MD 3.6 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 27 MCAT: If/how/where/when to apply/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglemaster42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I finished my 3rd year at the University of Cincinnati and here's how I've done
Residency: Ohio
Major: Psychology B.S.
Cumulative GPA: 3.60
Science GPA: 3.45
MCAT 27 (10 BS, 8 PS, 9 VR)
EC's: I've been working in an experimental psychology lab at UC since freshman year and started working in a sensory biology lab at UC as well back in January. I have also been a volunteer tutor in Cincinnati Public Schools since freshman year.

A few things I'm wondering:

1) I only started studying 2 weeks prior to my MCAT so I'm fairly confident I can bump the score up at least a couple points and am wondering whether it's better to retake it sooner so I can start applying sooner (1 month from now with dedicated studying) or take a little longer to study (2-ish months?) and hopefully get a bigger score increase?

2) I realize my EC's in health related fields is lacking, so would starting to shadow/volunteer now be enough to help or would I need a full gap year?

3)What are my chances looking like and which schools can I realistically look into (if any)? I'd prefer a school in a city bigger than Cincinnati and not in the midwest but I realize I'm not in a position to be picky so any school will suit me fine (not really interested in DO though).

4) I'm more interested in research than patient care. Yes, I know I'm not the most competitive MD/Ph.D candidate, but I can still get a Ph.D after MD (IF I get into an MD program) right?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should take a Gap year or two and explore why you want to be a doctor(MD or DO) and not a PhD. You seem to have no shadowing or clinical experiences. In fact, with exception of research, you seem to be really lacking in ECs greatly needed to make your application better. I'd hold off on the MCAT retake and get busy with your ECs. After a few months you just may decide to ditch med school and focus on grad school.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year, you need to not rush your MCAT and make sure you are fully studied for it before you take it again. Further, you really need shadowing/clinical volunteering for your application to show that you know what healthcare is like/what it's like being a physician, take this year to get involved in those ASAP so that by the time you apply, you have a more long-term, continuous commitment to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really in a hurry so I'll look into taking a year to buff my EC's. Also, do you know if I would need to take the new 2015 MCAT if I apply next year? because the new version seems like a pain

Also, do you know if I would need to take the new 2015 MCAT if I apply next year? because the new version seems like a pain
The last "old MCAT" will be administered in January 2015.
Most schools will probably stick to their usual expiration dates for MCAT scores (2 to 3 years).