3.54, s3.47 MCAT: 29, 27 is it worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apolla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My gpa isn't the greatest, my last semester at school I was taking the maximum load with four jobs on top and so I got a bad grade in one class and my gpa suffered for that. I took the mcat last year without much prep and got a 29(08/11/10), so I thought I'd take it again and I did so on May 31th, but I got a 27(08/10/09). I don't know what happened, I definitely prepped more, focused on PS since it was my lowest score, and my practice tests were around 31-33. How will going down affect my chances? With my gpa and MCAT lower tier should I apply this year? Is taking the MCAT a third time too much? I have my personal statement near done, and everything else from LORs and transcripts are submitted so should I just go ahead and use this as a trial run? Another mark on my application is little shadow/ clinic experience. I was supposed to have more but met with an accident that left me immobile for a many months and by the time I healed it's application season and I can only convey any experience I gain after applying at interviews, if I get any...

Honestly, I would be happiest at UIC (I'm IS btw), is that a stretch with my stats as they are now, or do I have a chance? Thanks for helping me out.

Members don't see this ad.

My gpa isn't the greatest, my last semester at school I was taking the maximum load with four jobs on top and so I got a bad grade in one class and my gpa suffered for that. I took the mcat last year without much prep and got a 29(08/11/10), so I thought I'd take it again and I did so on May 31th, but I got a 27(08/10/09). I don't know what happened, I definitely prepped more, focused on PS since it was my lowest score, and my practice tests were around 31-33. How will going down affect my chances? With my gpa and MCAT lower tier should I apply this year? Is taking the MCAT a third time too much? I have my personal statement near done, and everything else from LORs and transcripts are submitted so should I just go ahead and use this as a trial run? Another mark on my application is little shadow/ clinic experience. I was supposed to have more but met with an accident that left me immobile for a many months and by the time I healed it's application season and I can only convey any experience I gain after applying at interviews, if I get any...

Honestly, I would be happiest at UIC (I'm IS btw), is that a stretch with my stats as they are now, or do I have a chance? Thanks for helping me out.

I believe a score decrease is a pretty serious blow against you. I would recommend taking a year off to retake (and really study. maybe a prep course or something) the MCAT and get more experience. No reason to be late in an application season (you would be late if you submit now, as it can take weeks to verify your application) with a weak app. Buff up your stats and activities and I'm sure you'll have better luck.

Reactions: 1 user
With your GPA and MCAT your chances of an acceptance at a MD school is probably 25%. If you are going to apply this year, you should submit your application this week and have your secondaries in by early September. In addition to your state schools, consider applying to Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Jefferson, Temple and Drexel. Even if you were to increase your MCAT to the low 30's your chances for MD school would still be less than 50%. If you are willing to consider a DO school, and apply to 10 or more this month, you would be competitive for many DO schools. If you are not interested in applying to DO schools this year then I believe you should seriously consider that option next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your GPA and MCAT your chances of an acceptance at a MD school is probably 25%. If you are going to apply this year, you should submit your application this week and have your secondaries in by early September. In addition to your state schools, consider applying to Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Jefferson, Temple and Drexel. Even if you were to increase your MCAT to the low 30's your chances for MD school would still be less than 50%. If you are willing to consider a DO school, and apply to 10 or more this month, you would be competitive for many DO schools. If you are not interested in applying to DO schools this year then I believe you should seriously consider that option next year.

Don't know much about the others but Hofstra has a median MCAT of 33 if I remember correctly. Applying there is not wise with a 27.

Most schools will assume the 27-29 range is your maximum and so that puts you in dangerous territory for most MD schools. Coupled with your lack of clinical experience (I'm sorry about your accident, that's a real bummer) I would say you should not even bother with applying MD this cycle. DO isn't really my area but my understanding is that they will generally frown upon little-no clinical experience as well. My suggestion is to take a year, beef up your EC's, study for the MCAT again (if you feel like it, if not just focus on DO) and then apply in 2015. Best of luck to you

The downward trend in GPA and MCAT are troublesome and will likely sink your MD application. You can probably get into CCOM because you're in-state. Other Osteopathic programs should be fine but expect to answer as to why you went downward.

Retake and get over a 29+ for MD, for DO you're good.