MD & DO 3.5 gpa 30(8PS, 10VR, 12BS) Non Tradtional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Interested to see what people think of my chances primarily for MD but also for DO. Got my MCAT score back today and was happy with the overall score but disappointed with the in 8 PS. I'm a non-traditional student from PA and already have primary submitted. Some background:
  • 350+ hours shadowing (nice internship at local hospital)
  • 5 years of Division I athletics (XC/Track and Field)
  • Summer of research
  • Resident Assistant
  • Tutoring
  • Limited volunteer experience
  • As in most pre-reqs
  • Currently employed in bioinformatics industry
  • 5 LORs (2 science, 1 sociology, 1 MD, 1 track and field coach)
What does everyone think of my chances with limited volunteer experience and average/below average stats? I was looking to apply primarily in state to both MD and DO schools (all MD except Penn, all DO). Should I apply to more schools out of state? Should I focus primarily on DO and not spend the money on MD?? How does full time employment look if its in a science field? I'm not sure how adcoms will look at me being out of school for over 2 years.

Sorry for the questions but would appreciate any honest feedback! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's easier when we can see your list!
Agreed! I'm going to purchase MSAR to get a better idea but from my research so far I was looking at applying to:
TCMC
Penn State
Pittsburgh (long shot but my dream school)
Drexel
Jefferson
West Virginia
Temple
LECOM
PCOM

Have a few other out of state ones but was primarily interested to see what the thoughts were regarding PA schools and surrounding areas. Would love to stay close to home if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed! I'm going to purchase MSAR to get a better idea but from my research so far I was looking at applying to:
TCMC
Penn State
Pittsburgh (long shot but my dream school)
Drexel
Jefferson
West Virginia
Temple
LECOM
PCOM

Have a few other out of state ones but was primarily interested to see what the thoughts were regarding PA schools and surrounding areas. Would love to stay close to home if at all possible.
That's a good start. Delete W VA unless you were raised there. That gives you 5 MD schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. Another half dozen like that and you are good.

Is WVU really that rough for students who don't have ties to the state?

Is WVU really that rough for students who don't have ties to the state?
Yes. They are a state with serious manpower problems and a public mandate to address the needs of the people footing the bill for medical education. They have to believe that you are going to serve the public good.

Yes. They are a state with serious manpower problems and a public mandate to address the needs of the people footing the bill for medical education. They have to believe that you are going to serve the public good.

Yikes I had no idea. I'll probably take this off my list. Shame since its so close to home.

If you want to stay close to home you could add Hofstra, Albany, New York Medical College and Quinnipiac.

Thanks! Will check these out on MSAR.