3.55 cGPA and 3.48 sGPA 38 MCAT where should I apply??i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. MCAT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a California resident and would like to stay in Cali. I'm thinking of applying to most of the California schools except for Stanford and UCSF. What do you think my chances are for a cali school? Where else should I apply out of state? I want to go to a relatively decent school in a nice location, preferably near mountains. Preferably MD, too, but will take DO.

Here are some more stats:
100 hours PACU volunteer
1500 hours clinical experience for ED scribing
100 hours volunteer at Santa Cruz county medical society
300 hours of KZSC radio disc jockey volunteer
100 hours as kzsc mentor/TA volunteer
NO RESEARCH EXPERIENCE :(

80 hours shadowing experience with paramedics
A ton of work experience (I pretty much worked during all of college) including:
Pet store employee
UCSC orientation leader
AVID tutor
Taco hell
Central Valley After school Foundation
And I'm probably about to get a job with Kaplan as an MCAT teacher soon

I know the biggest things holding me back are lack of research and GPA. Should I attempt to get some research hours? Even though its way too late? That way I can always apply next year if I don't get in. I definitely want to go to medical school this year, though. I know all the Cali schools are research based which is the main reason I'm concerned I won't be able to get in.

What should I do/where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Also I will not have any difficulty getting good LORs. I work with 19 doctors and they are pretty much all willing to write me one.

Is your scribing actually clinical? Were you in the presence of patients all that time?

Any MD or DO shadowing? Any other clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep I'm in the ER as we speak. Right next to two doctors and surrounded by 24 patients. I write all the charts for the docs.

Also I forgot to add I speak Spanish pretty proficiently. Not fluent by any means.

I guess you could say I'm shadowing at my job since I follow the doctors all day long. I look at the xrays and CT scans with them, watch procedures, looks up labs, etc. Other clinical would be the shadowing experience with the paramedics s and volunteering in the PACU.