MD & DO 3.5 gpa, 30 mcat - help with school list, should I add more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K1NG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.5 (cumulative and BCMP) - upward trend
MCAT: 28 (9PS, 8VR, 11BS)
Retake: 30 (11/10/9)
Second time applicant
FL resident

Applied this cycle with rejections (only applied to 2 schools in December LOL). Want to make sure I have everything lined up this time so I can get all my apps in early. Only applied to a couple schools first time around, so planning to apply broadly and early!

Since I'll be having another year "off" since graduation, is there anything I should be looking into in particular? So far for the first year I've been volunteering and working. I'm going to start contacting some doctors for shadowing opportunities. Also going to start studying for the MCAT again next month in an attempt to improve my score by at least 3 points.

ECs (updated):
- 2 years A&P TA
- Leadership role in a club (weekly meetings)
- ~800 hours ER scribe
- ~60 hours Hospice volunteer (currently still active)
- ~30 hours volunteer tutoring at foster home
- ~1 year research experience (2 different projects with 2 poster presentations)
- ~20 hours Habitat for Humanity (currently still active)
- ~30 hours shadowing (family practice + specialties)

School list so far:

MD Applied:
-Drexel
-EVMS
-FAU
-FIU
-FSU
-NYMC
-Quinnipiac
-RFU
-TCMC
-Temple
-UCF
-USF
-UVM
-VCU

DO:
PCOM
DMU
KCUMB
ATSU/KCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.5 - upward trend
MCAT: 28 (9PS, 8VR, 11BS)
Second time applicant
FL resident

Applied this cycle with rejections, going to give it another shot this summer. Want to make sure I have everything lined up this time so I can get all my apps in early. Only applied to a couple schools first time around, so planning to apply broadly and early!

Since I'll be having another year "off" since graduation, is there anything I should be looking into in particular? So far for the first year I've been volunteering and working. I'm going to start contacting some doctors for shadowing opportunities. Also going to start studying for the MCAT again next month in an attempt to improve my score by at least 3 points.

ECs:
2 years A&P TA
Leadership role in a club
~800 hours ER scribe
~50 hours Hospice volunteer (continuing activity)
~30 hours tutoring
~1 year research experience (2 different projects with 2 poster presentations)

School list so far, just off the top of my head:

MD:
Albany
Arizona - Tuscon & Phoenix
Drexel
East Virginia
FAU
FIU
NYU
Ohio State
Oregon H&S
SUNY
Temple
Tulane
UPenn
USF
Virginia Commonwealth

DO:
AZCOM
CCOM
NSUCOM
OU-HCOM
PCOM
West Virginia

Take off OHSU (you need a minimum 32 MCAT to be considered as an OOS student unless they changed things this year).

UPenn and NYU are both huge long shots.

I'd look into adding places like Vermont, Toledo, GW, Creighton, Loyola, RFU, NYMC, etc...

Don't forget about UF and UCF as well.

You should be fine with DO. I wouldn't even waste your money on WV.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback guys, will adjust my list accordingly.

How are my ECs looking btw? I know by numbers are very average so I want to make up for it as much as I can. Anything I should add this upcoming year? Should I have applied to some SMPs?

I really don't want to wait an other year.. trying to make my app as perfect as I can to get in this upcoming cycle.

With an MCAT near the floor of acceptable, too many MD reach schools. You're fine for any DO program.

goro suggests:

Albany
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
TCMC
Loma Linda (maybe)
Rush
MSW
Creighton
Drexel
East Virginia
GW
FAU
FIU
Loyola
NYMC
RFU
Temple
Tulane
UCF
UF
USF
Virginia Commonwealth

Forgot to mention both my cGPA and sGPA are 3.50 (with 3.85 for the last 5 semesters). I'm definitely planning to go all in for the MCAT this time around.

Besides the tutoring, I don't have any other nonmedical community service. I'm hoping to find another tutoring opportunity or volunteer at Habitat for Humanity or a similar organization.

Thanks for the list Goro!

Besides the tutoring, I don't have any other nonmedical community service. I'm hoping to find another tutoring opportunity or volunteer at Habitat for Humanity or a similar organization.
Without a good duration of dedicated service to those in need, I don't think that Loyola, Creighton, and Loma Linda will find your application appealing.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah unfortunately I didn't look for other opportunities once the tutoring program was finished. I'll do what I can now. Thanks for the advice!

So I have an opportunity to do a 1 year master's pre-professional program at an in-state university. Would it be worth my while or should I spend my time volunteering and pursuing other activities? I'm not sure how some med schools will look at my 2 year "gap." Only intended for one but applied late and to only a few schools which wasn't very smart.

So I have an opportunity to do a 1 year master's pre-professional program at an in-state university. Would it be worth my while or should I spend my time volunteering and pursuing other activities?

If you'd be happy with DO or MD, it's not worth your while. If you want the best possible chance at MD, won't go deep into debt to pay for it, and feel a higher MCAT score is doable, then it would be worth your while. You can get in some volunteering at the same time, hopefully. Keep in mind that you'd get the best bang for your buck if you wait to apply until you complete the 1-year program.

Yeah I'll be happy with either, however my top choices (FSU and FIU) are both MD. You do bring up a good point about applying after I complete the program. I'm not sure waiting another year would be worth it though. If you think I have a good chance with my school list this cycle then I'll pass on the program.

Are there any other ways to improve my app? Right now my activities include volunteering at a Hospice, getting my books ready for another go at the MCAT, and looking for nonmedical community service opportunities.

Yeah I'll be happy with either, however my top choices (FSU and FIU) are both MD. You do bring up a good point about applying after I complete the program. I'm not sure waiting another year would be worth it though.
1) If you think I have a good chance with my school list this cycle then I'll pass on the program.

2) Are there any other ways to improve my app? Right now my activities include volunteering at a Hospice, getting my books ready for another go at the MCAT, and looking for nonmedical community service opportunities.
1) Chances at the top 3/4 of your list depend on the new MCAT score, of course.

2) You've covered my main concerns. Your first post also mentioned some shadowing plans, which I'd aim mainly at office-based primary care, since all your scribing is in the ER.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, forgot to mention the shadowing plans. I'm going to look up some offices to call. Thanks again for the help!

I'm planning on taking the MCAT on 8/15. That will give me a solid 3 months + a couple days just in case. I wanted check if that would be a suitable date before I pay and register for it. I'm hoping it wouldn't be too late to update schools on my new score.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT on 8/15. That will give me a solid 3 months + a couple days just in case. I wanted check if that would be a suitable date before I pay and register for it. I'm hoping it wouldn't be too late to update schools on my new score.
You won't get the score back until mid-September. If you mark the future MCAT date on your application, schools will hold off considering your file until it's available. For AMCAS schools, that would put you in the "Late" category. If you don't mark the future date, you run the risk of being prematurely rejected. Can you move the MCAT date up one month? That would get around the problem. Two months of studying with some volunteering and shadowing is doable. If you also have a job or put in heavy hours elsewhere (video games, etc), 2 months probably won't work out.

Ah, I was afraid of that. Maybe I can get some love from my state schools? Would moving it up 2 weeks to 8/1 help at all? The biggest thing is that I will be fasting for a month, from late June to late July, so I want to account for that in my schedule. I also want to give myself enough time to improve my score by at least 3 points.

1) Maybe I can get some love from my state schools?
2) Would moving it up 2 weeks to 8/1 help at all?
3) The biggest thing is that I will be fasting for a month, from late June to late July, so I want to account for that in my schedule. I also want to give myself enough time to improve my score by at least 3 points.
1) If your state schools have a smaller pool or applicants due to less/no OOSer consideration, you might not be as disadvantaged. That generalization isn't 100% true.
2) Yes.
3) Please don't be one of those folks who's unwilling to consider rising 20 minutes before sunrise so they have no glucose all day to help their brain work.

1) If your state schools have a smaller pool or applicants due to less/no OOSer consideration, you might not be as disadvantaged. That generalization isn't 100% true.
2) Yes.
3) Please don't be one of those folks who's unwilling to consider rising 20 minutes before sunrise so they have no glucose all day to help their brain work.

+1. You better listen to this.

Looked at July dates in my state and they're all taken, except for the 24th but the only location is 5 hours from me and it's a 1pm exam. It's doable, but would it be worth the hassle for the extra week? If not then August 1st it is!

Studying while fasting isn't an issue, I did it last year. I just would prefer to sit for the exam afterwards.

Sounds good I'll try a little searching. Appreciate the help!

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone following. Got a 30 on my retake, and currently completing secondaries (on the schools with a "-" in the first post). Should be done this week! Already complete at my top choice though :)

Also considering adding a few more.. out of the list I think I'll wrap it up with VCU and Quinnipac since I'm running low on funds. Still waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified.

Any shot at Tulane with my retake?

Last edited:
Finishing my USF secondary (moster of a secondary!) and should be it. Would it be worth it to add any more schools at this point? Updated first post. Appreciate any input!

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone following. Got a 30 on my retake, and currently completing secondaries (on the schools with a "-" in the first post). Should be done this week! Already complete at my top choice though :)

Also considering adding a few more.. out of the list I think I'll wrap it up with VCU and Quinnipac since I'm running low on funds. Still waiting for my AACOMAS to be verified.

Any shot at Tulane with my retake?

Yeah why not. If you like the Tulane's program i'd give it a shot.

Yeah why not. If you like the Tulane's program i'd give it a shot.

Yeah I was just about to make payment, when I decided to read through the Tulane thread just in case. I saw a lot of rejections for <30 MCAT so I think it'll be best to save the money elsewhere. Heard great things about their program though. If it was earlier in the cycle I would have definitely gave it a shot.

But I did just add Rush and Penn State! I have also been thinking about Albany and Loyola as the next two but they have long secondaries and not sure if I will be able to finish in a reasonable time.. since I'm already so late.

Hoping for some advice! So far I've had 2 rejections and 1 hold. Haven't heard anything from the remaining 11 schools! Is there something missing from my app? Was really hoping for some in-state love at the very least. I'm thinking to start applying to SMP or post-baccs but I've had a lot of people advise against it. Any suggestions?

Hoping for some advice! So far I've had 2 rejections and 1 hold. Haven't heard anything from the remaining 11 schools! Is there something missing from my app? Was really hoping for some in-state love at the very least. I'm thinking to start applying to SMP or post-baccs but I've had a lot of people advise against it. Any suggestions?
No DO interviews?

No DO interviews?

Rejected by KCUMB (because they apparently stopped reviewing apps mid-december), hold at DMU, and still waiting to hear back from PCOM and ATSUKCOM. I did add NSUCOM, ATSUSOMA, and ACOM last week and waiting for AACOMAS to release my primary. Should have added more earlier but I was out of funds from applying to the MD schools.

I also updated all schools that accept update letters, but silly me did it over the holidays. I did call all of them this week and have confirmed that it has been added to my file.

Rejected by KCUMB (because they apparently stopped reviewing apps mid-december), hold at DMU, and still waiting to hear back from PCOM and ATSUKCOM. I did add NSUCOM, ATSUSOMA, and ACOM last week and waiting for AACOMAS to release my primary. Should have added more earlier but I was out of funds from applying to the MD schools.

I also updated all schools that accept update letters, but silly me did it over the holidays. I did call all of them this week and have confirmed that it has been added to my file.
Bummer.
You need an early DO application and you will be golden.

Bummer.

Yeah wish I submitted my primary earlier, my mistake. I know a much better option would be to apply earlier to DO next cycle instead of applying to SMPs/post-baccs but not excited to spend another gap year out of school.

Bummer.

By the way, if I do apply again for next cycle, what should I change/add in my app? Or just continue volunteering/shadowing? A lot of schools ask about how I've improved since last time and want to know what I've added to make myself a stronger applicant. I want to get a head start on that and make sure I take care of any holes in my app just in case

By the way, if I do apply again for next cycle, what should I change/add in my app? Or just continue volunteering/shadowing? A lot of schools ask about how I've improved since last time and want to know what I've added to make myself a stronger applicant. I want to get a head start on that and make sure I take care of any holes in my app just in case
You are already good for lots of DO schools where you will be a first time applicant.
The MD schools will get to ponder your new MCAT with a lot more interest if you apply at the start of the cycle.
Continue doing what interests and enriches you.
Your application is not that weak. Your strategy (and timing) was.

Reactions: 1 users
You are already good for lots of DO schools where you will be a first time applicant.
The MD schools will get to ponder your new MCAT with a lot more interest if you apply at the start of the cycle.
Continue doing what interests and enriches you.
Your application is not that weak. Your strategy (and timing) was.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yeah I def messed up there, and getting my new MCAT score in September didn't help either. My current plan is to continue volunteering/shadowing and I am also going to begin searching for a research opportunity close by.

Without a good duration of dedicated service to those in need, I don't think that Loyola, Creighton, and Loma Linda will find your application appealing.
Are these schools looking for something particular?

Are these schools looking for something particular?
Creighton, Loyola and SLU are looking for those with a validated commitment to a lifetime of service to those in greatest need (they are Jesuits).
Add a commitment to serve Christ through medicine for LLU.

Reactions: 1 users
Creighton, Loyola and SLU are looking for those with a validated commitment to a lifetime of service to those in greatest need (they are Jesuits).
Add a commitment to serve Christ through medicine for LLU.
And by "validated commitment" we don't mean 6 months of last minute, high-volume volunteerism.