3.58 cgpa, 3.4 sgpa, 31 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedreamforever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Chemical engineering major at a decent state school. I started out with almost straight A's my freshmen year and it went downhill sophomore year (my first year in my major). Since then, I definitely have an upward trend. I'm planning on taking a gap year and teaching with Americorps, but I was just wondering what my chances are at MD programs and if anyone has suggested schools for me to apply to? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I also included my ECs below.

Research: 2 years (working on thesis in nanotechnology and cancer)
Executive member of sorority (3 semesters)
Education chair for sorority (1 year)
General member for club that raises money for pediatric cancer
President for freshmen leadership organization
4 year volunteer at same hospital +200 hours
Shadowed pediatrician 20 hours
General member for engineering women's club

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an Chemical engineering major at a decent state school. I started out with almost straight A's my freshmen year and it went downhill sophomore year (my first year in my major). Since then, I definitely have an upward trend. I'm planning on taking a gap year and teaching with Americorps, but I was just wondering what my chances are at MD programs and if anyone has suggested schools for me to apply to? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I also included my ECs below.

Research: 2 years (working on thesis in nanotechnology and cancer)
Executive member of sorority (3 semesters)
Education chair for sorority (1 year)
General member for club that raises money for pediatric cancer
President for freshmen leadership organization
4 year volunteer at same hospital +200 hours
Shadowed pediatrician 20 hours
General member for engineering women's club

Numbers are essential for many medical schools. Your below-average GPA will militate against you getting accepted to some MD schools. Your MCAT is pretty good, and you have good ECs. I would suggest working on that upward trend with your GPA. Solidify those grades and you should have a great shot at MD schools. You have a good shot at DO schools as it stands, assuming that's your aspiration.

Members don't see this ad :)
What qualifies as clinical experience? My state of residence is Ohio.
Anything where you are in the proximity of patients receiving care, for example: hospice, nursing homes, SNF's, dialysis centers, government clinics, "free" clinics, Planned Parenthood...
And hospitals, of course.

You seriously need some clinical experience and a favorable state of residence.
My guys love Americorps. It's worth two MCAT points.
They said 200+ hours at a hospital. Is 200+ hours too little? I was planning on perhaps doing 300+ but if that's too little please let me know! Thanks

I was also wondering if I could include hours from high school since I'm been volunteering at that same hospital from high school?