3.55/499 HYP Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabossofmississippi

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So I've been ghosting the forums for a while now, but I thought it was time to create an account to gauge my chances. I know my stats are below average, but I figure my school's reputation and my first author publication should carry me to a pretty decent school. If I could here from @gyngyn @WedgeDawg @ZedsDed @efle that would be great. Thanks!

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA:3.4
MCAT: 499...

ECs:
100 hours volunteering in local hospital
50 hours shadowing
400 hours research with three publications, one of them first author.

Here is my list so far:
UF
Miami
FSU
USF
Duke
UNC
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UChicago
USC
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
Colorado
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Baylor
OHSU
NYU
Columbia
Yale
UVa

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The other guys can help you a lot more than I can. But FWIW I don't think you are competitive for MD schools, unfortunately. You have a below average GPA, a very weak MCAT score, and weak ECs. I'm sorry but I don't think either prestige or the first author publication will save you here. You might have some luck with DO schools but that MCAT is really going to hurt you.

Last edited:
The other guys can help you a lot more than I can. But FWIW I don't think you are competitive for MD schools, unfortunately. You have a below average GPA, a very weak MCAT score, and weak ECs. I'm sorry but I don't think prestige will save you here. You might have some luck with DO schools but that MCAT is really going to hurt you.
Thanks for your input but I'd rather not be the first HYP grad in the country to attend a DO school. I know my chances are slim, but what do you think of my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input but I'd rather not be the first HYP grad in the country to attend a DO school. I know my chances are slim, but what do you think of my list?

There is so much wrong here I don't know where to begin

Reactions: 11 users
Insanely top-heavy, and you will need to retake the mcat and spend a year getting some meaningful ECs if you want to have a shot at any MD school.

Insanely top-heavy, and you will need to retake the mcat and spend a year getting some meaningful ECs if you want to have a shot at any MD school.
I know some people who got interviews at top-tier schools with my stats. But yeah, if I don't get in anywhere this coming cycle that is my plan.

There is so much wrong here I don't know where to begin
Sorry, I shouldn't have put it that way. For me personally, it would be humiliating to go to a DO school. I am not trying to tell anyone else what to do.

Retake your mcat and reapply. You are probably going to apply anyway so this thread is pointless. Just let us know if you get any love because I'm genuinely interested if schools will adhere to the AAMCs recommendations regarding the new MCAT.

How the hell do you have that many publications with only 400 hours of research?

Reactions: 1 user
A 499 corresponds roughly to a 24-25 on the old MCAT. With a GPA of a 3.55 (need info on the science GPA), your LizzyM score is roughly in the range of 59.5-60.5. The median stats for an average MD matriculant is a 3.7 and a 31 or a LizzyM of a 68. Both your GPA and MCAT are significantly below the matriculant statistics (accepted statistics, while not easily available, are similar).

DO schools are your best bet, and even then, you have to apply broadly because your MCAT is low (should be around a 503+). You are in no way obligated to apply to DO, since people do have reasons for applying MD-only even with suboptimal stats. Your plan is to retake the MCAT and score >510+ to be competitive for any MD. For top tiers, your goal should be >518+.

Additionally, you should focus on expanding your ECs more, particularly in the case of community/non-clinical volunteering experiences to show your altruism. Rest of your app is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
How the hell do you have that many publications with only 400 hours of research?
My school has a lot of opportunities. To be honest with you, the publications were largely a courtesy.

A 499 corresponds roughly to a 24-25 on the old MCAT. With a GPA of a 3.55 (need info on the science GPA), your LizzyM score is roughly in the range of 59.5-60.5. The median stats for an average MD matriculant is a 3.7 and a 31 or a LizzyM of a 68. Both your GPA and MCAT are significantly below the matriculant statistics (accepted statistics, while not easily available, are similar).

DO schools are your best bet, and even then, you have to apply broadly because your MCAT is low (should be around a 503+). You are in no way obligated to apply to DO, since people do have reasons for applying MD-only even with suboptimal stats. Your plan is to retake the MCAT and score >510+ to be competitive for any MD. For top tiers, your goal should be >518+.

Additionally, you should focus on expanding your ECs more, particularly in the case of community/non-clinical volunteering experiences to show your altruism. Rest of your app is fine.
Thank you! I averaged my GPAs. I changed it to cGPA and sGPA in the OP.

your list definitely shows your optimism......

yeah, retake the mcat

Thank you! I added my science GPA in the OP.

Ok so that changes things slightly. A cGPA of a 3.7 is good, while a 3.4 sGPA is concerning. You may have to take few more science classes to bump your sGPA into a 3.5 range, but your biggest priority is to retake the MCAT and score >510+ (ideally >515+).

If you are in fact applying now, I strongly urge you to throw in some DO schools now (since the DO cycle is longer) just so that you can get in somewhere this cycle without having to reapply. Otherwise, I recommend withdrawing your app and wait it out to strengthen your stats to be competitive for MD.

OP are we talking about Harvard, Yale, or Princeton? I'm genuinely curious, and there is no way anyone could identify you.

Ok so that changes things slightly. A cGPA of a 3.7 is good, while a 3.4 sGPA is concerning. You may have to take few more science classes to bump your sGPA into a 3.5 range, but your biggest priority is to retake the MCAT and score >510+ (ideally >515+).

If you are in fact applying now, I strongly urge you to throw in some DO schools now (since the DO cycle is longer) just so that you can get in somewhere this cycle without having to reapply. Otherwise, I recommend withdrawing your app and wait it out to strengthen your stats to be competitive for MD.
Thanks. I may take a gap year, but I fear my sGPA will probably drop some more with the handful of killer upper division science courses I have left. I am really hesitant to retake the MCAT, as I already have wasted six months of my life preparing, though I may not have a choice.

A lot of people are commenting on my list. Can anyone help me come up with a more realistic list?

I already have wasted six months of my life preparing, though I may not have a choice.
Then you are doing it wrong. Unless you rode daddy's coattails into Harvard, you should have the academic prowess to hit at least 70th %tile.

If you can hit median grades against the crowd at Harvard you are likely capable of much better than a 47th percentile MCAT. I'd say retake that and take it seriously this time. Think of it this way - if you apply now, and if you get in, you'll likely be getting into a tier much lower than you're capable of. Don't waste your potential, treat the test seriously as a chance to strut your stuff so you can shoot high. And that if is a very big if for that school list.

What is your state of residency? URM/ORM?

I am not a urm

I am a resident of Mississippi, though I hesitate to add umiss because of its reputation.

I spent six months studying for the mcat, with professional courses and everything. Although the exam is very difficult for me, I fear the problem is that I didn't learn the material well enough the first time.

Gotta retake the MCAT or go DO. Those are your two options.

Harvard means nothing paired with a subpar GPA and <500 MCAT.

Best of luck.

I suppose I was getting my hopes up. I guess I need to figure out how to crack the MCAT. Thanks everyone for your input.

That strikes me as odd - people that can get SAT/ACT scores for HYP are standardized test-savvy and making a 3.7/3.4 would not indicate below-average performance or difficulty with the material. However if you feel doing much better than the 499 is unlikely, all you can do is apply.

If so, your list will need major revamping. Add DO schools. U of Mississippi absolutely MUST go on your list, it is far and away your most likely MD acceptance thanks to the 100% instate policy and MCAT range spanning down to 24. For a few other MD schools look through the MSAR and build a list as if you had a 25, which means special attention to the places with the lowest extending MCAT ranges like:

West Virginia University School of Medicine
East Tennesse State Uni James Quillen College of Med
Sanford School of Medicine at Uni of South Dakota
University of Arkansas for Med Sci College of Med
Florida State University College of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Med Greenville
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Mercer University School of Med
University of North Dakota School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Marshall University Joan C Edwards School of Medicine
University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine

Many of these interview only a few percent of OOS applicants, but they're the only reasonable options with a below average MCAT. Applying to a list like yours where most schools have a 10th percentile line some 30 percentile above you is begging for a failed cycle.

But as Wedgie said, first thing is trying again at the MCAT. You may need to totally revamp your study method, but its worth a go.

Your MCAT score is lethal for all MD schools, and even for some DO schools (like mine). As the latter aren't an option, a retake is required.

We can help you with a list when you have a better score.

And @efle, as a MS resident, OP would have a poor chance with all of those state schools that are heavily IS-biased. They are, alas, not reasonable options, especially with a 499 score.

A lot of people are commenting on my list. Can anyone help me come up with a more realistic list?

Reactions: 1 users
That strikes me as odd - people that can get SAT/ACT scores for HYP are standardized test-savvy and making a 3.7/3.4 would not indicate below-average performance or difficulty with the material. However if you feel doing much better than the 499 is unlikely, all you can do is apply.

If so, your list will need major revamping. Add DO schools. U of Mississippi absolutely MUST go on your list, it is far and away your most likely MD acceptance thanks to the 100% instate policy and MCAT range spanning down to 24. For a few other MD schools look through the MSAR and build a list as if you had a 25, which means special attention to the places with the lowest extending MCAT ranges like:

Many of these interview only a few percent of OOS applicants, but they're the only reasonable options with a below average MCAT. Applying to a list like yours where most schools have a 10th percentile line some 30 percentile above you is begging for a failed cycle.

But as Wedgie said, first thing is trying again at the MCAT. You may need to totally revamp your study method, but its worth a go.
Thank you!

To be fair, though I did well on the SAT/ACT, it was significantly below the school's average. According to the admissions committee, I had other qualities that appealed to them. Though I agree, one would think I should be able to excel. I will consider my options, thanks again.

Your MCAT score is lethal for all MD schools, and even for some DO schools (like mine). As the latter aren't an option, a retake is required.

We can help you with a list when you have a better score.

And @efle, as a MS resident, OP would have a poor chance with all of those state schools that are heavily IS-biased. They are, alas, not reasonable options, especially with a 499 score.
Thank you Goro!

Sorry just one more question.

If I some how do well on the MCAT retake, and if I apply to all Ca schools, is there a chance I can get into a Ca school? I have a particular fondness for the golden state.

If I some how do well on the MCAT retake, and if I apply to all Ca schools, is there a chance I can get into a Ca school? I have a particular fondness for the golden state.
All but one UC (iirc) have no official instate preference, so yes. However they are quite competitive, you'd need to be looking at a 515+ retake to call it more than a long shot

All but one UC (iirc) have no official instate preference, so yes. However they are quite competitive, you'd need to be looking at a 515+ retake to call it more than a long shot
Yeah I know, I was hoping the Harvard name might (marginally) help.

Check out the link in efle's signature. AdCom members from Ca tend to be less-impressed by prestige than their private school counterparts. @gyngyn will tell you all about how hard it is, even for excellent candidates, to get into Ca schools.

Loma Linda?

Your sGPA is 0.3 points < the national average for all acceptees, and since everyone want to go to CA, I don't recommend it.

I figure my school's reputation and my first author publication should carry me to a pretty decent school. If I could here from @gyngyn @WedgeDawg @ZedsDed @efle that would be great.

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA:3.4
MCAT: 499...

Here is my list so far:
UF - LOL
Miami -LOL
FSU - LOL
USF - LOL
Duke -LOL
UNC - LOL
Vanderbilt - LOL
Northwestern - LOL
UChicago - LOL
USC- LOL
Stanford - LOL
UCLA - LOL
UCSD- LOL
Colorado - LOL
Johns Hopkins -LOL
Harvard - LOL
Baylor - LOL
OHSU - LOL
NYU -LOL
Columbia - LOL
Yale - LOL
UVa - LOL
FTFY.

Thanks for your input but I'd rather not be the first HYP grad in the country to attend a DO school.
LOL.

I know some people who got interviews at top-tier schools with my stats.
Yeah, a LGBTQ SES-disadvantaged URM ex-Marine Medal of Honor winning first generation college student maybe.

For me personally, it would be humiliating to go to a DO school.
LOL.

LOL.

I am not a urm
I am a resident of Mississippi, though I hesitate to add umiss because of its reputation.
LOL.

8/10 good effort. Nice handle too.

Reactions: 11 users
FTFY.

LOL.

Yeah, a LGBTQ SES-disadvantaged URM ex-Marine Medal of Honor winning first generation college student maybe.

LOL.

LOL.

8/10 good effort. Nice handle too.
OP understands that they were being unrealistic...

I have seen this phenomenon a couple times on WAMC posts though. The greatness only, zero tolerance for mediocrity mindset seems to be quite strong at the most elite colleges. I mean even here I have buddies with 3.6/30/mediocre ECs interested in primary care that refused to apply DO and wasted a few hundred bucks on sending apps to Top 10s. "First HYP grad to go DO" reads like satire but probably really reflects the common mindset.

I'd expect an HYP grad to do much better on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

These schools almost all have ultra-in state bias. Florida State and Mercer literally accept only people from in state

I don't know how people are still taking this thread seriously. Almost every other post has indicated this is a troll, especially the fact that certain things are beneath him. If in fact this is legit (which I highly doubt) then OP buck up, shut up and get your head out of your ass because right now you don't have any reason to think you are above ANYTHING. In fact, the numbers point to the exact opposite. Take some time off, improve your entire application, look through previous threads and stop trolling.

Your only shot at an MD school will come at the University of Mississippi. And even that is kind of a long shot.

IF you won't take no for an answer and want to apply this cycle, maybe consider throwing WVU, TCMC and Oakland an application(all of these are basically hail mary's I'll add). Any other application to an MD school is probably just a pure donation.

3.55 at HYP is impressive, probably moreso than the SDN standard-issue 3.7 from State U. 499 on a standardized test like the MCAT isn't. If anything, 499 from HYP looks kinda worse than 499 from State U where the only MCAT assistance the school provides is a 5% off coupon for a Kaplan class that set up a table out in the hallway across from the pre-med advising office. (Note: the class is still overpriced and a bad idea.)

The pubs are good, but you need to retake the MCAT. We have a good MCAT forum here on SDN that helped me quite a bit.

3.55 at HYP is impressive, probably moreso than the SDN standard-issue 3.7 from State U. 499 on a standardized test like the MCAT isn't. If anything, 499 from HYP looks kinda worse than 499 from State U where the only MCAT assistance the school provides is a 5% off coupon for a Kaplan class that set up a table out in the hallway across from the pre-med advising office. (Note: the class is still overpriced and a bad idea.)

The pubs are good, but you need to retake the MCAT. We have a good MCAT forum here on SDN that helped me quite a bit.

3.55 is not impressive for Harvard or Yale. It's probably around average, maybe. It's better at Princeton, but still not stellar (I would consider 3.75+ at Princeton to be stellar).

Reactions: 2 users
3.55 is not impressive for Harvard or Yale. It's probably around average, maybe. It's better at Princeton, but still not stellar (I would consider 3.75+ at Princeton to be stellar).

Question for me is, would he really be the first HYP grad to go DO? Surely not.