MD 3.6 cGPA, 33 MCAT, Worried about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hallowumpkin31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lurked on here for a while but this is my first time posting. I'm really worried because I only have 1 interview and it's from my alma mater. I have 3 rejections already. I applied to over 30 MD schools (many are top schools I know I don't have a good shot at, but I have about 20 that are targets or better). My top choice is University of Colorado, and I'm in-state there. I have been complete at all schools since early to mid-August.

-3.6 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA (from a Top-10 college)
-33 MCAT
-Clinical experience: 3 years volunteering as an EMT at about 25 hours/week (of course, this includes a lot of down time between calls) and extensive leadership experience with my EMS organization
-Research: 2 years in my lab at about 20-25 hours/week (including 2 summers working full time), continuing to do a senior thesis which will be complete in the spring
-Shadowing: 90 hours between 4 providers in different specialties
-Some other activities and hobbies that I am passionate about

I have an explainable dip in my GPA with an upward trend afterwards, but I honestly am starting to think that schools don't actually look for trends. I am getting very cynical and I feel like I put in all of this time into research and volunteering for nothing. Should I be worried about not gaining acceptance this cycle? Do I have a shot at Colorado?

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn
What are my chances of getting in this cycle?

Should I add more schools? Is there anything else I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a) there've been a million threads like this recently. Too early to panic about not getting enough II's.
b) What was your list
c) when were you completed. IF you weren't even completed until that long ago, that's makes panicking right now even sillier.

I was complete at every school early-mid August. My list is:

Target:
-Rochester
-Southern Cal
-Oregon Health & Science
-UVA
-Pitt
-Colorado
-Dartmouth
-Arizona
-Stony Brook
-Vermont
-Utah
-Tufts
-Wake Forest
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-Virginia Tech
-Creighton
-Albany
-SUNY Upstate
-SUNY Buffal0
-Penn State
-Tulane

Reach:
-Stanford
-Duke
-UCLA
-UCSD
-Vandy
-UMich
-Northwestern
-Case Western
-Baylor
-Mayo

Members don't see this ad :)
While there are a ton of rather long shot schools there I see at least 10 or so you can realistically be competitive for. It hasn't even been two months since you were completed. Give it time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider these schools target for you, either bc of stats, IS, mission, or low yield due to high applicant volume:
Rochester
USC
Dartmouth - non trad selection
Tulane - service mission specific, high volume
UVA
Pitt
Utah
SUNYs
Va Tech - low yield, need more research and pubs

Should have added: OUWB, temple, Drexel, Jeff, nymc, western mi, Hofstra

I wouldn't consider these schools target for you, either bc of stats, IS, mission, or low yield due to high applicant volume:
Rochester
USC
Dartmouth - non trad selection
Tulane - service mission specific, high volume
UVA
Pitt
Utah
SUNYs
Va Tech - low yield, need more research and pubs

Should have added: OUWB, temple, Drexel, Jeff, nymc, western mi, Hofstra

I agree with this person, but I think you're realistically competitive for most of the remaining 10-12 schools outside of this. I think you'll get in this cycle.

Lol @ your reach list. Come on.

Why not Temple U? Your stats and EC are right on for them.

Better rock that interview.

Lol @ your reach list. Come on.

Why not Temple U? Your stats and EC are right on for them.

Better rock that interview.

My only interview is from my reach list. That's why I'm freaking out because I feel like there's no chance I'm going to get in there... Do you really think I'm not going to get any more interviews out of the list I have? Should I apply to more schools?

I'd be surprised if you don't get one or two more, but there are so many schools your stats are perfect for that you left out. Temple was only the first that came to mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks... You're right, I think I'm going to add them.

Do you think I have a chance at my state school (Colorado)? That's my dream school. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do; I was considering writing an ITA e-mail since I'll be there around the holidays. I would even consider writing a letter of intent because it's my #1 choice by far.

CO schools, whether MD or DO, are notoriously competitive. I don't think you don't have a chance, but you're not a shoe-in. Those letters of intent generally don't do too much unless you've got some pull on the inside (networking, etc).

It's a roll of the dice. With applicants increasing every year and all, you just have to throw it all against the wall and see what sticks. It sucks. I can empathize.

Of your list, your chances are best at the following. A good chunk of your list will be donations.

-Rochester
-Southern Cal
-Colorado
-Stony Brook
-Vermont
-Tufts
-Wake Forest
-Creighton
-Albany
-Penn State
-Tulane
-Case Western
-Mayo

Of your list, your chances are best at the following. A good chunk of your list will be donations.

-Rochester
-Southern Cal
-Colorado
-Stony Brook
-Vermont
-Tufts
-Wake Forest
-Creighton
-Albany
-Penn State
-Tulane
-Case Western
-Mayo

Could I PM you my final list so you could let me know which ones I have the best chance of receiving a II from as well? I submitted a while back and have heard almost nothing :(

-Rochester
-Southern Cal
-Colorado
-Stony Brook
-Vermont
-Tufts
-Wake Forest
-Creighton
-Albany
-Penn State
-Tulane
-Case Western
-Mayo

Yeah I realize many of the schools I applied to were a shot in the dark, but I figured why not if I had enough targets that I'd get in somewhere. Of these 14 schools that you think I have a decent chance at, how many interviews should I expect, and can I count on an acceptance with any confidence?

Should I add a few more schools to my list? If so, which?

Nobody can answer your chances in terms of giving you a specific number of II's to expect or where to expect an acceptance. Historically about 2/3 people who apply with a 3.6/33 obtain an acceptance somewhere. If you want to argue your big name of your undergrad school might boost your odds, here is one example of a top tier school and how their students do in med school admission.

https://www.career.cornell.edu/resources/upload/applicant_guide_v2014.pdf

As you can see, non URMs with your stats once again have about a 2/3 chance of acceptance give or take. Good interviewing skills will boost those odds significantly.

Teaching moment! It does NOT work this way!!!!

It's a fool's errand to count interviews before you get them. All I can say is that I think that you're competitive.

An acceptance is on you.

At this point in time? Any DO program. Start with CCOM, MUCOM, the coastal Touros, both Westerns, DMU, PCOM and AZCOM.

Yeah I realize many of the schools I applied to were a shot in the dark, but I figured why not if I had enough targets that I'd get in somewhere. Of these 14 schools that you think I have a decent chance at, how many interviews should I expect, and can I count on an acceptance with any confidence?

Should I add a few more schools to my list? If so, which?

Reactions: 1 user