<3.5 gpa with interviews and acceptances this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worms10

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where did you interview and get accepted? If you could add your MCAT score too that would be helpful as well.

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I'll share one: my friend who had a 3.4c and 3.4 sGPA and 35 MCAT got into Wayne State, Oakland, and Tulane.

Reactions: 3 users
3.28 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, 36 MCAT. I only applied to one school this year (USUHS), and was accepted. I should add that I have a major upward trend (1.90 Freshman, 1.79 Sophomore, 3.85 Junior, 3.82 Senior), and I'm a veteran who applied to a medical school specifically for military doctors.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3.28 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, 36 MCAT. I only applied to one school this year (USUHS), and was accepted. I should add that I have a major upward trend (1.90 Freshman, 1.79 Sophomore, 3.85 Junior, 3.82 Senior), and I'm a veteran who applied to a medical school specifically for military doctors.

Thank you for your service.

Reactions: 6 users
3.34 cgpa, 3.27 BCPM, 37 MCAT, ORM. only interviewed and accepted at UIC (IS)

Reactions: 1 user
3.38 cGPA/3.19 sGPA. 35 MCAT.

Literally thought I was screwed at the start of the cycle, don't know what did it for me but super greatful I get to go to school next year!

UMiami (accepted, attending)
Wake Forest (accepted)
Virginia Tech (accepted with 1/3 scholarship)
Tulane (accepted)
Emory (waitlisted, withdrew)
Albany (didn't attend)
FIU (accepted)
FAU (accepted)
USF (withdrew the day after the interview. But they were courteous enough to send me a waitlisted letter anyway lol)
USC Greenville (accepted)

Reactions: 12 users

Literally thought I was screwed at the start of the cycle, don't know what did it for me but super greatful I get to go to school next year!

Wake Forest (accepted)
Tulane (accepted)
Albany (didn't attend)
FIU (accepted)
FAU (accepted)
USF (withdrew the day after the interview. But they were courteous enough to send me a waitlisted letter anyway lol)

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you have to take a gap year?

3.4/3.4 GPA, MCAT 29 and 514. I applied to 6, interviewed at NYMC and Upstate(IS), and I am on waitlists at both. Reapplicant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Where did you interview and get accepted? If you could add your MCAT score too that would be helpful as well.

Thanks everyone
Check the nontrad forum. There are plenty of us. If you're not nontrad, you probably need a pretty interesting story, but it's certainly not unheard of.

There are many many people with sub 3.5 gpas being accepted. Sdn makes it seems like that is not the case, but it is true

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, did you have to take a gap year?

Thanks! Yea I did. I highly recommend gap years to almost everyone. Make some money, live a little bit of "adult" life, and have much fewer distractions while trying to write essays/travel for IIs.

Also gives you more free time, so you can travel and do some of the things you never had time for in undergrad.

I did research for mine and was able to get a solid pub out of it, which is nice too.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.4/3.4 with a 503 MCAT and 7 II's with a DO and MD acceptance. Currently on the waitlist for Ohio State, Wright State, and Thomas Jefferson. Should note I'm a veteran, significant experience in EMS, and a very strong upward trend.

Reactions: 2 users

Wake Forest (accepted)
Tulane (accepted)
Albany (didn't attend)
FIU (accepted)
FAU (accepted)

3.45 cGPA/ 3.28 sGPA

Tulane (Accepted, going as of now)
UMiami (Accepted, withdrew)
USF (Accepted, withdrew)
NYMC (Accepted, withdrew)
Quinnipiac (Accepted, withdrew)
Penn State (Waitlist)
SUNY Downstate (Waitlist)
Virginia Commonwealth (Waitlist)
Wright State (Waitlist)
Albany (Waitlist)
The Commonwealth Medical College (turned down interview)
FIU (Waitlist)

There are many many people with sub 3.5 gpas being accepted. Sdn makes it seems like that is not the case, but it is true

Holy **** Did you guys have impressive extracurricular activities? @The Knife & Gun Club I see you founded a non-profit for example...

Holy **** Did you guys have impressive extracurricular activities? @The Knife & Gun Club I see you founded a non-profit for example...

To be honest my ECs weren't crazy good, I'm not sure what did it for me. Especially the non-profit lol, it sounds way cooler than it was...basically me and some co-workers just organized a few fund raisers a year.

If I had to guess I'd say I wrote a good PS/secondaries that focused on my fit for the schools and happily glossed over the helpless undergrad performance.

@Mansamusa Im surprised our cycles were so similar! Congrats. I'm curious, are you a Florida applicant as well?

To be honest my ECs weren't crazy good, I'm not sure what did it for me. Especially the non-profit lol, it sounds way cooler than it was...basically me and some co-workers just organized a few fund raisers a year.

If I had to guess I'd say I wrote a good PS/secondaries that focused on my fit for the schools and happily glossed over the helpless undergrad performance.

@Mansamusa Im surprised our cycles were so similar! Congrats. I'm curious, are you a Florida applicant as well?
Nope. I'm from the northeast. I love learning languages though and have a 10yr (since middle school) track record of learning languages/leading language clubs. I think I was at the first or one of the 1st FIU interviews and all the OOS applicants were big into linguistics or moved to the US from South America. Then UMiami, USF, NYMC, Downstate, and Tulane all serve mutlilingual patient pops, which goes back to what you were saying about fit.

@karats I don't think my ECs were great or bad. I only had ~50 clinical volunteer hours and over 50 shadowing hours. I have 1000s of hours of basic science research (but my first couple of papers and abstracts were only finalized last month). 2 yrs of TA experience.

Nope. I'm from the northeast. I love learning languages though and have a 10yr (since middle school) track record of learning languages/leading language clubs. I think I was at the first or one of the 1st FIU interviews and all the OOS applicants were big into linguistics or moved to the US from South America. Then UMiami, USF, NYMC, Downstate, and Tulane all serve mutlilingual patient pops, which goes back to what you were saying about fit.

@karats I don't think my ECs were great or bad. I only had ~50 clinical volunteer hours and over 50 shadowing hours. I have 1000s of hours of basic science research (but my first couple of papers and abstracts were only finalized last month). 2 yrs of TA experience.

I was at the first FIU date too, maybe we met ;)

There was a really awkward kid at that interview who was super into butterfly knives, ring any bells? (Not me, just something that I remember from that day)

I was at the first FIU date too, maybe we met ;)

There was a really awkward kid at that interview who was super into butterfly knives, ring any bells? (Not me, just something that I remember from that day)
Oh weird. Probably.

Fortunately I'm not the butterfly knife guy because I had no idea what that was until I just looked it up, hahaha. I kinda vaguely remember a kid talking about knives in his fun fact though

My gpa is ~3.5 and I got into some top schools like Sinai and Duke. My MCAT really helped though

3.4 c/3.35 s

non-urm, applied to 40, 8 II, attended 5, accepted to 5

tips: think critically about your schools list, apply early, write good secondaries, prepare for interviews (even if they are MMIs)

3.4 c/3.35 s

non-urm, applied to 40, 8 II, attended 5, accepted to 5

tips: think critically about your schools list, apply early, write good secondaries, prepare for interviews (even if they are MMIs)

Hi, what schools did you get II and accepted to? My stats are similar. Thanks!

This is amazing and gives me a lot of hope. I have a question for those who have been accepted. Did you address the low gpa in any way and if you did how did you go about it?