3.59 c/sgpa, 33M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingutothetop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mcat score was 11/11/11 so its pretty balanced.
I go to SUNY Binghamton, neuroscience major.
Shadowed M.D oncologist (50 hours), D.O oncologist(50 Hours), local pediatrician(30 hours), and a surgeon(it was only two surgeries, 6 hours)
I have done research at a top 15 cancer center for the past 3 summers, no publications but the team I've been working with have had success with our projects, the treatment options are currently in clinical trials.
I am apart of a student run volunteering club that takes underprivileged children from the local area on field trips on the weekends, also apart of UNICEF (both on campus clubs)
On the club soccer team.

My gpa after freshman year was a 2.75. Ive taken summer classes and winter classes, and haven't gotten lower than a 3.75 since my first year. Im currently a junior.

My school list so far is
Albany
NYMC
Upstate
Downstate
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Netter

PCOM
NYCOM
LECOM

Do i have decent chances at these schools, are there schools that I should add or take away from this list? And how bad will my freshman gpa hurt me? A 3.59 is not impressive, but had it not been for freshman year I would have a 3.92. (I understand, I'm not the only one who had a tough time freshman year).

Also, is it something that I would have to explain. The truth is I wanted to be an econ neuro double major and it just backfired. I also had a close relative going through health issues but I'm reluctant of mentioning that.

Members don't see this ad.

Your low freshman GPA will have no effect on your application because you have done so well since then. All the schools on your list are appropriate with your credentials. You could add Hofstra, Einstein, Penn State and Commonwealth (PA) since you seem to prefer to remain in the northeast. Add a few more DO schools and you will be accepted somewhere. Submit all your secondaries by the end of August and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha thank you so much! I don't necessarily prefer the northeast, I'm from New York City so I have limited knowledge of schools outside of NY, NJ, PA, etc. how long should my list be? And should I apply to some lower tier Do schools as well?

And in regards to the freshman gpa, I won't need to explain my way out of it?

You're going to be fine. We like seeing stellar upward trends.
My suggested list:

Albany
NYMC
Upstate
Downstate
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Netter
Hofstra