3.54 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA, 25N, URM, TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hookem29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got my score back yesterday and I'm kind of disappointed. What do you guys think my chances are? I'll do DO if I really have to, but I would prefer MD because the specialties I'd really want to do would be hard to get into coming from a DO school. I'm Hispanic so I would be considered an URM

This is my second time taking it, first time I got a 23M (6V, 8PS, 9B). This time around I got a 25N (5V, 9PS, 11B). I don't know if I want to retake. I studied really hard the second time around, but no matter what I do I just can't conquer the VR section. I did everything possible and I was averaging 7-10s on the AAMC practice exams, but I don't know what happened on the real thing.

According to the AAMC, I have a 53.3% of acceptance with my MCAT/GPA combo which is somewhat reassuring.

My ECs include:
-Lots of hours hospital volunteering
-Lots of hours doing other volunteer stuff with organizations
-About 60 hours doctor shadowing that includes a medical mentorship program that I did this past summer
-I mentor at-risk youth at a local elementary an hour per week
-Involved in extracurricular activities such as intramural sports

I would be applying to all Texas schools and out of state schools that seem to have lower requirements next cycle.

Any feedback is highly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Got my score back yesterday and I'm kind of disappointed. What do you guys think my chances are? I'll do DO if I really have to, but I would prefer MD because the specialties I'd really want to do would be hard to get into coming from a DO school. I'm Hispanic so I would be considered an URM

This is my second time taking it, first time I got a 23M (6V, 8PS, 9B). This time around I got a 25N (5V, 9PS, 11B). I don't know if I want to retake. I studied really hard the second time around, but no matter what I do I just can't conquer the VR section. I did everything possible and I was averaging 7-10s on the AAMC practice exams, but I don't know what happened on the real thing.

According to the AAMC, I have a 53.3% of acceptance with my MCAT/GPA combo which is somewhat reassuring.

My ECs include:
-Lots of hours hospital volunteering
-Lots of hours doing other volunteer stuff with organizations
-About 60 hours doctor shadowing that includes a medical mentorship program that I did this past summer
-I mentor at-risk youth at a local elementary an hour per week
-Involved in extracurricular activities such as intramural sports

I would be applying to all Texas schools and out of state schools that seem to have lower requirements next cycle.

Any feedback is highly appreciated, thanks!
I would say give it a shot, but be prepared for the worst. It does not hurt to apply. Well maybe it will hurt your pockets, but I should caution you that even though that amcas chart says URMs with your stats have a 50% chance, it does not take into account other factors: Strong LOR, ec, etc. Either way good luck.