3.5 gpa 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mec20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have around a 3.5 gpa and recently got my MCAT scores back. First time I took it I made a 24 (6VR 8PS 10BS) and then studied for a month and took it again and made a 27 (8VR 8PS 11BS) (bad move I know but I was under pressure from family and other deadlines)

I know my gpa is on the low end and that was mainly due to the death of several family members in the war raging in Syria so it took a toll and it was hard to just focus on school at times. However my grades show a strong upward trend despite taking 20-21 credit hours of science classes each semester of my senior year.

For ECs I have:
>200 hrs of clinical shadowing under an ER physician
>150 hrs of volunteer work at a homeless and refugee shelter
some volunteer work in a hospital ER (not sure how many hours they add up to at the moment)
>2 years of research with 3 publications in high impact journals with a 4th paper in progress (third, second, and first author) as well as several acknowledgements
I have tutored high-school and middle-school students in math and biology
I helped open a school and taught English for several months in Syria right before the war.

I want to know where I stand with MD schools

Edit: if my chances are very slim what should be my next steps to improve my application?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

This person isn't related to you, are they?

Edit: if my chances are very slim what should be my next steps to improve my application?

Even with your publications, a 27 is rather low. Re-take or consider DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just making sure. It's unusual to shadow a single physician for that long, and shadowing your own parents/relatives is somewhat frowned upon.

You may have a shot at newer MD schools, but that's about it in my opinion. A 27 is a tad low unfortunately for MD. Some state schools can be the exception though (university of Utah).

A VR 6 will get you screened out of MD schools. Two MCAT attempts tell me that you're close to your ceiling, especially since it appears you're an ESL.

For your retake, which I strongly suggest, do it only when ready. And grow a spine and tell your family you'll do things on YOUR timetable, not theirs. Poor choice making is looked down upon in applicants.

I have around a 3.5 gpa and recently got my MCAT scores back. First time I took it I made a 24 (6VR 8PS 10BS) and then studied for a month and took it again and made a 27 (8VR 8PS 11BS) (bad move I know but I was under pressure from family and other deadlines)

I know my gpa is on the low end and that was mainly due to the death of several family members in the war raging in Syria so it took a toll and it was hard to just focus on school at times. However my grades show a strong upward trend despite taking 20-21 credit hours of science classes each semester of my senior year.

For ECs I have:
>150 hrs of volunteer work at a homeless and refugee shelter
some volunteer work in a hospital ER (not sure how many hours they add up to at the moment)
>2 years of research with 3 publications in high impact journals with a 4th paper in progress (third, second, and first author) as well as several acknowledgements
I have tutored high-school and middle-school students in math and biology
I helped open a school and taught English for several months in Syria right before the war.

I want to know where I stand with MD schools

Thanks!

I totally know that feel when it comes to the PS section of the MCAT.

Unless you live in a state with a really forgiving MD school (e.g. New Mexico, Kansas, Kentucky, etc.), that route is not going to pan out. Even with a retake it could be hard to make it in because many schools average scores. As of now, you're sitting at the DO average. It would be in your best interest to apply soon if that route interests you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Anymore would be greatly appreciated

I am a Georgia resident. Would I have a chance at Morehouse, Mercer, or MCG?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Anymore would be greatly appreciated

I am a Georgia resident. Would I have a chance at Morehouse, Mercer, or MCG?

Are you URM? Even if you aren't Morehouse might give you an interview if you have demonstrated an commitment to serving the underserved. There are a lot of Asian students at Morehouse.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702643966448783/

I am not completely sure I would be considered URM. My family is from the Middle East but sometimes we are included with white...

I am not completely sure I would be considered URM. My family is from the Middle East but sometimes we are included with white...

Pretty sure Middle Easterners are considered ORMs, and definitely not URMs...