3.6 cGPA 3.45-3.5 sGPA 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nugang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your top tier schools are all reaches but it is OK to apply to several reach schools. Chicago and Mayo are also reaches because your GPA is low for these reach schools. Tufts, BU and Einstein are within the range for your stats but you should include at least 6 safety schools- schools where the average GPA is 3.6 and where the median MCAT is less than 34. Purchase the MSAR and decide which ones you will apply to but definitely apply to all your state public schools.

Reactions: 1 user
do you think it helps that i go to a top 10 university notorious for grade deflation? im wondering if thats taken into consideration at all

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair to good. Skip Brown, because they favor their UGs. I think U Chicago is aiming too high. I would rule out U Mi and U Va. Try for U AZ, CO and VT instead, and perhaps some neighboring state schools, depending upon where you live.

MSAR Online is your friend.

What would my chances be for top tiers (NYU, Cornell, Duke, Mich, Sinai, Brown, etc)?
Would it be safe to say I have a good shot at some mid tiers like Tufts, Einstein, BU, NW, Chicago, Mayo, etc?

Also does there seem to be any gaps in my application?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Fair to good. Skip Brown, because they favor their UGs. I think U Chicago is aiming too high. I would rule out U Mi and U Va. Try for U AZ, CO and VT instead, and perhaps some neighboring state schools, depending upon where you live.

MSAR Online is your friend.

What would my chances be for top tiers (NYU, Cornell, Duke, Mich, Sinai, Brown, etc)?
Would it be safe to say I have a good shot at some mid tiers like Tufts, Einstein, BU, NW, Chicago, Mayo, etc?

Also does there seem to be any gaps in my application?

Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

You said 'Fair to good' in regards to mid tiers? Lets say i was able to bring up my GPA to around a 3.65, again at a top 10 instituion, would that give me a shot at some top tiers like NYU? or am i totally ruled out with those?

A 3.6 is NYUs floor, but still in striking distance. Keep in mind that these schools have a median cGPA for matriculants of 3.9! Duke might be easier, but with a 3.6 and 34, you're below avg for these schools. So, they're more like reaches. BU might a tad easier still, ditto Emory, Dartmouth, and Keck. Tufts is much easier still. Also suggest Loyola, Tulane, U Miami, Hofstra and all other new schools. Don't forget your state schools!

You said 'Fair to good' in regards to mid tiers? Lets say i was able to bring up my GPA to around a 3.65, again at a top 10 instituion, would that give me a shot at some top tiers like NYU? or am i totally ruled out with those?[/QUOTE]