3.6 cGPA; 3.5 sGPA; 28L MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjk3771

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grades don't have any real trend, they've been fairly consistent, all my grades are B's or better (my university doesn't do plusses or minuses).

The MCAT breakdown was PS 8, VR 11, BS 9. I don't know what happened with PS, I consistently got 10 or better on the many practice tests I took.

As far as EC, I have accumulated 200 hours of volunteering in the ER, 100 hours of shadowing physicians, served on executive board for my school's Habitat for Humanity chapter and went on spring break building trips twice, and have done genetic research abroad.

Realistically, what are my chances of getting into a low/mid tier MD or DO program?

My school list:
University of Iowa
Creighton
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Virginia Commonwealth
AT Still Kirksville
Midwestern University
Des Moines University
Kansas City University
LECOM - Erie, PA
Marian
Nova Southeastern
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're looking good for DO acceptance based on your stats (what happened on writing). As far as MD schools go, it may be a bit of a stretch yet not impossible. Your list is good with lower-mid tier schools and I presume all of your state's schools. Just make sure to apply early!

Good luck

I honestly don't know what happened on the writing section either. I think I'm a decent writer and I've had my personal statement evaluated by people much more intelligent than me and they told me it was a great statement. From what I've heard though, the writing score isn't super important (which would explain why the MCAT is doing away with it next year). My applications have been submitted and verified so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah I know the writing isn't important I just noticed the "L"

Good luck with the cycle. Where did you apply?

Haha I was very shocked and literally said "WTF" when I saw the L for writing. L for Love I guess. Thank you! I applied to all those schools I listed above previously. I figure my stats are all in the acceptable range and I'm hopefully a competitive applicant.