3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yOy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope the mods will not mind me posting this thread because I do have a thread in the postbacc board asking whether or not I should do an SMP. I wanted to post this here to go into much more detail and I think this board may be more appropriate + gets more traffic. This is going to be a bit long - please bear with me.

My cGPA is slightly under 3.5 and my sGPA is slightly under 3.4 from a large but not prestigious state school. I had some very strong semesters (3.9+) and some not so great ones. My prereqs are almost all A's. I have graduated already and am in a gap year right now (I did not apply as a senior). I took my MCAT in April of last year after a couple weeks of studying (I decided to take at the last minute) and scored a 30 (8 PS, 11 VR/BIO). I applied to many schools and had an interview with one school. They rejected me post interview (I think I was a poor fit for the school, plus they may have felt my interest in medicine not to be genuine or not well thought out due to my limited EC). I am still waiting on hearing from 8-9 schools.

My letters of recommendation I think were average at best. I didn't really know any of my professors very well in UG except for one. My EC are very slim with nothing my first two years of school. I did a summer of volunteering at a hospital, community service through the premed club, and I have done a year of hospital research in my gap year with a publication in progress right now. I am planning on continuing researching through the summer (with a different institution). I have also done about 50 hours of shadowing during this year.

I did one semester of GPA repair this year and got a 3.7 for the semester although I think it will be downgraded by AMCAS due to the weird GPA conversion they do with the school I attended. I am only researching right now - no school.

My question is, should I apply again this upcoming year? I was planning on retaking the MCAT in May if I am reapplying this year because I think with adequate study (more than the three weeks I did last time) I can do much better (the two responses I rec'd in the other thread said do not retake). My recs would probably be the same ones from the year prior but with additional strong recs from my research job.

The other option is to not reapply this upcoming year and perhaps take the MCAT in August. Then I would do a year of post-bacc classes or an SMP or some sort of Masters degree before reapplying. If I do this option - in particular post bacc classes - how many credits should I take each semester? I have taken virtually all the UG bio classes offered at schools in my area (there isn't that much variety), so I would have to take remaining 500 level courses and perhaps 600 level grad courses since they allow senior/post-baccs to take them. How many could/should I do in a semester? - I am afraid of overloading and then performing poorly.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I do not want to say my state of res, but it is one of the "desirable" states (not TX).

Members don't see this ad.

I hope the mods will not mind me posting this thread because I do have a thread in the postbacc board asking whether or not I should do an SMP. I wanted to post this here to go into much more detail and I think this board may be more appropriate + gets more traffic. This is going to be a bit long - please bear with me.

My cGPA is slightly under 3.5 and my sGPA is slightly under 3.4 from a large but not prestigious state school. I had some very strong semesters (3.9+) and some not so great ones. My prereqs are almost all A's. I have graduated already and am in a gap year right now (I did not apply as a senior). I took my MCAT in April of last year after a couple weeks of studying (I decided to take at the last minute) and scored a 30 (8 PS, 11 VR/BIO). I applied to many schools and had an interview with one school. They rejected me post interview (I think I was a poor fit for the school, plus they may have felt my interest in medicine not to be genuine or not well thought out due to my limited EC). I am still waiting on hearing from 8-9 schools.

My letters of recommendation I think were average at best. I didn't really know any of my professors very well in UG except for one. My EC are very slim with nothing my first two years of school. I did a summer of volunteering at a hospital, community service through the premed club, and I have done a year of hospital research in my gap year with a publication in progress right now. I am planning on continuing researching through the summer (with a different institution). I have also done about 50 hours of shadowing during this year.

I did one semester of GPA repair this year and got a 3.7 for the semester although I think it will be downgraded by AMCAS due to the weird GPA conversion they do with the school I attended. I am only researching right now - no school.

My question is, should I apply again this upcoming year? I was planning on retaking the MCAT in May if I am reapplying this year because I think with adequate study (more than the three weeks I did last time) I can do much better (the two responses I rec'd in the other thread said do not retake). My recs would probably be the same ones from the year prior but with additional strong recs from my research job.

The other option is to not reapply this upcoming year and perhaps take the MCAT in August. Then I would do a year of post-bacc classes or an SMP or some sort of Masters degree before reapplying. If I do this option - in particular post bacc classes - how many credits should I take each semester? I have taken virtually all the UG bio classes offered at schools in my area (there isn't that much variety), so I would have to take remaining 500 level courses and perhaps 600 level grad courses since they allow senior/post-baccs to take them. How many could/should I do in a semester? - I am afraid of overloading and then performing poorly.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I do not want to say my state of res, but it is one of the "desirable" states (not TX).
What was your cGPA for each of the last 4 semesters of college?

Does the cGPA of ~3.5 include last semester's postbac classes? If not what is your overall GPA right now? If you do 30 hours of postbac next year and get stright As, how would your cGPA and BCPM look then?

AMCAS GPA calculator: a modifiable version/also calc BCPM:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590424

AMCAS grade conversion guide: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

What type of patient interaction do you have with the hospital research?

What physicians did you shadow?

How many hours of nonmedical community service did you list? Any Leadership and/or Teaching?

Did you work on relationship building with your instuctors last semester so as to inspire stronger LoRs?

I don't really think you need to go to the extreme of an SMP, but do you have the financial resources for one?

As you only spent a few weeks studying for the MCAT before, it seems likely you could do much better taking the typical 2-3 months for dedicated study. But I would not retake if you are not repeatedly scoring at least three more points on multiple practice tests. An MCAT of 30 isn't bad, but a stronger score would help a lot to balance your weaker GPAs.

Are you willing to include some DO schools the next time you apply to make acceptance somewhere more likely?

You are in around the 50% accepted range, slightly lower MCAT but decent GPA. This means the catalystik questions about ECs are hitting the nail on the head, that your ECs determine if your are interviewed or not.

And, I do not know any of those answers, and I would not apply this year, but next year after post-baccs - maybe 15 credits per quarter is a good bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your cGPA for each of the last 4 semesters of college?
3.4, 4.0 (summer - 5 credits), 3.95, 3.45, 2.7 (bombed...only had one semester of senior year, which was this one)

Does the cGPA of ~3.5 include last semester's postbac classes? If not what is your overall GPA right now? If you do 30 hours of postbac next year and get stright As, how would your cGPA and BCPM look then?
Yes - overall right now is 3.5. If I did all A's in 30 credits, I would have a 3.58 cGPA and 3.53 sGPA.

What type of patient interaction do you have with the hospital research?
I did one project where I surveyed patients in the hospital, but that was not v. substantial. Patient interaction is not a big part of my research position, TBH.

What physicians did you shadow?
I shadowed internists in the hospital on the inpatient unit.

How many hours of nonmedical community service did you list? Any Leadership and/or Teaching?
I didn't list the amount of hours (just mentioned it in the description as something I did regularly with the club), but it was roughly 80.

Did you work on relationship building with your instuctors last semester so as to inspire stronger LoRs?
Unfortunately, I did not. I know this was a mistake.

I don't really think you need to go to the extreme of an SMP, but do you have the financial resources for one?
I would take loans, although I think my parents would help with my room/board stuff...I wouldn't ask them to contribute to tuition.

OP I'm going to be very honest with you and you probably know this too. Your GPA is not bad and your MCAT is not bad either. The biggest killers of your application are the weak ECs, "average LORs" and the 2.7 GPA in a recent semester. Now the problem with these three things is that it's going to put a lot of doubts into the mind of ADCOM and it's going to show most schools that you're really not into medicine. You have an easy solution get into the SMP program build a VERY close relationship with your professors. It's easy to build relationships, ask a lot of question in class, visit tons of office hours for help and just be yourself (a genuinely friendly person)!
Medical schools are huge on LORs when it comes to the final decision so if they feel like your professors aren't very supportive they're just going to walk away from you simply because of the high competition. Kill the SMP program with a GPA at the very least of a 3.6. Spend one year putting yourself into more clinical and non-clinical volunteering (I picked the entire weekend to focus on my ECs for 4-5 hours per day). Let's say you volunteer 4 hours for Friday, Saturday, Sunday then you have 12 hours a week. 12 x 52 = 624 hours of clinical and non-clinical volunteering which would make your ECs absolutely amazing.
If you don't want to take a gap year and possibly reapply this year then take the MCAT in May and just see what you score but then again it's still a risk due to WEAK ECs and LORs.
You're close to getting accepted, you only have a little bit of work! :thumbup:

I would recommend against applying in this next cycle due to recent very-low cGPA term, weak ECs, and mostly mediocre LORs. Try to get near-straight As in an full-time informal postbac for ~30 hours (or an SMP), see if raising your MCAT is feasible, beef up your ECs, and strategize to build faculty relationships so all your LORs will shine.

Your shadowing is fine as it is. The nonmedical community service hours look good. Consistently adding hours with a single organization would be a good idea, as would eventually taking on a leadership role.

Flodhi1 has some very good ideas for you, but I don't think you should take the risk of another rushed MCAT, and I don't think you are likely to get an acceptance if you reapply without the substantial improvements that we've outlined.

Thank you for your advice, everyone. :) I really appreciate it. I am going to sit down and look into all of these things.