3.5 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, MCAT ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean13

wiked
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience in Sept 2010
Low GPA due to working 40+ hrs/week throughout undergrad to pay for tuition and living expenses
Applying broadly, MD & DO
CT resident (UCONN may be a bit out of my reach)

cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.37

CLINICAL EC's:

- Clinical Research Coordinator in Rheumatology research for the past 3 years (40 hrs/wk, 2000+ hrs of patient contact)
- Shadowed DO (250 hours)
- Shadowed MD (200 hours)
- Research Assistant in Rheumatology research for 1 year (30 hrs/wk)
- Hospital Volunteer Ambassador 3 months, (6 hrs/wk)

NON-CLINICAL EC's:

- Biology, Psychology and Chemistry Peer Tutor
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Vice President

OTHER:

- Spent most of my time before jobs in Rheumatology waitressing, dog-sitting etc. 40 + hrs/wk
- Finished undergrad in Honors program in 3 years

Any input is greatly appreciated! I know it is difficult without an MCAT score but feedback on GPA and EC's would be fantastic.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think you have a good chance of getting in. There will be several schools that reject you based on numbers alone, but I personally wouldn't want to go to a school that put such high values on numbers anyway.
I think your ECs look great! It looks good that you put in so many hours for both DO and MD. As far as the GPA goes, make sure that you mentioned somewhere that you worked full-time while going to school. If you didn't, you should really bring it up in any interviews that you get. They might already see the connection when they look at the "work" section in your applications, but it'll be good to just remind them that you supported yourself through college.

With a 3.5 cGPA, your GPA is just above the average for entering DO students of 3.48 and a bit below the mean for MD acceptees of 3.66. So depending on MCAT score you still have a potential shot at either.

Your shadowing is well above average (hopefully you are getting a DO LOR?) as is your clinical experience and research. If your clinical experience is one-sided (no sick people) you might consider a brief stint in another milieu where you'll have contact with those who are medically ill and/or injured, rather than with those solely with medical conditions who are currently stable.

You have something to list for teaching, and possibly for leadership depending on the intensity of the role you took as VP. Other than the 3 months of volunteer ambassador, I'm not clear on what other volunteer work you've done. If none, then this is an area to work on.

Waitressing is a great job to have as it needs people skills and problem solving.