MD & DO 3.56cGPA, 3.50sGPA, ??? 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nippyfan

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, Ive been lurking on these boards for months and Im finally deciding to make a post lol.

I am a 22 year old african american (Trinidadian parents) female, who is a little confused as to which schools I should apply too, and which schools I would be considered competitive for...

As aforementioned, I have a 3.56cGPA, 3.50sGPA, and an unknown MCAT score as I just took it today actually! lol (I thought it was WAYYY harder than the practice exams I practiced though)

Anyway, my story is a little different, because I have been working in the healthcare field since I was 17 years old (graduated high school a year early)...(worked full-time at a neurology group from 2010-2013) and then moved to a pain clinic in the middle of 2013 (Medical Assistant), and recently quit there, to allow me time to get this med school stuff underway, while also finishing my semester of classes. So I have thousands of hours of clinical hours/lots of experience in the healthcare field/several letters of recommendation under my belt...

Given the info above, is it realistic for me to apply this cycle, even if my MCAT scores are not as good as they could be? (Im aiming low on the MCAT scores and hoping to be pleasantly surprised lol)

Please advise :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, Ive been lurking on these boards for months and Im finally deciding to make a post lol.

I am a 22 year old african american (Trinidadian parents) female, who is a little confused as to which schools I should apply too, and which schools I would be considered competitive for...

As aforementioned, I have a 3.56cGPA, 3.50sGPA, and an unknown MCAT score as I just took it today actually! lol (I thought it was WAYYY harder than the practice exams I practiced though)

Anyway, my story is a little different, because I have been working in the healthcare field since I was 17 years old (graduated high school a year early)...(worked full-time at a neurology group from 2010-2013) and then moved to a pain clinic in the middle of 2013 (Medical Assistant), and recently quit there, to allow me time to get this med school stuff underway, while also finishing my semester of classes. So I have thousands of hours of clinical hours/lots of experience in the healthcare field/several letters of recommendation under my belt...

Given the info above, is it realistic for me to apply this cycle, even if my MCAT scores are not as good as they could be? (Im aiming low on the MCAT scores and hoping to be pleasantly surprised lol)

Please advise :)
you have a US bachelor's degree, right?

you probably need around a 508, preferably a 510 to be competitive for MD

I agree that a 500+ score is important. I also believe that WHAT you write about in your essays will make a huge impact on how successful your application process can be. If you write, "I did all of these things," well...no 5h1T sherlock, i can see that from your resume, your cv, or your amcas. But if you take some time to really reflect on your unique experiences and how you've grown as a result of pursuing these activities, you can really make yourself standout.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a US bachelor's degree, right?

you probably need around a 508, preferably a 510 to be competitive for MD

Yea, I was born in the United States...I go to school in Georgia.

ah i was confused by all full-time work description. you worked first, then went back to school?

you still need the MCAT to have a better idea, but you probably don't need a 508, i missed that you were AA. let us know when you have that MCAT score!

ah i was confused by all full-time work description. you worked first, then went back to school?

you still need the MCAT to have a better idea, but you probably don't need a 508, i missed that you were AA. let us know when you have that MCAT score!

Actually, I worked and went to school at the same time! I would work in the day and then go to school at night! Or sign up for weekend classes just to be able to fit everything into my schedule. My parents aren't rich, so I had to work to be able to help them help me. :))

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on taking it! Scores are right around the corner...;););););) :clap:I take mine 5/22/15