3.5 scGPA and cGPA, 28Q MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KapS86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to reapply this year. I am planning on taking the mcats next week again to improve my score. Currently it is 10PS, 8VR, 10BS, Q.

EC's
2 years ER shadowing
2 summers research, NIH and Hopkins
Currently FT Research assistant at FDA
10 months Volunteer at Rehab Center
Currently volunteering at a Free clinic
2 years TA'ing as an undergrad for Anatomy/Endocrinology/Chemistry

I got waitlisted at GW. Any recommendations for MD schools I should apply to? I am hoping my MCAT score will jump some. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your EC's look very impressive. I'd apply to 5 DO schools and 20 MD schools. Get a MSAR to figure out which schools are in your range.

Yes, your EC are impressive, but obviously your 3.47 GPA is worrisome. Def retake MCAT and score well to show that you can do well academically, despite your GPA. Your list of schools from your profile looks about right. You should have better luck this time with better EC credentials and higher MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Have you called GW recently and asked them if they would give any consideration to your new MCAT scores (given that they'd come out mid to late June)?

It's nice to see you raised your GPAs since last applying. It looks like your clinical experience was on the sparse side. How many more months of clinical experience will be on the application this time with the free clinic gig?

You might consider shadowing an office-based porimary care doc for a greater breadth of shadowing experience.

Being a research asst now helps fix the slightly low months of research experience. The TAing is great for a Teaching activity. Any Leadership? Any nonmedical community service? Those are both holes it would be nice to plug in your EC list.

What do your practice test suggest you'll score on the MCAT retake? If it stays the same or drops, then DO schools are your niche. With a 32+, you'll have a decent shot at allopathic med schools.

If so, then schools to consider are [(%)=OOS matriculants]:

Loma Linda (49%), Loyola (55%), RFU (53%), UKen (30%), Creighton (89%), Albany (62%), SUNY Down (18%) Jefferson (60%), MCW (~65%)
UIllinois (27%), Wayne (17%), Buffalo (29%), Toledo (34%), Drexel (71%), Temple (52%), Vermont (72%), VCU (44%),
GWU (96%), FIU (21%), Louisvll (25%), Tulane (83%), UNevada (24%), NYMC (67%), MUSC (22%), SCarolina (18%), EVMS (39%),
Rush (19%), Michigan State (26%),
65/Commonweath MC (PA) (29%)