. If you can pull up your GPA, great. If not, just focus on making your application tell a story and apply broadly to schools in the northeast, you should get some love from a very good school (just not necessarily the top tier). You'll be fine, best of luck.

Apply broadly and you'll be fine. Top schools are out of reach, but mid tiers may be possible.

Don't assume that you'll get a publication in only a few months. You'll have to be very very very hardworking and lucky for that. But who knows, so best of luck!

I have almost the same stats as you with worse EC's (3.5 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 37 MCAT, 100 hours of volunteering and shadowing) and I already have two acceptances in hand for this cycle. Are they from top-tier, Harvard/JH-like MD schools? Not quite, but they're med schools in the US, and at the end of the day that is all that matters. If you can pull up your GPA, great. If not, just focus on making your application tell a story and apply broadly to schools in the northeast, you should get some love from a very good school (just not necessarily the top tier). You'll be fine, best of luck.

congrats on your acceptances! but keep in mind that the OP has a 3.3 sGPA, and the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.5 when it comes to sGPA is quite substantial.

Congrats on the acceptances! That's awesome to hear and thanks for the reassurance.

I'm leaning more and more towards trying to bump up the sGPA to the 3.4 range. The difficult part will be to maintain my EC's with 3-4 science courses. It'll be tough, but considering my EC's are already at least decent, I think this is the best thing I can do for my application before next June. This decision is quite hard to make though, I must admit.