3.57 GPA, 28 MCAT (retaking), good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meditation007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian applicant
UPitt
3.57cGPA, 3.45sGPA
28 MCAT (10/8/10) :( --- retaking in August (8/15)
800+ hours of shadowing (emergency room + private clinic)
Rotary Club (100+ hrs)
EMT 400+ hrs
Volunteer at local church facility (500+ hrs)
Volunteering abroad in impoverished areas of Asia (100+ hrs)
Construction worker job for 10 yrs (500+ hrs)
Nursing home research (presentation and poster) (200+ hrs)

Trying to get in to an MD school. Studied for 3 months for MCAT just could not figure verbal out so MCAT is low. Going to hire a tutor and try harder to improve, so retaking in August (8/15) to try to improve to 32+. What are my honest chances of getting in somewhere for MD as a non-URM? What are my chances for DO?

State of Residence: PA
AMCAS submitted: 7/16 (waiting to verify)
Very good LORs: committee letter (two physician MD letters, non-science letter, research letter, science letter) + rotary club member letter, another shadowing MD/DO letter, and another science letter

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

MD will be tough. Your chances for DO should be pretty good though.

You have very solid ECs. I'd recommend trimming down on your ECs a bit to make more study time for the MCAT. If you are a rising senior, it will also free up some time for you to focus more on your classes and raise your GPA.

You submitted your AMCAS rather late, so you really need to work hard on getting your secondaries in early. IMO, you will have to submit all your secondaries within two weeks of verification if you want a serious shot this application cycle. The only way you'll be able to do this is if you start prewriting secondaries *now.* Don't put it off.

Good luck with your application season. I think you will probably get in somewhere this cycle, and if not, study hard for the MCAT and make sure to apply earlier next cycle and you'll be set.

hey, i dont think those stats are bad... honestly, if you shoot for 33+ i think you have a legit shot at getting in...

what are the odds of you bringing that GPA up to a 3.6??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input.

I can't really bring my GPA up because I am done with classes :( , and I am applying this cycle

I am devoting all of my time to MCAT prep to try to bring my score up in August. I would love to get in to an MD school. I am applying to many MD schools. Would a 31+ score give me a decent chance as I am applying broadly?

Does anyone else have any advice/input for me? Thanks in advance.