3.56 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 35 MCAT School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wayEyeseeit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a fairly large school list and am looking for advice on which schools I have absolutely no chance so I can slim my list down. I am a PA resident.

My ECs are as follows:
Research

-3.0 years research as an undergrad - no publications
-helped create and lead a semester long training study my junior year
-accepted to undergraduate summers scholars program to complete a research project
-poster presentations at midwest and national conferences
-summer research project in a pediatric surgery lab that I am currently working part time in - still nothing published

Shadowing:
-about 30 hours (will have more) shadowing a few different physicians (2x ped surgeon, neonat, dermatologist, plastic surgeon, and internist)

Volunteering:
-over 200 hours volunteering in the research lab I'm now currently working part time
-2 week medical humanitarian trip to Belize
-currently volunteering once a week for 4 hours on a hematology/oncology floor where I play with the sick children and hang out with the families.

Schools:
Wake Forest
The Commonwealth Medical College
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loyola
Temple
George Washington University
Rush
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth
Marshall University
West Virginia University
University of Cincinnati
Boston University
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Creighton University
Ohio State
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

TCOM - University of North Texas Health Science Center
Michigan State University College of Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Des Moines University
LECOM
KCOM

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll let the pros take the bulk of this,

but I'd suggest taking off TCOM.

Texas Schools require that 90% of matriculated students are in-state. Thus unless you have some sort of relation to the state, or can demonstrate a strong desire to practice there--it's very difficult to get in.

Not to mention the fact that TCOM uses TMDSAS, which is seperate from AMCAS and AACOM--thus you'll be having to do fill out another whole application with a $135 application fee + TCOMs secondary fee.

Again, this is just my opinion. The pros of this subforum can give the best advice.

Best of Luck and congrats for getting this far.
-LaughingMan

I can't give too much school-specific advice since I know the most about Texas schools, but with a 3.25 sGPA, I feel like you're applying to a few too many reach schools. I'd consider removing some upper-tier schools (not all, but a few of the top schools you least see yourself attending) and adding a few more low-mid tiers.

Members don't see this ad :)
More DO's and apply to NY, IL, MN, TN, and maybe some FL schools. Do your homework with MSAR on who even OFFERs OOS interviews and who accept OOS students.

Okay, so I have a fairly large school list and am looking for advice on which schools I have absolutely no chance so I can slim my list down. I am a PA resident.

My ECs are as follows:
Research

-3.0 years research as an undergrad - no publications
-helped create and lead a semester long training study my junior year
-accepted to undergraduate summers scholars program to complete a research project
-poster presentations at midwest and national conferences
-summer research project in a pediatric surgery lab that I am currently working part time in - still nothing published

Shadowing:
-about 30 hours (will have more) shadowing a few different physicians (2x ped surgeon, neonat, dermatologist, plastic surgeon, and internist)

Volunteering:
-over 200 hours volunteering in the research lab I'm now currently working part time
-2 week medical humanitarian trip to Belize
-currently volunteering once a week for 4 hours on a hematology/oncology floor where I play with the sick children and hang out with the families.

Schools:
Wake Forest
The Commonwealth Medical College
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Jefferson
University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loyola
Temple
George Washington University
Rush
Tulane
New York Medical College
Drexel
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth
Marshall University
West Virginia University
University of Cincinnati
Boston University
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore - LIJ School of Medicine
Creighton University
Ohio State
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

TCOM - University of North Texas Health Science Center
Michigan State University College of Medicine
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Des Moines University
LECOM
KCOM

Thanks!
Why is your BCPM GPA on the low side? Do you have an upward grade trend after a bad freshman year, one bad semester for good reasons, or were your grades pretty much the same all along?

Loyola, Creighton, and Georgetown seem to prefer applicants having more consistent involvement with underserved populations than what you've mentioned.

My grades were basically consistent throughout all of college. I was an Exercise Science Major so most of my classes did't count towards my BCPM GPA. My father randomly passed away towards the end of my freshman year (2 weeks before finals), and I ended up bombing a chem exam and did poorly on my calc 2 and chem final. This resulted in me earning a C in both of those classes which really hurt my sGPA.

I graduated in 2011. I am currently working part-time in a pediatric research lab and volunteering on the oncology/hematology floor of the children's hospital near me once a week. 4 A's and 5 B's for my sophomore year. Junior year I didn't take any BCPM classes. I finished the required core classes for medical school by the end of my sophomore year. I got 10 A's and 1 B my junior year though.

I should also let you know that I didn't realize I wanted to become a doctor until after I graduated from college. I juggled with the idea towards the end of my senior year, but after I graduated is when I was really exposed to the medical field through working in a hospital, shadowing, and going on a medical humanitarian trip. Lets just say throughout most of college life I was unsure with what I wanted to do in life and in a continual state of depression without really realizing it.

I graduated in 2011.

4 A's and 5 B's for my sophomore year. Junior year I didn't take any BCPM classes. I finished the required core classes for medical school by the end of my sophomore year. I got 10 A's and 1 B my junior year though.
It would be reassuring if yuor upward grade trend continued into senior year. What that the case?

Many med schools have requirements/recommendations beyond the typical prerequisites, like Biochem, 1-2 upper-level bio classes, and even behavioral sciences and Stats (summarized nicely in the MSAR). Have you checked each of those schools on your list to see if you have what they're looking for?

Lets just say throughout most of college life I was unsure with what I wanted to do in life and in a continual state of depression without really realizing it.
Would you say that's totally under control now?

Yes I ended college with a 4.0, however it took me one extra semester to graduate. I'm assuming this will hurt my application. I took Stats over the summer and biochem my second semester my senior year. I earned an A in stats and a B in biochem. Oh and I took general psych, developmental psych, a class called psychological perspective on health, and anthropology.

About the depression, I would say that it is definitely under control now. I was never clinically diagnosed, and I never went to a health professional to address the problem because I didn't realize I was even depressed. Since I have been home and away from an environment it was easy to conceal emotions, I've been able to really reflect on where I am at in life and what I want from it.

I have not looked at each of the schools requirements, but I am currently doing that for these schools (minus a few since I took them off the list) and about 10 DO schools. Do you think I have any chance at matriculating in an MD program?

Last edited:
1) Yes I ended college with a 4.0, however it took me one extra semester to graduate. I'm assuming this will hurt my application.

I took Stats over the summer and biochem my second semester my senior year. I earned an A in stats and a B in biochem. Oh and I took general psych, developmental psych, a class called psychological perspective on health, and anthropology.

I have not looked at each of the schools requirements, but I am currently doing that for these schools (minus a few since I took them off the list) and about 10 DO schools.

2) Do you think I have any chance at matriculating in an MD program?
1) Not at all. It's pretty common for it to take 5 years to graduate from college these days.

2) Yes. But I think adcomms would be more confident of your academic prowess with the sciences if you had a few recent As in upper-level Bio. Some consistent off-campus, nonmedical community service would also be helpful. So would about 20 more shadowing hours.

Last edited:
Wait I am an idiot. I took biology my second semester senior year and my extra (last) semester. This was when I started considering medicine and realized I needed to take biology. Got a B in the second semester of my senior year and an A my last semester. I do agree that more A's would help. Do you think my 35 on the MCAT will help that though? 12 bs, 13 ps, and 10 verbal.

Wait I am an idiot. I took biology my second semester senior year and my extra (last) semester. This was when I started considering medicine and realized I needed to take biology. Got a B in the second semester of my senior year and an A my last semester. I do agree that more A's would help. Do you think my 35 on the MCAT will help that though? 12 bs, 13 ps, and 10 verbal.
Yes, the BS of 12 shows that something stuck. :)

Hey there, '

I was in a very similar boat as you when I applied last year. I will say that the gpa is kind of a liability, but the mcat is solid.

Your school list is fine, although I will say that I had a little more ECs than you have. I would definitely have your profs who write your LORs defend your college academic experience, and maybe even taking some upper div bio classes wouldn't be bad.

TBH, when I was on SDN, many people told me to apply DO: if DO medicine philosophically aligned with you, then I say keep them on. Otherwise, I think you may still have a decent shot without them. Just make sure you apply VERY broadly. Broadly meaning to a lot of schools, not just only top tier ones. The way how I see it: Applying to top tier schools shouldn't even count towards your school list (numberwise) because for most people, it's seriously a crapshoot just to get an interview, and getting accepted is that much more difficult. Therefore, I'd suggest applying to at least 30+ schools that you have a decent shot at getting an interview, and if you want to sprinkle more higher tier schools, go for it, but it will be at your expense (time and money).

All in all, you got a decent chance. If you apply this cycle, I'd prolly keep the DOs. If you want to hold it off, take more upper div bio classes (for the most part, I've heard these are easy for most schools), and/or get more clinical exposure/ECs, then i think when you DO decide to apply, you probably won't need the DO schools.

Hey there, '

I was in a very similar boat as you when I applied last year. I will say that the gpa is kind of a liability, but the mcat is solid.

Your school list is fine, although I will say that I had a little more ECs than you have. I would definitely have your profs who write your LORs defend your college academic experience, and maybe even taking some upper div bio classes wouldn't be bad.

TBH, when I was on SDN, many people told me to apply DO: if DO medicine philosophically aligned with you, then I say keep them on. Otherwise, I think you may still have a decent shot without them. Just make sure you apply VERY broadly. Broadly meaning to a lot of schools, not just only top tier ones. The way how I see it: Applying to top tier schools shouldn't even count towards your school list (numberwise) because for most people, it's seriously a crapshoot just to get an interview, and getting accepted is that much more difficult. Therefore, I'd suggest applying to at least 30+ schools that you have a decent shot at getting an interview, and if you want to sprinkle more higher tier schools, go for it, but it will be at your expense (time and money).

All in all, you got a decent chance. If you apply this cycle, I'd prolly keep the DOs. If you want to hold it off, take more upper div bio classes (for the most part, I've heard these are easy for most schools), and/or get more clinical exposure/ECs, then i think when you DO decide to apply, you probably won't need the DO schools.

congrats on your acceptance!

are you saying that you got into pit (top 15) with stats similar to 3.55 cGPA/3.25 sGPA and 35 MCAT?

it is fairly reassuring to know that a low sGPA (3.2 ish) is far from a death sentence when other elements (especially MCAT) is strong. I also have a friend who got into a very good school with a 3.6/3.3 and 34-36 MCAT. he did have pretty stellar ECs though.

and to the OP, best of luck!

I do plan on applying this cycle, so I will likely apply to some DO schools. Thanks for the advice though. You're response makes me feel a little bit better about where I currently stand. If I do decide to delay my application another year, I will take some extra upper level bio classes, and of course, I will keep working on strengthening my ECs.

the best part about strengthening ECs, is that it allows you to be DIFFERENT.

GPAs, MCATs are all the same, and the only way to differentiate that is just sheer numerical value. However, how do you differentiate a person who worked in healthcare administration versus a person who did some clinical work on a mission trip?

Answer is: you really can't. So, what's left? What YOU CAN REFLECT from your experience. I wrote extensively about my volunteering experiences and surprisingly it was a huge asset during my interviews. A lot of people volunteer to clock in, clock out. Sure, you get hours, but it MEANs nothing.

Answer is: you really can't. So, what's left? What YOU CAN REFLECT from your experience. I wrote extensively about my volunteering experiences and surprisingly it was a huge asset during my interviews. A lot of people volunteer to clock in, clock out. Sure, you get hours, but it MEANs nothing.

I totally agree with this. To me, the best part of life is the experiences you have in whatever you do and how they mold you into who you are.