3.52 cgpa 3.6 sgpa 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an714

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating in June 2013 and applying this summer. I have a cgpa of around 3.52 and a sgpa around 3.6 with an upward trend (~3.2 my freshman/soph year)and 28(11/10/7) on the MCAT. I'm a male/asian applicant and a CA resident. Did really bad on verbal and got a 7.

List of ECs done in undergrad:
2 years of neuroscience research (no pubs)
200+ hours of volunteering at the ER
100+ hours of tutoring students in basic science courses like bio/chem/physics (paid job)
50+ hours of shadowing DO pcp
In a brigade club traveling to countries in Africa to serve the community.

LORs:
1)From DO that I shadowed. I known him since I was younger so we have a good relationship. In fact, he was the one who inspired me to apply to DO schools.
2)From PI in my research. Probably a moderate LOR.
3)Science letter from one of my classes (probably an ok letter).

Would I be ok for most DO schools? How about MD low tier schools? Should I retake my MCATs? Should I do more for my ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Graduating in June 2013 and applying this summer. I have a cgpa of around 3.52 and a sgpa around 3.6 with an upward trend (~3.2 my freshman/soph year)and 28(11/10/7) on the MCAT. I'm a male/asian applicant and a CA resident. Did really bad on verbal and got a 7.

100+ hours of tutoring students in basic science courses like bio/chem/physics (paid job)

LORs:
1)From DO that I shadowed. I known him since I was younger so we have a good relationship. In fact, he was the one who inspired me to apply to DO schools.

Would I be ok for most DO schools? How about MD low tier schools? Should I retake my MCATs? Should I do more for my ECs?

You are a shoo-in for DO...You might get some luck at some low tier MDs. I would apply to 10 DO and 5-7 low tier MDs if I had your stats and your ECs.

Agree with the poster above. DO looks fine. I've seen some MD schools that would give you a look or two with your stats (strong EC's would help here). LOR from the DO seems great...as do your EC's. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna have a good cycle in the DO world. If you have some state MD schools you like, you could give them a try too if you wanted.

Gonna have a good cycle in the DO world. If you have some state MD schools you like, you could give them a try too if you wanted.
OP's MCAT is at or below the 10th% for all of the UC's (except Davis and the combo scores of UCLA/Drew).

You're fine for osteopathic. PS why does touro prefer instate applicants? Are they publicly funded?

OP's MCAT is at or below the 10th% for all of the UC's (except Davis and the combo scores of UCLA/Drew).

Whoops I didn't see Cali. Ignore my state school advice.

As to the above poster: lots of private DO programs still like applicants who are somewhat local. Maybe it's because they are seen to be more likely to attend, maybe because they might have a better understanding of the program, may have shadowed graduates and become familiar, etc. etc. Who knows. For example, VCOM wants to draw heavily from Appalachia because a big part of their mission is to produce physicians for that region.

LORs:

i "did bad in verbal" too, i got a 7....12/10/7. I was able to land a few MD interviews and actually got into an MD school out of state, but i had a bit higher of a GPA. It doesn't seem like you have much time to increase your GPA before graduation, so if you feel like you can get a higher verbal score you might want to retake MCAT if your heart is set on MD, but you look pretty good for DO (stats wise). I think that when deciding MD vs. DO it should not come down to stats or prestige but rather identifying with the respective practice of medicine for each discipline.