3.56/3.48 GPA, 31 MCAT + recent retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nirvanium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thought I would get some insight from SDN about my chances. I graduated recently with a 3.56 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA from a top 20 university, BS Biology with a Chinese minor. Upwardish trend - 3.5/3.3/3.7/3.7 in my four years. Took heavy courseloads every semester with at least 2 sciences. I would say I averaged three science courses per semester and one semester I took four upper level science courses on top of another class for a total of 20 cr. I took the MCAT after my sophomore year and got a 31, which I obviously wasn't happy with (honestly I wasn't too motivated a student at that time and didn't study as hard as i should/could have). Recently took the MCAT again and am awaiting score - I would guess that I got in the 33-36 range.
Extra curriculars - Executive board of a fraternity for two years, executive board of the tennis club at my school for 3 years which included a lot of travelling, planning trips, etcetera. Four summers of scientific research including 2 publications with first authorship credit. Assorted short-term jobs including the research mentioned above. Shadowed a GI doc for 50 hours. Parents are both MDs and my father is a professor at my state medical school which I hope to attend (Average accepted stats 3.6/31).
Recs: Average - professors that I had classes with and attended office hours/got to know on a personal basis. Nothing too great.
Next year I will be doing a 1 year masters at Columbia in human nutrition - doing so because after shadowing I realized how important nutrition based on all the nutritionist consults I saw take place for a lot of post-transplant patients.

What schools should I be looking at? I have a list of about 28 that I plan to apply to - gonna go for the shotgun approach since I don't know my second MCAT score yet and I have the funds to do so, as well as the time to prepare the secondaries. What are my chances at schools like USC, Indiana University, Loyola Chicago, Loma Linda, Penn State, NYMC, Boston University?

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly suggest that you invest in MSAR so you can have best info on schools to apply to that match your stats, and maximize your odds. Your current MCAT and GPAs are below avg for USC, for example. And have you read Loma Linda's abstinence policy?

What schools should I be looking at? I have a list of about 28 that I plan to apply to - gonna go for the shotgun approach since I don't know my second MCAT score yet and I have the funds to do so, as well as the time to prepare the secondaries. What are my chances at schools like USC, Indiana University, Loyola Chicago, Loma Linda, Penn State, NYMC, Boston University?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thought I would get some insight from SDN about my chances. I graduated recently with a 3.56 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA from a top 20 university, BS Biology with a Chinese minor. Upwardish trend - 3.5/3.3/3.7/3.7 in my four years. Took heavy courseloads every semester with at least 2 sciences. I would say I averaged three science courses per semester and one semester I took four upper level science courses on top of another class for a total of 20 cr. I took the MCAT after my sophomore year and got a 31, which I obviously wasn't happy with (honestly I wasn't too motivated a student at that time and didn't study as hard as i should/could have). Recently took the MCAT again and am awaiting score - I would guess that I got in the 33-36 range.
Extra curriculars - Executive board of a fraternity for two years, executive board of the tennis club at my school for 3 years which included a lot of travelling, planning trips, etcetera. Four summers of scientific research including 2 publications with first authorship credit. Assorted short-term jobs including the research mentioned above. Shadowed a GI doc for 50 hours. Parents are both MDs and my father is a professor at my state medical school which I hope to attend (Average accepted stats 3.6/31).
Recs: Average - professors that I had classes with and attended office hours/got to know on a personal basis. Nothing too great.
Next year I will be doing a 1 year masters at Columbia in human nutrition - doing so because after shadowing I realized how important nutrition based on all the nutritionist consults I saw take place for a lot of post-transplant patients.

What schools should I be looking at? I have a list of about 28 that I plan to apply to - gonna go for the shotgun approach since I don't know my second MCAT score yet and I have the funds to do so, as well as the time to prepare the secondaries. What are my chances at schools like USC, Indiana University, Loyola Chicago, Loma Linda, Penn State, NYMC, Boston University?

Uh... :confused: lots of people would be very happy with a 31. List the ~28 schools that you are thinking of applying to, with what state you are from.

Hey, I know a 31 is decent but even in high school I killed the SATs to somewhat make up for an underachiever GPA so I expect very highly of myself in standardized tests. I'm an Indiana resident and I've picked out a lot of mid to lower tier schools - my rationale is that I'll apply to all the schools I can stand a shot at with a 31 mcat, and then add more schools once my new mcat score comes out on july 23.