3.5 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 27 MCAT. Help choosing schools please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilEngineThatCould

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked under the graphs for my stats, so I know my chances of getting into medical schools aren't all that high. I did improve my MCAT score from a 20 to 27, so I don't know if the schools will take that into account, but it'd be nice if they did (although an improvement to a 30 would've been so much more impressive lol)

EC's - worked as a CNA for 4 years and a shooting range for 1.5 years (2 part time jobs while I was a full-time student), worked as a medical technologist in a clinical lab for 1 year now, was a tutor for 3 months for a child at a school for disadvantaged children, laboratory safety inspector at my university for 2 years, and participated in a beauty pageant my freshman yr of college that I got 5th place for (random I know). I shadowed an oncologist for a couple days in the hospital where I currently work and am planning on doing more shadowing with some other doctors. I know I don't have many EC's but since I had to work (averaging 24-30 hrs/wk) and I was a commuter, it was hard for me to have time to do more and do well in school.

I am a reapplicant because I stupidly applied the first time thinking my 20 MCAT score would improve but it didn't so I ended up not getting in anywhere. I decided to just work on improving my GPA and getting through my senior year without any other worries (medical technology is a very difficult and demanding major.) I had hoped to show more improvement than this, but I'm hoping that there are schools that will at least consider me. I'm sure I'd have a better shot with DO schools but I don't know much about them.

I write too much so I apologize, but I need a lot of help deciding which schools to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure I'd have a better shot with DO schools but I don't know much about them.

I write too much so I apologize, but I need a lot of help deciding which schools to apply to.
It's time to start looking into DO schools.
State of residence?

It's time to start looking into DO schools.
State of residence?
Maryland, we don't have any DO schools and I don't know much about them. I was also told they like you to have shadowed a DO and I'm not sure if I'll have the chance to do so before this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maryland, we don't have any DO schools and I don't know much about them. I was also told they like you to have shadowed a DO and I'm not sure if I'll have the chance to do so before this application cycle.
U of Maryland's 10th% MCAT is 29 and gpa is 3.55. Thus your IS chances are quite low.
There are a very few MD schools where you have a fair chance at an interview.
You need to comb the MSAR for these.

Not all DO schools require a DO letter. Check out the pre-osteo forum.
They will help you out.

U of Maryland's 10th% MCAT is 29 and gpa is 3.55. Thus your IS chances are quite low.
There are a very few MD schools where you have a fair chance at an interview.
You need to comb the MSAR for these.

Not all DO schools require a DO letter. Check out the pre-osteo forum.
They will help you out.
Alright I will do that, thank you.