MD & DO 3.55 ug gpa 3.37 science 518 MCAT non trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
31. M . overrepresented minority.
3.55 ug gpa
3.37 science gpa
518 MCat
3.4 Graduate school GPA
4 Years of work/leadership experience in healthcare working with teams to improve patient safety decrease unnecessary patient harm

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any clinical experience at all. Your lack of EC's are keeping you from being considered at any MD school at the moment. You can try at your state schools and any DO program but it's going to be hard for you to get anywhere without any clinical experience.

Do you have any clinical experience at all. Your lack of EC's are keeping you from being considered at any MD school at the moment. You can try at your state schools and any DO program but it's going to be hard for you to get anywhere without any clinical experience.
My current position although not clinical has entailed me shadowing for hundreds of hours MDs from different specialties. I have spent over 100 hours observing surgeries and improving time out procedures. I have generated case summaries for peer review and I lead a weekly meeting with the CMO CNO in attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
My current position although not clinical has entailed me shadowing for hundreds of hours MDs from different specialties. I have spent over 100 hours observing surgeries and improving time out procedures. I have generated case summaries for peer review and I lead a weekly meeting with the CMO CNO in attendance.

Eventhough it grants you hundreds of hours of shadowing (Which is a pretty great thing), it is still not counted as clinical. Have you ever had contact with patients directly not counting an observation experience. I highly recommend that you take some time and volunteer at a local hospice to get those clinical hours.

Eventhough it grants you hundreds of hours of shadowing (Which is a pretty great thing), it is still not counted as clinical. Have you ever had contact with patients directly not counting an observation experience. I highly recommend that you take some time and volunteer at a local hospice to get those clinical hours.
Thanks for the advice. I am unsure if that is too late for this cycle. I have had direct contact with patients, however usually under circumstances where I am part of a team disclosing and adverse event. I will look into spending some time with local hospice service.

~60% of applicants with your stats get accepted.

Your application looks OK, but you really ought to get some more clinical exposure other than the shadowing. Have you submitted your application already?

~60% of applicants with your stats get accepted.

Your application looks OK, but you really ought to get some more clinical exposure other than the shadowing. Have you submitted your application already?
no unfortunately, I was going to this weekend.

An applicant with borderline GPA such as yours should have applied much earlier to have a better shot at MD. Very strong MCAT obviously but I don't know that you can rely on it to make up for a ~somewhat late app.

If you are willing to wait, I think you would benefit (a lot) by taking this year to get more clinical exposure and make sure to apply early next year.

Your MCAT is saving you right now for MD. Your stats are very competitive for DO. How are your other ECs/activities?

Btw it is getting on the late side to submit the primary now. If you MUST apply this year, you can still likely get interviews at low/mid-tier MDs, but I can't say anything for sure.

Your application can likely be improved with an extra year, so it's something to think about.

Your MCAT is saving you right now for MD. Your stats are very competitive for DO. How are your other ECs/activities?

Btw it is getting on the late side to submit the primary now. If you MUST apply this year, you can still likely get interviews at low/mid-tier MDs, but I can't say anything for sure.

Your application can likely be improved with an extra year, so it's something to think about.
Graduate degree in public health
patient safety fellowship
Patient Safety and Quality improvement Job
Volunteer work with Stroke study designed to improve outcomes for l0wer SES inner city populations
Tutoring inner city children in science and Math
Lab Research

Graduate degree in public health
patient safety fellowship
Patient Safety and Quality improvement Job
Volunteer work with Stroke study designed to improve outcomes for l0wer SES inner city populations
Tutoring inner city children in science and Math
Lab Research

This all seems good, and the fact that you had a lot of shadowing with your other job is also good. Did you by any chance have patient contact in the stroke study? Or in your job?

I think if you must apply this year, submit ASAP to your state schools, and low/mid-tier MD schools, and some DO schools as well.

The 2 things in your app that are of concern are: 1.) 3.4 GPA in grad school 2.) Lack of enough patient contact.

This all seems good, and the fact that you had a lot of shadowing with your other job is also good. Did you by any chance have patient contact in the stroke study? Or in your job?

I think if you must apply this year, submit ASAP to your state schools, and low/mid-tier MD schools, and some DO schools as well.

The 2 things in your app that are of concern are: 1.) 3.4 GPA in grad school 2.) Lack of enough patient contact.
To be honest i dont know how amcas will treat my Grad GPA . It was a pass fail high pass grading system. There is no guidance that I can find. Perhaps they will treat it like the HP P system.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did audits for my job that involved patient contact. and disclosed when mistakes were made.

To be honest i dont know how amcas will treat my Grad GPA . It was a pass fail high pass grading system. There is no guidance that I can find. Perhaps they will treat it like the HP P system.

Yeah I don't know either, it doesn't seem to be in this guide: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Either way you can't do much about that now haha.

I did audits for my job that involved patient contact. and disclosed when mistakes were made.

Play up any patient contact you have had, and describe it in you're activities/essays. This is important.

Apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not. I will be applying broadly and submitting them tomorrow.
I hope you include these schools in your application:
All your state public schools
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
You could receive an interview at any of these schools with your stats.
Also apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive a DO acceptance.

I hope you include these schools in your application:
All your state public schools
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
You could receive an interview at any of these schools with your stats.
Also apply broadly to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive a DO acceptance.
Thank you. A question about hardship. I immigrated when I was 17 and worked two jobs to help support my family throughout college. Should I claim disadvantaged status?

The 3.4 graduate school GPA is going to cause problems.

Faha gave you a decent list. If you are boning for the MD it might honestly be in your best interest to sit out a cycle and wait till next year.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, you should really be waiting until next cycle at this point.

And if your graduate GPA is more recent than your undergrad GPA I would strongly consider taking some classes in the next year until you apply because a sub 3.4 science GPA applicant with a downward trend is going to have problems.

And if your graduate GPA is more recent than your undergrad GPA I would strongly consider taking some classes in the next year until you apply because a sub 3.4 science GPA applicant with a downward trend is going to have problems.
Unfortunately I have a full time job, doing a post bac at this point is not feasible. As I mentioned in the post above the Graduate school did not have an official GPA. Just HP /P/LP grading system. I was hoping my decent MCAT score which is the most recent would be more telling of academic potential compared to my GPA that was 5 years ago.

Unfortunately I have a full time job, doing a post bac at this point is not feasible. As I mentioned in the post above the Graduate school did not have an official GPA. Just HP /P/LP grading system. I was hoping my decent MCAT score which is the most recent would be more telling of academic potential compared to my GPA that was 5 years ago.

Let an ADCOM comment on how a graduate GPA would be viewed with only HP/P/LP grades. I'm guessing as long as it's a 3.4 it's still not going to work in your favor(but I'm open to the idea I could be wrong).

Your undergrad GPA from 5 years ago isn't going to be what keeps you out of medical school with that MCAT. It'll be a) applying so late b) if that graduate GPA is perceived in a rather negative way. You can correct one of those things by waiting a year to apply till next cycle(and I say this knowing it is very difficult for a 31 year old to have to wait another year to become a physician but unless you are perfectly content on the DO route that will probably be your best course of action).

Let an ADCOM comment on how a graduate GPA would be viewed with only HP/P/LP grades. I'm guessing as long as it's a 3.4 it's still not going to work in your favor(but I'm open to the idea I could be wrong).

Your undergrad GPA from 5 years ago isn't going to be what keeps you out of medical school with that MCAT. It'll be a) applying so late b) if that graduate GPA is perceived in a rather negative way. You can correct one of those things by waiting a year to apply till next cycle(and I say this knowing it is very difficult for a 31 year old to have to wait another year to become a physician but unless you are perfectly content on the DO route that will probably be your best course of action).
Is there any harm in applying this cycle and reapplying early next year? Thanks for your input

Is there any harm in applying this cycle and reapplying early next year? Thanks for your input

Being considered a re-applicant is not something you want to be at schools if you can avoid it.