3.58 vs. 3.60

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worth it?

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two 19-credit semesters (4.0) = 3.60 by the time I apply to medical schools.
Two 16-credit semesters (4.0) = 3.58 by the time I apply to medical schools.

I had an abysmal freshman year and have had 3.6+ semesters since then, also took 7credits over the summer and got 4.0.

*I know I won't have as much nerd-mode dedication this year, so I'm just asking whether a 3.6 is worth the stress, sleep deprivation, lost chances for ECs, and significantly higher chance of not getting a 4.0

~This is assuming I figured out how to study and will get 4.0's from now.

=Schedule=
-Biochem (4)
-Philosophy (3) -gen.ed
-Sociology (3) -gen.ed
-Analytical Chem (4 - significantly tougher than general chem, kind of like the leap from gen->ochem)
-Medicinal plant (3) -gen.ed
-Sci-Fi reading (3 - one novel per week (250page novels) with essays, TONS of reading) - grading is easy A)

Was thinking of dropping Sci-Fi as I cannot handle the reading, its an easy A if I look at the syllabus but...idk

Members don't see this ad.

It MIGHT matter if it was the s.GPA only, but it looks like you're talking about cumulative. Either way, I doubt they would really think it was a big deal.

you should also consider the possibility that overworking yourself could risk your grades in your other classes

The difference between a 3.58 and a 3.60 is minimal. Spend that time making sure you can crush the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not worth it. Since all it takes is ONE A- to crush this goal it seems like you're going to be creating completely unnecessary stress as well as diverting time from things are much more worthwhile such as ECs, enjoying yourself during your last year of college, etc.

Not worth it. You will overstress yourself for minimal gain unless you really, really love reading sci-fi novels.

I doubt 0.02 will make a difference.

Won't lie. The .6 looks better than the .58 at the eye.

C'mon kid, a 3.58 is the same as 3.6 from an admissions standpoint.

How's the rest of your packet?

Two 19-credit semesters (4.0) = 3.60 by the time I apply to medical schools.
Two 16-credit semesters (4.0) = 3.58 by the time I apply to medical schools.

I had an abysmal freshman year and have had 3.6+ semesters since then, also took 7credits over the summer and got 4.0.

*I know I won't have as much nerd-mode dedication this year, so I'm just asking whether a 3.6 is worth the stress, sleep deprivation, lost chances for ECs, and significantly higher chance of not getting a 4.0

~This is assuming I figured out how to study and will get 4.0's from now.

=Schedule=
-Biochem (4)
-Philosophy (3) -gen.ed
-Sociology (3) -gen.ed
-Analytical Chem (4 - significantly tougher than general chem, kind of like the leap from gen->ochem)
-Medicinal plant (3) -gen.ed
-Sci-Fi reading (3 - one novel per week (250page novels) with essays, TONS of reading) - grading is easy A)

Was thinking of dropping Sci-Fi as I cannot handle the reading, its an easy A if I look at the syllabus but...idk