3.5 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 507 MCAT. Washington Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDSMelatonin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN-ers,

I'm just wondering what my chances are for MD schools, especially the University of Washington (I'm a WA state resident).

As the title says, I have a 3.5 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, and a 507 MCAT. I was wondering if I should actually retake that MCAT. My score was destroyed because of my CARS (124). I will be applying the upcoming summer.

I actually don't have much extracurriculars to be honest, which kind of worries me. I'm not part of any clubs, besides being in a social fraternity. This will obviously hurt me right? It's really tough for me to balance classes with work and my volunteering commitments.

I volunteer as an outpatient hospice companion and at a 24 hour care facility. I have been doing these both for over a year now, and will be for 2 years by the time of applying. I volunteer at each place once a week for 4 hours. I also work 12-15 hours a week at a student office on campus dealing with disability accommodations, where I communicate a lot with students, counselors, and professors. I've been working here for over a year now as well, and will be 2 by the time I apply.

Summary of activities at time of application:
2 years hospice volunteer
2 years in-patient care facility volunteer
2 years student office worker

Would also appreciate a list of any schools I'd have a chance of getting into! I will definitely be applying to Washington States' Med School when the time comes/when they officially open. I think I might have a good chance at that since I'll be part of the first class?

Thanks so much guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a 2nd state school that is planning to open in Spokane for 2017 so definitely apply there. Other schools where you should consider applying include:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
California Northstate
Any new private MD schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)
Also apply to at least 5 DO schools and you are competitive for most DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have solid reason to believe you can do significantly better on an MCAT re-take I'd seriously consider it. 29 with a 7/8 equivalent in verbal/CARs is pushing things with a 3.55 in a state like Washington. Your best shot may very well be at Washington State when it opens up in 2017.

Those actually sound like some great ECs, actually. It's about quality, not quantity. It's clear that you want to be around sick people.

Your numbers are going to make MD a challenge (not impossible, though), but I think DO will be interested in someone with 2 years of hospice experience.

Try to get some DO shadowing in before application season opens.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the input! I will definitely look into shadowing a DO. Speaking of shadowing, I forgot to mention I have a good amount of shadowing hours as well. Roughly 35 hours with an anesthesiologist (will continue soon), ongoing shadowing a neurologist and geriatrician (about another 30 hours here and still shadowing). I will possibly be shadowing a cardiologist as well pretty soon.

I will be re-taking the MCAT before applying and will probably shoot for a 514+ (I'm sure I can get 510+). Will that improve my chances for UW and MD schools?

Thanks again guys! Appreciate all the comments!

A jump to a 514 will definitely improve your chances significantly. How are you planning on getting that 514+? What will you do differently?

I think you have a decent chance at UW, and probably an even better shot at WSU once it opens. Just remember that strong essays, and good reflection when writing about your experiences is pretty important when your numbers are just below average. I interviewed at UW last year, got rejected, and one of the main reasons for my rejection was what I wrote about my some of my experiences, not the experiences themselves.

Hi guys! Just reporting back, I received a 518 on my scored FL, and I think I did somewhere around that ballpark on my recent retake. I am currently working on my super late application... But what else can I add to the list of schools to apply to?

Thanks so much for your input soadhead, Faha, Doug, and Grapes.

As a side note, I have over 200-300 hours of shadowing, JUST from neurology alone... I'm shadowed adult, pediatric, movement, and sleep neurology. I've received a letter of recommendation from the co-director of a movement disorders fellowship, and work under the other co-director in his Parkinson's genetic research lab. I'm extremely interested in neurology, and am almost 100% sure I will be pursuing it. I was wondering how that would look if I wrote about it on my personal statement? I mean I've shadowed other doctors too, including ER docs, anesthesiology, geriatrics, hospice and palliative care, general surgery, and rural medicine to name a few. None have maintained my interest besides Movement disorders neurology. I will be shadowing a geriatric psychiatrist soon, which has always been my secret interest as well!

Oh, and to update my GPA, it increased slightly by about 0.5 each. Idk how much that matters...

As a side note, I have over 200-300 hours of shadowing, JUST from neurology alone... I'm shadowed adult, pediatric, movement, and sleep neurology. I've received a letter of recommendation from the co-director of a movement disorders fellowship, and work under the other co-director in his Parkinson's genetic research lab. I'm extremely interested in neurology, and am almost 100% sure I will be pursuing it. I was wondering how that would look if I wrote about it on my personal statement? I mean I've shadowed other doctors too, including ER docs, anesthesiology, geriatrics, hospice and palliative care, general surgery, and rural medicine to name a few. None have maintained my interest besides Movement disorders neurology. I will be shadowing a geriatric psychiatrist soon, which has always been my secret interest as well!

Oh, and to update my GPA, it increased slightly by about 0.5 each. Idk how much that matters...
Your GPA increased "slightly" by 0.5 each? As in from 3.5 to 4.0? Did you mean 0.05?

It's getting pretty late to be starting primaries for MD this year, especially if you haven't written the MCAT yet. Even if you write the MCAT today, you won't get your score until September, and assuming you have all of your materials in by then, you won't be complete until probably mid-September at the earliest, which is possibly lethal with your GPA. Unless you literally get 522+, then you may get a shot, but otherwise I'd wait a year. Just my opinion.

Oh my mistake, yes they increased 0.05 --- I got a 3.96 last quarter!

I'm planning on submitting this weekend. I took the MCAT on July 22nd, so I'm hoping to be verified before end of August...

Oh my mistake, yes they increased 0.05 --- I got a 3.96 last quarter!

I'm planning on submitting this weekend. I took the MCAT on July 22nd, so I'm hoping to be verified before end of August...
Alright then you can be complete at early September at best. Realistically though, you probably won't be complete until mid-September, because you must apply broadly given your stats and late app, so you are looking at 20+ secondaries, which is probably going to take you at least one month if you can write full-time. It's your choice but I personally wouldn't apply this year. Speaking from personal experience.

I'm actually in a similar boat as you EDS, I'd love to hear about your experience applying to UW!

Status
Not open for further replies.