3.51 cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, taking my MCAT in june & got 21, 25, and 23 on practices!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelergirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to DO schools and MD schools this summer. I am an Illinois resident and have plenty of leadership, extracurricular, research, study abroad, and 2 summers of clinical internship and shadowing experiences. I am hoping to move my mcat score up to at least 27+ by the end of June for my exam.

I would greatly appreciate help narrowing down my current list and opinions on my chances. Please be honest!!

Here are my list of MD Schools: (32 schools currently, planning on applying to ~20)

UIC (IL)
Rush (IL)
Rosalind Franklin (IL)
Loyola (IL)
SIU (IL)

Albany Medical College (NY)
Hofstra (NY)
NY Medical College (NY)

Drexel (PA)
The Commonwealth Medical College (PA)

Eastern Virginia (VA)
Virginia Tech (VA)

Florida International University (FL)
Florida State University (FL)

Tulane (LA)
Louisiana State University (LA)

Brody School of Medicine at Eastern Carolina University (NC)
Wake Forest School of Medicine (NC)

University of Kansas
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine

University of Kentucky
University of Louisville

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (NJ)
Marshall University (WV)
Michigan State University
University of Arkansas
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Toledo
University of New Mexico
University of North Dakota
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin

My List of DO Schools: (10 schools)

CCOM/MWU
AZCOM/MWU
TuoroCOM-NY
DMU-COM
LECOM
LECOM Bradenton
NSU-COM
VCOM-VC
UNECOM
MSUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Have you researched the schools at all? Where in Illinois do you live? It is pretty widely known that SIU has a huge preference for students from more rural areas. I think I have even read that if you live South of I80 you should be okay to apply. North of I80 not so much. It is also hard to give you advice since you don't have a MCAT score. Your sGPA is really low. And your self projected MCAT score of 27+ won't be helpful at Loyola or Rush. IMO you should focus mainly on DO schools and maybe schools like Rosalind Franklin. But then again that school gets lots of applications so...

If you are interested in MD, then you must post-pone the MCAT and apply next year. Getting in the low 20's on practice tests are an indicator that you are not ready to take the real thing. Even if you do score a 27 this will most likely not offset your low GPA. For DO you may be ok if you can manage a 26 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have my MSAR handy, but your sGPA is well below avg, almost non-competitive for most of the schools on your list, even some of the DO schools. MCATs in the low-mid 20s will definitely rule out any MD school. You're definitely not competitive for state schools, even probably your own.

My suggested list for MD schools

UIC (IL)
Rosalind Franklin (IL)
Loyola (IL)
SIU (IL)

NY Medical College (NY)
Quinnipac (CT)
Drexel (PA)
Virginia Tech (VA)

I don't have my MSAR handy, but your sGPA is well below avg, almost non-competitive for most of the schools on your list, even some of the DO schools. MCATs in the low-mid 20s will definitely rule out any MD school. You're definitely not competitive for state schools, even probably your own.

My suggested list for MD schools

UIC (IL)
Rosalind Franklin (IL)
Loyola (IL)
SIU (IL)

NY Medical College (NY)
Quinnipac (CT)
Drexel (PA)
Virginia Tech (VA)
I really appreciate your input and you are definitely correct about the OOS state schools, I will definitely narrow them down. I constructed my list using the msar and only chose schools where I had at least a 10-20% chance based on my cGPA and sGPA. I realize these chances aren't the highest, but you never know!

Would you mind elaboration on which DO schools specifically do you believe my stats are low for? (LECOM?) Do you have any other DO school suggestions to look into based on my grades?

I just looked at your numbers again and while the sGPA is low, it's fine for DO. I think you'll land an interview at any DO program, including mine, if youc an at least score in the mid-20s. If you end up with, say, a 22-23, then focus ont he neest schools, like, say, MarionCOM, LMU, and Alabama.

I really appreciate your input and you are definitely correct about the OOS state schools, I will definitely narrow them down. I constructed my list using the msar and only chose schools where I had at least a 10-20% chance based on my cGPA and sGPA. I realize these chances aren't the highest, but you never know!

Would you mind elaboration on which DO schools specifically do you believe my stats are low for? (LECOM?) Do you have any other DO school suggestions to look into based on my grades?