3.5 GPA in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theBruceWayne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should be obtaining my bachelors soon with a minimum 3.5 GPA (4.0 science). The reason of the 3.5 was due to poor grades I earned back doing dual-credit in 9th thru 10th. I am about to take the MCAT, I have been studying for the past two years, literally burning thru Kaplan guides, so I feel somewhat confident in scoring at least a 36. I have much collegiate extracurricular involvement as well as 200+ shadowing hours done with multiple anesthesiologists, a surgeon, and a psychiatrist. I am also a resident of Texas currently going to UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio.) I've heard that Texas MD schools are much easier to get into if you are a current resident of the state. Compiling all of my above statements, what would you say my chances look like? Appreciate all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Come back to us with an MCAT score. Have you taken the AAMC practice exams? Those are the best predictors of actual score.

That being said, if the rest of your application is solid (good experiences/activities), and you manage a 30+ on the MCAT, you should be able to get into a Texas school. They do heavily favor in-state students.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a nice sGPA that probably comes with an upward trend if you were taking upper-level science courses. It balances out a cGPA that is slightly wrinkled.

You need a decent MCAT score. Since you have a 4.0 but a 3.5 overall, I'm guessing liberal arts isn't your strong suit. The liberal arts sections on the MCAT will be challenging for you, but you can beat them. I'd say you would be very competitive for Texas MD with the 2015 MCAT equivalent of a 30-31.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, so good.

I should be obtaining my bachelors soon with a minimum 3.5 GPA (4.0 science). The reason of the 3.5 was due to poor grades I earned back doing dual-credit in 9th thru 10th. I am about to take the MCAT, I have been studying for the past two years, literally burning thru Kaplan guides, so I feel somewhat confident in scoring at least a 36. I have much collegiate extracurricular involvement as well as 200+ shadowing hours done with multiple anesthesiologists, a surgeon, and a psychiatrist. I am also a resident of Texas currently going to UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio.) I've heard that Texas MD schools are much easier to get into if you are a current resident of the state. Compiling all of my above statements, what would you say my chances look like? Appreciate all responses!