3.59, 36Q, top 15 university, diverse/involved extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mediocregatsby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
See subject line.

What schools are in my comfort zone, and what schools should be my reach institutions?

Pretty simple--seems to be the theme of the thread. I hope everyone is enjoying their summers :)

Let's hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Any school below the top ~22 in selctivity are in your comfort zone. Adding a few reaches as well to your list is fine. See the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum.

Thanks for your help! That excel spreadsheet is a nice resource.

Where can I find a table ranking the schools in the order you suggested, to get a feel of the "top ~22"?

Also, update: I calculated my BCPM: 3.5

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They are ranked in order of their selectivity, by their LizzyM score, starting with row #19. Your LizzyM score is ~72. Note this list varies from that in the US News & World Report.

With a BCPM of 3.5, you'll need to check the bottom 10th percentile of BCPM or science GPA to be sure it's not too low for a given school (column AQ) when you pick out your reach schools.

How about this list:

Reach:
Northwestern University
University of Michigan
Columbia
University of Pittsburgh
Brown
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt

Decent chance:
Dartmouth
Case Western
Boston University
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Wisconsin (resident)

"Safeties?"
Medical College of Wisconsin (resident)
Loyola

Am I a little too top heavy here? Should I consider any other institutions, or add/subtract schools to/from any of these three categories? Thanks for your advice!

Yes, it's top heavy. I'd take out UPenn, Vanderbilt, and Dartmouth for the reason given above. Add more target and safety schools.

How many years of research experience do you have?

I wouldn't take those out. A friend of mine just got into UPenn with those exact stats (I think a 34 MCAT though) and she wasn't a URM. If you have the money I'd apply...your MCAT is a full point above most top school averages (around 35). Really, there's no fault in trying.

Stratego: I am currently in my first summer of research, but will be submitting 2 articles for publication within the next week or so.

In other news:

I recently spoke with one of my professors who accidentally submitted one of my grades incorrectly, changing my cumulative gpa from a 3.59 to a 3.6. However, the grade change submission will not go through until mid july at the earliest. So, here is my question:

Do I submit my AMCAS this week, with the 3.59 transcript GPA, and then notify schools of the change when I submit secondaries?

Or, should I wait until the grade change goes through (mid-late july) and submit AMCAS then?

Basically, will my 3.59 --> 3.6 make a difference in how many secondary applications i get back? I'm leaning towards no. Any/all advice is appreciated.

If you have the cash, I would add some more safeties rather than remove schools that you are interested in. As for Dartmouth, you should probably consider that a reach. They only have 75 spots, so its pretty fierce competition to get in.

Stratego: I am currently in my first summer of research, but will be submitting 2 articles for publication within the next week or so.

Basically, will my 3.59 --> 3.6 make a difference in how many secondary applications i get back? I'm leaning towards no. Any/all advice is appreciated.
The publications will be nice to report on in update letters, but with the application you're sending in, I don't think that research-oriented schools will be very impressed with a summer of research just begun. If you truly aspire to a name brand school, consider waiting a year to apply when your credentials in that area will be more appealing and substantive.

I would not wait to submit based on the cGPA change you've mentioned. Hopefully, you are aware that Secondaries are a big money maker for schools, and that few of them screen your application before sending them out? I encourage you to submit as soon as possible so the transcript verification process can begin. You need only include one school for now, and can add the others after you do more research on where your best chances will be. I am giving advice from a frugal person's point of view. If money is no object, then apply wherever you like, but be sure there are a decent number of schools you have a real chance at on your list.