3.5c 3.3s 26Q. Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geh926

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: 3.4c 3.2s with a 26R now 27
Solid ec's, shadowing, research, etc.

I'm aware this isn't very competitive for MD but I am applying to both MD and DO, really have no preference between the two and am happily willing to go either path. So I'm wondering

1. Is this good enough to get into a DO school?
2. I have a scheduled retake for June 20. I know an improved score would help me in the MD route, but the two bad things are that I won't be reviewed until late July at the earliest then for both applications and the possibility of a worse score?

3. With that said, should I still retake? or just apply early to solely DO schools and hope for the best?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if no preference is true, be done with it. You'll get into osteopathic school.

U got a solid chance my friend...... (Fact: I seriously dont have any friends)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you're fine for any DO program

1. Is this good enough to get into a DO school?

Yup. With more possible bad outcomes than good, it's foolish to retake. Keep in mind that your GPAs are below avg for MD matriculants, the sGPA especially so.

2. I have a scheduled retake for June 20. I know an improved score would help me in the MD route, but the two bad things are that I won't be reviewed until late July at the earliest then for both applications and the possibility of a worse score?

See 1 and 2

3. With that said, should I still retake? or just apply early to solely DO schools and hope for the best?

Thanks so much for any advice![/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks a lot for your responses and giving me a much needed confidence boost. I guess I wasn't sure my score was competitive with a lower gpa and was worried about my 7 in verbal.

One last thing. What do you think about applying right away in June, registering for mcat after I submit and then if I'm not scoring at least a few points better on average on my practice tests, simply not sit for the exam. That way, my DO apps would still be reviewed with my first score and could possibly make me more competitive for MD programs later in the summer?

Thanks again!

Sorry if I seem a little skeptical/trollish. It's just that I really didn't think that would be competitive for all the DO schools rather than just the possibility of getting in somewhere. Combine that with the fact that I'm basically about to leap for joy right now at the library as I consider shutting this TBR physics book for good. ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1368994408.408783.jpg

Sorry if I seem a little skeptical/trollish. It's just that I really didn't think that would be competitive for all the DO schools rather than just the possibility of getting in somewhere. Combine that with the fact that I'm basically about to leap for joy right now at the library as I consider shutting this TBR physics book for good. View attachment 23692

I'm burning my books when I'm done.

okay stats for DO but if you really think you can do better, retake it

I appreciate all the input!

I've been torn all day deciding whether I should kick the retake plan and devote all my focus to a solid early application

or

apply mid/late June with first MCAT score on file and then possibly go for a July 2 retake.

After a month of writer's block, I had a break through PS draft that I worked on all day so I'm realizing that both just aren't feasible right now. Submitting right away in June would basically mean taking the next ~2 weeks off of MCAT studying to get my primary complete and solid. I know I can do better on the test, just not sure how many points better and if it's worth potential delays.

Haha what to do, what to do? :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the input!

I've been torn all day deciding whether I should kick the retake plan and devote all my focus to a solid early application

or

apply mid/late June with first MCAT score on file and then possibly go for a July 2 retake.

After a month of writer's block, I had a break through PS draft that I worked on all day so I'm realizing that both just aren't feasible right now. Submitting right away in June would basically mean taking the next ~2 weeks off of MCAT studying to get my primary complete and solid. I know I can do better on the test, just not sure how many points better and if it's worth potential delays.

Haha what to do, what to do? :rolleyes:

As for now, if your ECs are good, you have a great shot getting into some of the most established DO schools (DMU, NOVA, AZCOM etc...). The question is: Will be happy becoming a DO physician? If yes, you should not retake MCAT because there is always a chance (even if it is slim) you might get a lower score...However, If you want MD and you think you can get 31+, it's worth retaking it.

Decided not to retake. So relieved :)

Now I'm working on getting my application in as early as possible. I was wondering if anybody had any input on what schools I should NOT apply to? I've saved up for quite a while so I should be able to apply broadly.

Considering my stats or regional biases, my do not apply list includes UNECOM, both Westerns, Touro CA, PNWU, UMDNJ, OSUCOM, WVSOM, UPKYCOM. What others should I check off?

Thanks!

I'm not following your question. Are you saying you have regional biases? or do you just wish to avoid schools with regional biases?

If the latter, none of the Touros have biases, nor does Western (I have friends on faculty at both places). You probably should skip TCOM, NJCOM, UNECOM, WVSOM, and MSU.

Considering my stats or regional biases, my do not apply list includes UNECOM, both Westerns, Touro CA, PNWU, UMDNJ, OSUCOM, WVSOM, UPKYCOM. What others should I check off?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm not following your question. Are you saying you have regional biases? or do you just wish to avoid schools with regional biases?

If the latter, none of the Touros have biases, nor does Western (I have friends on faculty at both places). You probably should skip TCOM, NJCOM, UNECOM, WVSOM, and MSU.

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

For the Touro and Western, I was considering my stats being low for those schools. For others like UNECOM, WVSOM, UMDNJ, etc. I was considering their regional biases, not my own. I will gladly go anywhere!

Any more you can think of? Not sure about Ohio, and other schools that seem to be committed to rural areas and/or their respective regions (LMU-DCOM, VCOM, CUSOM, ACOM)

I've also been thinking about sending in some applications to DO 1 year Post bacc programs to fill this gap year. I would not mind doing one at all to help me stay fresh in the sciences.

Money aside, do you think this
a. is necessary with my stats?
b. will help out at all for THIS cycle?

I've also been thinking about sending in some applications to DO 1 year Post bacc programs to fill this gap year. I would not mind doing one at all to help me stay fresh in the sciences.

Money aside, do you think this
a. is necessary with my stats?
b. will help out at all for THIS cycle?

I've noticed several of the schools I was rejected by sent post-bacc info a month after..... It won't help out with this cycle but if you don't get in it's a good alternative.

Don't retake the MCAT this cycle if you're only doing it for the MD schools. I've been told by an admin that they won't look at more than the first one you submitted with. And with your original MCAT it's not likely you will get 30+ second time around to counteract how late in the cycle you will then be applying.

With a 26 you have a good shot at DO