MD & DO 3.5 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 519 MCAT gap year advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyejaykay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get feedback on my chances/how to best improve them. I'm finishing up my undergraduate this semester and was hoping to apply this cycle or next. My main concern is my GPA, especially in science. I had a few bad semesters freshman/sophomore year but a strong upward trend (3.92 for the past 5 semesters). My senior year I didn't have the finances for a full course load so I've only taken 6 credits each semester while working full-time. I'm feeling like this may have been a mistake and I should have taken out loans in order to maintain a full course load and boost my science GPA. I'm also worried that schools are going to look at the part-time status negatively.

Stats:
Biology Major
GPA 3.5/3.3
MCAT 519(128/128/131/132)
Florida resident
White female

ECs:
~1500 paid clinical hours as CNA on cardiac floor of hospital
15 hours shadowing (family practice and orthopedic surgeon)
1.5 years cardiomyopathy research at university (publication projected for summer)
1.5 years research with clinical musculoskeletal study at private organization
8 months genomics research at university (publication in progress)
Worked at substance abuse rehabilitation facility for 2 yrs
Membership in pre-healthcare organizations
~250 non-clinical volunteer hours
Active in community voter outreach
Strong LOR's lined up

For my gap year, I'm planning on building up my shadowing and volunteering hours. I'm also considering completing a science master's program in hopes of raising my cGPA/sGPA but I'm not sure how significantly it'll help my chances. Would this be my best option or is there something else that I could work on that would be more beneficial? Also, should I be considering DO schools with my stats? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

With a strong upward trend and your MCAT score you should be competitive for MD schools. If your grades are good this semester your GPA will be a little higher. A masters program will not significantly help your chances and may just add to your debt load. Apply to all your schools in Florida and consider:
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hofstra
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Any private MD school that opens in 2017 (Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Roseman).
The GPA MCAT grid shows you have a 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. If you apply to at least 20 schools in June and submit all your secondaries by July your chances would be even greater.
Yu could also apply to the 2 DO schools in Florida.

Youre a good candidate for the schools in your state.

I dont really recommend applying to alot of these lower tier low yield programs that get bombared with apps(ie Drexel, GW etc) where your MCAT is above the 90th percentile. Stick to the programs in your state, and use MSAR to target schools most likely to interview which are those where your GPA is relatively close to their 10th percentile and the MCAT isnt above their 90th percentile(ie Case and Hofstra are good examples). Just like aiming too high isnt ideal, aiming too low wont get you more IIs.

A good OOS list and your IS programs though should be plenty to generate a solid amount of MD interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get feedback on my chances/how to best improve them. I'm finishing up my undergraduate this semester and was hoping to apply this cycle or next. My main concern is my GPA, especially in science. I had a few bad semesters freshman/sophomore year but a strong upward trend (3.92 for the past 5 semesters). My senior year I didn't have the finances for a full course load so I've only taken 6 credits each semester while working full-time. I'm feeling like this may have been a mistake and I should have taken out loans in order to maintain a full course load and boost my science GPA. I'm also worried that schools are going to look at the part-time status negatively.

Stats:
Biology Major
GPA 3.5/3.3
MCAT 519(128/128/131/132)
Florida resident
White female

ECs:
~1500 paid clinical hours as CNA on cardiac floor of hospital
15 hours shadowing (family practice and orthopedic surgeon)
1.5 years cardiomyopathy research at university (publication projected for summer)
1.5 years research with clinical musculoskeletal study at private organization
8 months genomics research at university (publication in progress)
Worked at substance abuse rehabilitation facility for 2 yrs
Membership in pre-healthcare organizations
~250 non-clinical volunteer hours
Active in community voter outreach
Strong LOR's lined up

For my gap year, I'm planning on building up my shadowing and volunteering hours. I'm also considering completing a science master's program in hopes of raising my cGPA/sGPA but I'm not sure how significantly it'll help my chances. Would this be my best option or is there something else that I could work on that would be more beneficial? Also, should I be considering DO schools with my stats? Any advice would be appreciated!
If I were you, I'd keep taking undergraduate science classes after graduation to hammer away at that science GPA as much as possible. 1 full year of upper level science A's should get it into the 3.4-3.5 range. Do well this semester, apply this summer, while taking a few science classes each semester, summer included. Update schools with your grades as you get them. Continue clinical experience somehow. Do this and you have a decent chance at getting in this cycle, and a very good chance next cycle. Get the full mileage out of that MCAT by applying with it from now until it expires. Some years are more/less competitive than others.