3.6 38 MCAT, NY Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanuckPAGirl

That girl needs therapy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what NY schools people would suggest for these stats. Lots of extra curriculars, volunteering, research as well as shadowing. I've compiled a list on what I suspect but I wonder if I'm aiming too low here.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, you are smart enough to get a 3.6 38, yet not smart enough to know you should probably apply to all the top tier NYC (cornell / columbia top, sinai/nyu middle) schools and 1-3 of the SUNYs?

apologies to the poster i'm ripping off
stroke stroke your ego gently down the stream....

All of them. There's no school that will automatically reject you with those numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
mellantro said:

It's free to all who wish to use it!

Are you a canadian citizen? If so, do you have permanent residency here? My roommate from college had numbers very similar to yours and great extra curriculars but had a tough time getting interviews because of his canadian citizenship (no green card). If you're in the same residency situation, I'd go ahead and apply to a LOT more schools.

Canuck-
Apply to all.
The GPA is at or just below that for all the schools; your MCAT is well above the average for any of them.

dc

mellantro said:
Umm, you are smart enough to get a 3.6 38, yet not smart enough to know you should probably apply to all the top tier NYC (cornell / columbia top, sinai/nyu middle) schools and 1-3 of the SUNYs?

...but it was Mr. Rosewater that I stole it from...but I'm not selling it!

Don't apply to any of them. A 3.6 isn't going to get you any interviews. . .

Alexander99 said:
Don't apply to any of them. A 3.6 isn't going to get you any interviews. . .

Combine that low GPA with your mediocre MCAT score and you're in trouble. All I can say is good luck... You'll need it.

With an MCAT score like that you won't have to go to school in New York, you can come to Boston! He he :)

Jealous much people? lol :p

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC and New York Osteopathic are your best hope. Most people on this forum have 3.9+ and 40+. You are definetly on the lower end of the sprectrum.

Peanut79 said:
Jealous much people? lol :p

Jealous of what? All of us on here have 3.8+ and 40+. That's why we're being realsitic with her. A 3.6 isn't gonna cut it!!

Alexander99 said:
Jealous of what? All of us on here have 3.8+ and 40+. That's why we're being realsitic with her. A 3.6 isn't gonna cut it!!

DAMN.
GUESS ILL JUST APPLY TO DO SCHOOLS.

Anyways, I'm busted. It was a theoretical MCAT and it was for styphon. The thing is he really does think a 3.6 is too low to apply to anything but low tier schools and I wanted to see if a high MCAT score with that gpa would makle much of a difference.

Anyways thanks for the replies, even the sarcastic ones.
I knew I'd get a few snarky ones.

CanuckPAGirl said:
DAMN.

Anyways, I'm busted. It was a theoretical MCAT and it was for styphon. The thing is he really does think a 3.6 is too low to apply to anything but low tier schools and I wanted to see if a high MCAT score with that gpa would makle much of a difference.

Is that you in the picture? If so, send some more my way. From there, I'll tell you where you have a shot and where you don't.

--Vinoy

hahaha.
yes it is. :p

That's a helluva theoretical MCAT, I would have speculated at least a 41.

CanuckPAGirl said:
DAMN.

3.6 is just dandy. All you need is a competitive MCAT score (30-33) and you're in a good place for the crapshoot.

Pinkertinkle said:
That's a helluva theoretical MCAT, I would have speculated at least a 39.

I know it's probably unrealistic, I just have high hopes for him. I'm way too optimistic sometimes.

CanuckPAGirl said:
I know it's probably unrealistic, I just have high hopes for him. I'm way too optimistic sometimes.

Well people do make that score (unlike people who hypothesize 45, nobody actually makes that score so it's not realistic), but it's not common. In a fairly high achieving section of the population (pre-meds and particularly the pre-meds that have stuck it out to take the MCAT) that's still top 1-2% (1.3% judging by stats at http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined03.pdf).

I think it's usually better to think lower and be surprised and happy if your bud gets a 38. Don't make him think you expect a 38, cause what does he think your reaction will be if he gets a 31 (still a good score)?

MoosePilot said:
Well people do make that score (unlike people who hypothesize 45, nobody actually makes that score so it's not realistic), but it's not common. In a fairly high achieving section of the population (pre-meds and particularly the pre-meds that have stuck it out to take the MCAT) that's still top 1-2% (1.3% judging by stats at http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined03.pdf).

I think it's usually better to think lower and be surprised and happy if your bud gets a 38. Don't make him think you expect a 38, cause what does he think your reaction will be if he gets a 31 (still a good score)?

Yes, good point. I think this forum sometimes brainwashes me into thinking that a 3.6 and around a 31-33 is just not good enough. I hope for him to get into Buffalo or Rochester really. I did forget to mention that his undergrad was Cornell, though how much of a difference that makes I'm not sure.

CanuckPAGirl said:
Yes, good point. I think this forum sometimes brainwashes me into thinking that a 3.6 and around a 31-33 is just not good enough. I hope for him to get into Buffalo or Rochester really. I did forget to mention that his undergrad was Cornell, though how much of a difference that makes I'm not sure.

a 3.6 and a 31-33 is golden for admission

Given how small the intervals in terms of problems missed past lower 30's on the MCAT, I really dont think anyone can predict with any certainty beyond say 35-36. The difference between a 38 and a 39 is probably one or two questions.

If you look at the MSAR graph, you'll see that once scores hit 35+, your chances of admission dont change that much (i.e. they are very good chances) - there is a deflection in the MCAT / acceptance curve at 35. Is someone with a 40 any more qualified than someone with a 37? probably not, and I doubt it makes much a difference to the admission committe either... unless you are washU (hehe j/k had to sneak that in).

Hmm, if most of you have a 40+ mcat and a 3.8+ gpa and are being serious about it, i guess im way behind with my 3.63 gpa and 30 mcat and will probably not be accepted anywhere then.... :cool:

CanuckPAGirl said:
Yes, good point. I think this forum sometimes brainwashes me into thinking that a 3.6 and around a 31-33 is just not good enough.

The scores you most often see in threads are the ones at the extremes. You see a lot of low scores because they tend to make a lot of "Will I still be able to make it into Medschool?" threads. And then you see the high end because of "subtly concealed" bragging.

Peanut79 said:
Hmm, if most of you have a 40+ mcat and a 3.8+ gpa and are being serious about it, i guess im way behind with my 3.63 gpa and 30 mcat and will probably not be accepted anywhere then.... :cool:

29/3.7 and accepted to three so far. Your 30 is seen as WAY better than my 29. Good Luck and keep that chin up! :luck:

I am guessing your friend probably saw a list of Cornell applicants, their stats, where they got in, and where they matriculated. If the list suggests he is only competitive at a lower tier school, then perhaps he should focus on that spectrum. For example, based on my alma mater's list, someone with a 3.6 and 30 from the university of rochester undergrad would probably focus on schools ranked 50+ on US News. Heck, I was recommended to focus on Drexel, NYMC, Albany, Wake Forest with a 3.6+ and mid 35.

hey canuck, be honest, is that really your pic? I could have sworn i've seen your picture somewhere else before......(not on the sdn boards).

HessExpress said:
hey canuck, be honest, is that really your pic? I could have sworn i've seen your picture somewhere else before......(not on the sdn boards).
I saw it on HOT or NOT. :D

CanuckPAGirl said:
Just curious what NY schools people would suggest for these stats. Lots of extra curriculars, volunteering, research as well as shadowing. I've compiled a list on what I suspect but I wonder if I'm aiming too low here.

Even if I were to tell you not to apply to Weill and P&S, you'd do it anyway, so what point does this exercise serve?

That being said, apply to Cornell and Columbia, you have a great shot. Your GPA falls below their avg, but your MCAT score is solid.

If you absolutely wanna end up in NYC go with the whole shibang...

MSSM
Weill
P&S
Downstate
NYU
Einstein

Anyways, good luck in the process .... hold on for a wild ride, no doubt. :)

3.6 30, yikes.

Peanut79 said:

HessExpress said:

Completely honest. It's me.

I have had problems with my pictures ending up various places though. I would not be suprised if it DID end up on hotornot.

JohnHolmes said:
Even if I were to tell you not to apply to Weill and P&S, you'd do it anyway, so what point does this exercise serve?

That being said, apply to Cornell and Columbia, you have a great shot. Your GPA falls below their avg, but your MCAT score is solid.

If you absolutely wanna end up in NYC go with the whole shibang...

MSSM
Weill
P&S
Downstate
NYU
Einstein

Anyways, good luck in the process .... hold on for a wild ride, no doubt. :)

I was actually asking for someone else and to prove to them that they dont need to just apply to lower tier schools because of their GPA and that the MCAT holds a lot more weight. I think I proved that point.

pekq said:
I am guessing your friend probably saw a list of Cornell applicants, their stats, where they got in, and where they matriculated. If the list suggests he is only competitive at a lower tier school, then perhaps he should focus on that spectrum. For example, based on my alma mater's list, someone with a 3.6 and 30 from the university of rochester undergrad would probably focus on schools ranked 50+ on US News. Heck, I was recommended to focus on Drexel, NYMC, Albany, Wake Forest with a 3.6+ and mid 35.

There is no reason to think a 35 and 3.6 is not competitive at UPPER tier medical schools. Heck, if you look at the numbers, even at Harvard's averages are about a 35 and a 3.7 (pretty close to what you have) for entering students. I don't know why your pessimistic premed counselor is telling you to focus on lower tier schools--I think you got a great shot at some middle to upper tier schools with your scores. My roommate got into Michigan this year with a 31 and a 3.5. Good luck.

Pinkertinkle said:
3.6 30, yikes.

yikes! ive seen people get into med schools with a 28 mcat and way lower gpa, i hope the admissions people dont have that reaction. Ill be taking the mcat again anyway. :rolleyes:

Pinkertinkle said:
I'm just kidding man, those numbers are solid.

No prob :D im just insecure because ive never applied before and i really dont know what to expect, besides all the horror stories ive heard. This whole process is enough to give you an ulcer.

CanuckPAGirl said:
I was actually asking for someone else and to prove to them that they dont need to just apply to lower tier schools because of their GPA and that the MCAT holds a lot more weight. I think I proved that point.

if you don't get into a nyc school with an mcat of 38 then it's not b/c of your mcat. so go fer it

and let me know when you're coming in for an interview. i'll try to stop by :oops:

HessExpress said:

yes that is her, i've gotten a few other ones which look just as goodz :)

CanuckPAGirl said:

The 38 MCAT will put this applicant (your friend) on good footing for this school. As long as they didn't major in Underwater basket weaving at CSU-Dominguez Hills-they are fine (CSU-DH is a fine school, though!).

:)

JH