3.6 c/sGPA 31-33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and I just took my MCAT this weekend. In the coming weeks, I will be meeting with my advisor to present him with a school list. I wanted to see if you guys can critique my school list before I present it to my advisor for final revisions. Thanks!

c/sGPA: 3.60-3.63 depending on how I finish the semester
MCAT 1st try: 30 (12p, 8v, 10b)
MCAT 2nd try: 31-33 prediction
Undergrad: top 15
Race: Asian male
Clinical Volunteering Experience: 200+ hours spread throughout 3 years
Shadowing Experience: 150 total hours across 2 specialties
Research Experience: 500 hours for NIH SIP (co-author of publication accepted for publication)
Community Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours across 2 clubs spread throughout 3 years
Leadership Experience: President of one of the community volunteer clubs I am in
Work Experience: 10hrs/week for 2 semesters for on-campus job
LORS: 1 superb (writer let me read it), 2 great, 3 mediocre
State of Residency: Maryland

EDITED School List:
UMD (state school)
Albany
BU (reach)
Case Western (reach)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton (reach)
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory (reach)
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth (reach)
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra
Jefferson (reach)
Loyola Stritch
Marshall
Medical College Wisconsin (reach)
NY Medical College
Penn State (reach)
Rush (reach)
Saint Louis (reach)
Temple
Commonwealth
Tufts
Tulane
Uniformed Services
Miami Leonard (reach)
Rochester (reach)
Vermont
VCU
VT
Wake Forest (reach)
West Virginia
Western Michigan

I am thinking about adding:
Oakland
Louisville
Kentucky
Iowa
Cincinatti
Toledo

any inputs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
lots of good choices on that list.. also a lot that dont make a lot of sense (to me, maybe you have a reason).

be careful with state schools, many are near impossible for people out of state, or have insane OOS tuition, like Illinois.

there may be some higher-ranked schools that you have a shot at. it seems like you have made an effort to avoid prestigious schools. that's totally fine if you won't regret not even trying to get in to a few.

lots of good choices on that list.. also a lot that dont make a lot of sense (to me, maybe you have a reason).

be careful with state schools, many are near impossible for people out of state, or have insane OOS tuition, like Illinois.

there may be some higher-ranked schools that you have a shot at. it seems like you have made an effort to avoid prestigious schools. that's totally fine if you won't regret not even trying to get in to a few.

Can you mention the ones that you don't think make sense? I basically made this list based off of the OOS acceptance rates and GPA/MCAT for all the OOS schools in the list. Also, which higher ranked schools are you referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
School List:
UMD (state school)
Rosalind Franklin
Marshall
Eastern Virginia
Illinois
SUNY Buffalo
West Virginia
Louisville
VCU
FAU

Tulane
Michigan State
Commonwealth
Penn State
Drexel
Wayne State
Wright State

New York Medical College
Vermont
Creighton
Wake Forest
Toledo
GW
Oakland
Albany
Temple
Jefferson
Tufts
Rush
Kentucky
Loyola Strich
Medical College Wisconsin

These schools to my knowledge will be very IS-selective. Just because the OOS accepted stats might not be extremely high, they might be very particular for accepting OOS applicants with stellar ECs and experiences. Also OOSers who have strong connections with the state, but just don't have residency in that particular state.

Thanks for the input so far. Any schools that you guys might suggest I add?

I'd keep Marshall (45% OOS), Eastern Virginia (50% OOS), West Virginia (40% OOS), VCU (45% OOS), and Penn State (45% OOS) on your list, especially since you are from Maryland which is relatively close to these schools.

I'd keep Marshall (45% OOS), Eastern Virginia (50% OOS), West Virginia (40% OOS), VCU (45% OOS), and Penn State (45% OOS) on your list, especially since you are from Maryland which is relatively close to these schools.

Yea, thanks for the input! I think I'm going to only take out Wayne State, Wright State, Michigan State, FAU, and SUNY Buffalo.

Can anyone else offer some comments/insight, either on my chances or my list?