3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 25O, chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allvol006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at a small private university and am planning on applying 2010-11 cycle. Just wanting to know if I will be a competitive applicant for DO schools. I have decent EC's and good LOR's. Also, should I retake the MCAT, and if I do well, apply to both MD and DO or would MD be a waste of time? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

25 is a low mcat even for DO. I'd retake it, a 28+ would make you very competitive for DO and a 30+ would make you competitive/within the possibility for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your cGPA is strong enough to compensate for a very-slightly-low MCAT score for DO schools (my information is that 25.5 is the average MCAT for those matriculating to DO schools). If you want a shot at MD schools, I'd suggest you aim for an MCAT score of 31. If you score in that arena repeatedly on practice tests, it would be worth retaking.

With those numbers, DO is definitely possible. For MD, a retake of the MCAT would be needed.