3.54 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA, 32T MCAT, weak ECs, Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
Canadian. 2013 graduate with B.A. in International Relations with minor in Microbiology & Immunology.

Grades: 3.54 cGPA; 3.52 sGPA

MCAT: 32T (11PS / 9VR / T / 12BS)

ECs:
~70 hours clinical volunteering experience in long-term care
~20 hours over the past 8 months serving on the Board of Directors of a non-profit arts organization
~125 hours over 4 months as Marketing Director for a campus wide talent show
~25 hours over 2 months event coordinator
~16 hours over 2 months intramural dodgeball
2 summers volunteering at youth summer camp
~600 hours over the past 3 years singing in a women's choir
>12 years on piano (including lessons, recitals, work as accompanist, and some tutoring of little kids)
-2 years on Dean's List (with GPAs 3.4 & 3.8)

Work experience:
>1 year as a restaurant server
-1 summer as a marketing assistant for a music festival
-2 years retail experience

I realize that my ECs lack research experience and more healthcare-related experience. I'm in the process of accumulating more of these for the case that I'll be reapplying next year.

But in the meantime, for the current cycle I will be applying to the majority of Canadian schools. I would like to know what US medical schools I should also be applying to (or perhaps should not be applying to!).

My current list for US schools:
-Dartmouth
-Boston University
-Penn State
-SUNY Upstate
-University of Hawaii
-George Washington University
-New York Medical College
-Howard University

Please comment on my list, and any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Howard is strongly mission based. If you do not have a demonstrated committment to their target community, your odds are low without regard to stats or international status.
Ah okay. Then Howard is off the list. Thanks.

From what I've heard, University of Hawaii only accepts students from Hawaii or with STRONG ties to Hawaii.