3.59sGPA, 3.65cGPA, 38 MCAT - Chance at top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikaros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good upward trend with GPA (sGPA had two C+'s in first two years, since then it has been much better)

Graduated May 2012 from top 20 private school (non-Ivy), 2 years in two different labs (1 year per lab) during school with full-time summers, but no pubs. A little volunteering and ECs during school but not much.

Gap year: Since May 2012, have been working full time on a clinical research project (direct contact with patients and doctors), shadowed in 3 different specialties (~500+ hours total), volunteered at homeless shelter (clinical) for 3 hours/week for about 10 weeks, volunteer at animal shelter (non-clinical) for 4 hours/week since last August, just starting to volunteer at a home to provide housing and support for famillies with patients in peds. Also taking some public health courses for "fun" (though I will get credit).

Do I have a shot at top 10 schools? I know MCAT-wise, I'm fine but my GPA being on the lower side (below 10th percentile for most according to MSAR), I'm a little weary. Is it worth applying late in August if I take some post-bac classes in June-July to bump my GPA up?

Members don't see this ad.

Good upward trend with GPA (sGPA had two C+'s in first two years, since then it has been much better)

Graduated May 2012 from top 20 private school (non-Ivy), 2 years in two different labs (1 year per lab) during school with full-time summers, but no pubs. A little volunteering and ECs during school but not much.

Gap year: Since May 2012, have been working full time on a clinical research project (direct contact with patients and doctors), shadowed in 3 different specialties (~500+ hours total), volunteered at homeless shelter (clinical) for 3 hours/week for about 10 weeks, volunteer at animal shelter (non-clinical) for 4 hours/week since last August, just starting to volunteer at a home to provide housing and support for famillies with patients in peds. Also taking some public health courses for "fun" (though I will get credit).

Do I have a shot at top 10 schools? I know MCAT-wise, I'm fine but my GPA being on the lower side (below 10th percentile for most according to MSAR), I'm a little weary. Is it worth applying late in August if I take some post-bac classes in June-July to bump my GPA up?

As for shadowing, you're way above average. Your other EC's, however, seem a bit bare. You have some research experience, so that's really good. A top 10 school might be a reach (for anyone I guess), but a top 20 seems within grasp if you apply broadly and early.

With respect to the top schools, your ECs are good but perhaps not outstanding enough to balance out your GPA, and the potential improvement in your GPA from additional classes may not counterbalance the disadvantage from applying late, though I don't think anyone can definitively tell you whether you should apply early or take the additional classes.

Would agree with Aerus that top 20-25ish is in reach for you now.

Do you have potential for publication if you stay with the clinical research for another year? If so, I would do that and continue to take classes: higher GPA + publication in hand would serve you well.

Applying in late August is a sure fire way to murder your chances unless you are a total rockstar. With a lower GPA (for top schools) and ok but not stellar ECs you should be applying in June to give yourself the best chance. Make sure you include plenty of non top 10 schools or you may well end up a reapplicant.