3.57/35/non-trad/OH resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplExpress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian male, just got a 35 on the MCAT, which I'm not 100% thrilled with. I worked in banking for 4 years after my History degree (with lots of engineering and science courses mixed in), then started a post-bacc in which I have a 4.0. I'm an ohio resident and have some good ECs from college (Varsity sport, VP of a fraternity), attended a small elitist school for UG, have some research experience during my post-bacc but no paper yet, and have done a lot of volunteering in non-med areas, some in medical areas, and shadowed a few physicians.

I'm looking for a quick read on my chances at these schools, and any comments on possible additions/removals from this list as well:

Case
Ohio State
Cincy
Wright state
NEOMED
Toledo
Tulane
Temple (legacy)
Jefferson (lived in philly for a while)
Drexel (same)
GWU
Georgetown
Keck (USC)
UCLA (I have some family ties to cali, but not a CA resident)
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis

Also, if my chances are piss-poor for cali schools, am I better off not applying there for the sake of my other applications? I feel like if ohio schools see that I'm applying a lot in cali, it makes me seem like I'm desperate to get out of ohio/the midwest, which isn't the case at all...

Members don't see this ad.

Asian male, just got a 35 on the MCAT, which I'm not 100% thrilled with. I worked in banking for 4 years after my History degree (with lots of engineering and science courses mixed in), then started a post-bacc in which I have a 4.0. I'm an ohio resident and have some good ECs from college (Varsity sport, VP of a fraternity), attended a small elitist school for UG, have some research experience during my post-bacc but no paper yet, and have done a lot of volunteering in non-med areas, some in medical areas, and shadowed a few physicians.

I'm looking for a quick read on my chances at these schools, and any comments on possible additions/removals from this list as well:

Case
Ohio State
Cincy
Wright state
NEOMED
Toledo
Tulane
Temple (legacy)
Drexel (same)
GWU
Georgetown
Keck (USC)
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis

Also, if my chances are piss-poor for cali schools, am I better off not applying there for the sake of my other applications? I feel like if ohio schools see that I'm applying a lot in cali, it makes me seem like I'm desperate to get out of ohio/the midwest, which isn't the case at all...

Regarding NEOMED, they have a BS/MD program and take a lot of students through that. Since you have Toledo on your list, I think it would be reasonable to save the money from NEOMED and apply to a different school.

As far as the UCs go, your chances aren't piss-poor, but they're certainly fairly low. Family ties, sadly, typically means almost nothing to schools because it doesn't fulfill their "in state requirement", and, family ties or not, they know most all the applicants want to go there. UCLA and UCSD are harder to get into than Irvine and Davis, but I don't have the numbers in front of me. Loma Linda and Stanford are other Cali options that are privates. Loma Linda would expect some type of religious affiliation (as they're strongly Second Day Adventist), and Stanford typically likes lots of research.

Maybe also consider some midwest privates: Rush, Loyola, MCW, Rosalind Franklin.

Case
Ohio State
Cincy
Wright state
NEOMED
Toledo
Tulane
Temple (legacy)
Drexel (same)
GWU
Georgetown
Keck (USC)
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis

I honestly think with such an interesting App and strong mcat and postbacc you'd have a good shot anywhere including Cali.

Also why do you think the schools will know you are applying to other schools. I have never been on the other side of the operation but to my knowledge I don't think they see this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude add a few reach schools like Columbia, mt Sinai, duke, UCSF, Stanford, etc. U have a decent shot at them.

UC schools are very selective and not very OOS friendly, so I suggest skipping them. You'd actually have better luck at Loma Linda and Stanford. And be happy with that MCAT...it's up in the what, 90-95th+ %ile?

My suggested list below.

Case
Ohio State
Cincy
Wright state
NEOMED
Toledo
Tulane
Temple (legacy)
Drexel (same)
GWU
Georgetown
Some of the Ivies
U Chicago
Northwestern
Loyola
U KY
IN U (possibly)
U Penn
NYU
NYMC
Baylor (maybe)
Emory
Duke
Wake Forest
Wash U (maybe)
Johns Hopkins

Strange logic at work below. Med schools could care less about where you're applying to. They get tons of applications!