3.52 gpa 3.23 s gpa (possibly higher) 499 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedprincess26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.52 gpa with upward trend and 3.23 science gpa that will maybe be higher depending on if some classes might count as science. MCAT 499 : 123 chem/phys 125 cars 123 bio 128 psyc/soc.

I have already sent in MD app (only to one school) and was planning on withdrawing if my score wasn't good. Should I withdraw? I would only be considered a re-applicant to the one school it sent to right? it actually hasn't even been verified yet, so I'm not sure if i even would. My pre med advisor said i wouldn't but just wanted to make sure.

I have MD shadowing no DO shadowing (but i'm working on it) I have a lot of volunteering and ECs and a lot of officer positions as well. Overall, I think my ECs look pretty good. I have research, shadowing, hospital volunteering, non-hospital volunteering, medical internships, and many officer positions. MCAT was not amazing at all and gpa is not the best either. Please let me know if you think I should continue. I was going to turn in my DO app today if i liked my score. It's been ready to go for a week now. It's also kind of late into the cycle alsoo so i am very confused please help me!

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to resubmit this in the DO WAMC section as well. As far as I understand it, you will only be considered a reapplicant at the schools you apply to on the first go round.
That said, I don't know if there is a value in withdrawing, if it's already in, unless you want to retake the exam and try again with that same school without "reapplicant blemish."

Given that you have no DO shadowing, you will not have a LOR from a DO physician, which I believe most DO schools require.

Are you a rising senior or have you already finished undergrad?

I'd say save your money, retake the MCAT and apply next cycle. But I'm no expert.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to resubmit this in the DO WAMC section as well. As far as I understand it, you will only be considered a reapplicant at the schools you apply to on the first go round.
That said, I don't know if there is a value in withdrawing, if it's already in, unless you want to retake the exam and try again with that same school without "reapplicant blemish."

Given that you have no DO shadowing, you will not have a LOR from a DO physician, which I believe most DO schools require.

I just graduated this may. I was in an accelerated MPH program and I'm continuing with that next year. Are you saying there is no point in withdrawing as in apply this cycle of just to that one school?

Also, I did post this in the link that was in the DO page. How do I get to one for just DO?

Oh that was my mistake. I didn't realize the MD and DO ones both led here.

I'm not saying there is no point, but I'm also saying don't get your hopes too high for one school. Even people that are walking in 4.0/520+ can't make any bets on getting into one particular school.
Honestly, @Wolfpack93 said what needs to be said. Retake that MCAT and get 4.0s for your next two semesters. Keep your AMCAS if you want to, but I'm not seeing any compelling reasons to do so.

Oh that was my mistake. I didn't realize the MD and DO ones both led here.

I'm not saying there is no point, but I'm also saying don't get your hopes too high for one school. Even people that are walking in 4.0/520+ can't make any bets on getting into one particular school.
Honestly, @Wolfpack93 said what needs to be said. Retake that MCAT and get 4.0s for your next two semesters. Keep your AMCAS if you want to, but I'm not seeing any compelling reasons to do so.

Oh yeah I don't have my hopes up at all lol. I am honestly ok with going anywhere. I'm just wondering if I should still apply or withdraw my app now.

I can't recommend an application with your MCAT score. I'm just one person and I'm certainly not the most experienced person on here, but I just read another thread in which one of the overlords (Gyngyn) said the same thing about someone with a 498.

Unless you are URM do not apply to MD schools. You have a chance for some DO schools, mainly the newer ones but you need to apply broadly to many schools this month and submit your secondaries by August.
Schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM (new school)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
UIWSOM (new school-Texas)

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend an application with your MCAT score. I'm just one person and I'm certainly not the most experienced person on here, but I just read another thread in which one of the overlords (Gyngyn) said the same thing about someone with a 498.

Sorry, which same thing did they say?

Unless you are URM do not apply to MD schools. You have a chance for some DO schools, mainly the newer ones but you need to apply broadly to many schools this month and submit your secondaries by August.
Schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
ARCOM (new school)
ACOM
BCOM (new school)
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas (new school)
RVU-Utah (new school)
UIWSOM (new school-Texas)

Thank you for this! The thing that is holding me back from DO schools is that I don't have a DO letter. I have been trying for months to shadow a DO and none of them allow shadowing. I have no idea what to do.

Thank you for this! The thing that is holding me back from DO schools is that I don't have a DO letter. I have been trying for months to shadow a DO and none of them allow shadowing. I have no idea what to do.
You would probably be better off to apply next year after you have shadowed DO physicians. Some schools do require a DO letter and and in your situation with your low MCAT you will need to apply to as many DO schools as reasonable with your MCAT score. Applying next year would also allow you to retake the MCAT and hopefully score over 505. Your current low Biology section score will hurt your chances. There will also be several more new DO schools opening for 2018 so you would have more options if you apply next June.

Yes, you should withdraw. Your app is DOA.

I have already sent in MD app (only to one school) and was planning on withdrawing if my score wasn't good. Should I withdraw? I would only be considered a re-applicant to the one school it sent to right? it actually hasn't even been verified yet, so I'm not sure if i even would. My pre med advisor said i wouldn't but just wanted to make sure.

It's not late for the DO cycle, but you'd be auto-reject at my school and at least nine other schools that I can think of, including mine. I strongly suggest that you retake and, if needed, skip this app cycle. Your 123 in Bio says to me that you didn't learn anything in your Bio classes.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, those are fixable and you need to take care of before entering med school.

I have MD shadowing no DO shadowing (but i'm working on it) I have a lot of volunteering and ECs and a lot of officer positions as well. Overall, I think my ECs look pretty good. I have research, shadowing, hospital volunteering, non-hospital volunteering, medical internships, and many officer positions. MCAT was not amazing at all and gpa is not the best either. Please let me know if you think I should continue. I was going to turn in my DO app today if i liked my score. It's been ready to go for a week now. It's also kind of late into the cycle alsoo so i am very confused please help me![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
You would probably be better off to apply next year after you have shadowed DO physicians. Some schools do require a DO letter and and in your situation with your low MCAT you will need to apply to as many DO schools as reasonable with your MCAT score. Applying next year would also allow you to retake the MCAT and hopefully score over 505. Your current low Biology section score will hurt your chances. There will also be several more new DO schools opening for 2018 so you would have more options if you apply next June.

Yes, you should withdraw. Your app is DOA.

It's not late for the DO cycle, but you'd be auto-reject at my school and at least nine other schools that I can think of, including mine. I strongly suggest that you retake and, if needed, skip this app cycle. Your 123 in Bio says to me that you didn't learn anything in your Bio classes.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, those are fixable and you need to take care of before entering med school.

I have MD shadowing no DO shadowing (but i'm working on it) I have a lot of volunteering and ECs and a lot of officer positions as well. Overall, I think my ECs look pretty good. I have research, shadowing, hospital volunteering, non-hospital volunteering, medical internships, and many officer positions. MCAT was not amazing at all and gpa is not the best either. Please let me know if you think I should continue. I was going to turn in my DO app today if i liked my score. It's been ready to go for a week now. It's also kind of late into the cycle alsoo so i am very confused please help me!
[/QUOTE]

Would applying this year and being considered a re-applicant hurt my chances though?

Would applying this year and being considered a re-applicant hurt my chances though?[/QUOTE]
Overall probably not since there will be several more new DO schools opening in 2018 and 2019. It would be a good idea to have a backup contingency plan if you do not receive any acceptances by March. That would be to begin studying hard for the MCAT beginning in early 2017 and take it when your practice scores are at least 505. You mainly need to improve both your science scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Would applying this year and being considered a re-applicant hurt my chances though?
Overall probably not since there will be several more new DO schools opening in 2018 and 2019. It would be a good idea to have a backup contingency plan if you do not receive any acceptances by March. That would be to begin studying hard for the MCAT beginning in early 2017 and take it when your practice scores are at least 505. You mainly need to improve both your science scores.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much!