3.6 cGPA/ 3.75 sGPA 6 in VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanBlue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just need some feedback on my stats for a particular DO school. That school is Western/COMP.

I have been striving to go to MD schools, but unfortunately after a 1+ year of battling the MCAT ( 1 void, 2 scored exams) I am afraid I cannot pursue the beast any further at this point.

My first scored exam was a 27 (10/6/11). Yes VR is the, perceived, big stopper in my future application.

I took the recent september 7th exam, but I felt like absolute crap about it. I have taken MANY practice MCATs as well as two real MCATs so I have a good feel for how these things go. I was scoring 12's/13's in PS 6-8s in VR ad 11's in BS on practice, but for the 9/7 exam, everything felt way harder and I guessed on at least 5 PS problems. All in all I am not counting on this score to be a very good one so I am just sticking with my chances with my 27 on my previous exam.

I just want to know how my chances are at Western/COMP for DO with these stats. I feel like I would only go to this DO because I am in love with Southern California and despise living without a coast. Otherwise I would just keep trying at this exam like a gambler in vegas (hope to get lucky) and keep taking it for the VR lucky break and apply to MDs.

Throw me any brutal honesty or opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

With such great stats I would take a year off and Study the MCAT straight for a year. Assuming your other parts are well done, you have a great shot at MD. While theres no difference between MD/DO, MD would open doors to the more competitive option (Derm, Radiology etc) and higher possibilities of promotion.

I know you seem jaded, but this cycle is already reaching the point of being a little late. Just sit it out and study that MCAT every day like you're going to take it tomorrow.

With such great stats I would take a year off and Study the MCAT straight for a year. Assuming your other parts are well done, you have a great shot at MD. While theres no difference between MD/DO, MD would open doors to the more competitive option (Derm, Radiology etc) and higher possibilities of promotion.

I know you seem jaded, but this cycle is already reaching the point of being a little late. Just sit it out and study that MCAT every day like you're going to take it tomorrow.

I don't plan on applying until the 2013 cycle.

Unfortunately, this summer was the last opportunity I could study for the MCAT everyday. I gave it my all for 3 months as a last stand to this beast (by beast I really mean the VR). It didn't really work despite using every bit of verbal practice available and reading inbetween for a year. At this point I have to work full time and shadow on the side so I fear that another attempt at the MCAT would result in worse science scores.

Would Western/COMP cut me out of admissions just because of a 6 in VR?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are very unlikely to get into Western with a 6 in VR. The school has some of the most rigorous admission standards for all DO schools. There are strategies in order to improve your verbal score. I would seek out private tutoring or try ExamKrackers, retake the test in January, and get to where you want to go. Don't look back on what could have been.

You are very unlikely to get into Western with a 6 in VR. The school has some of the most rigorous admission standards for all DO schools. There are strategies in order to improve your verbal score. I would seek out private tutoring or try ExamKrackers, retake the test in January, and get to where you want to go. Don't look back on what could have been.

=\. Yeah, I have tried even the most random strategies I have found on these threads, but to no avail. It's like I just have an abnormally bad short term memory when I read. I did EK twice already. You think it would be wise to go through that book again for a 3rd time?

=\. Yeah, I have tried even the most random strategies I have found on these threads, but to no avail. It's like I just have an abnormally bad short term memory when I read. I did EK twice already. You think it would be wise to go through that book again for a 3rd time?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

I recommend doing the 3 months as a last stand. It might feel scary as hell, but I was in a similar position to you and drastically improved my score.