3.6 cGPA, MPH degree, terrible MCAT -- please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cu2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am finishing up in graduate school, getting my Master of Public Health degree. I have only taken the MCAT once in August and got a 23 (yes I know it is bad, I panicked).

My undergrad degree is in Animal Science and I have a ton of veterinary experience that an advisor said could be used as clinical experience.

I did a veterinary internship for ten weeks abroad and I studied abroad for my MPH degree.

I have been assisting a post doc in a lab all summer and now basically run all her experiments and work as a lab tech.

I will work at the CDC in the Spring in Reproductive Health.

Is it possible to be accepted into a state MD school even with my horrible MCAT score?! Or should I not bother submitting my application? I feel bad because all my recommendations have come in. DO is not an option for me.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am finishing up in graduate school, getting my Master of Public Health degree. I have only taken the MCAT once in August and got a 23 (yes I know it is bad, I panicked).

My undergrad degree is in Animal Science and I have a ton of veterinary experience that an advisor said could be used as clinical experience.

I did a veterinary internship for ten weeks abroad and I studied abroad for my MPH degree.

I have been assisting a post doc in a lab all summer and now basically run all her experiments and work as a lab tech.

I will work at the CDC in the Spring in Reproductive Health.

Is it possible to be accepted into a state MD school even with my horrible MCAT score?! Or should I not bother submitting my application? I feel bad because all my recommendations have come in. DO is not an option for me.
Unless you are a candidate for one of the med schools that serves Puerto Rico or a historically Black medical college, you don't have a chance at an MD school in the US with an MCAT score of 23.

I have never heard the opinion expressed that veterinary experience would substitute for clinical experience, where you interact with sick humans, or physician shadowing, where you watch docs interacting with their patients. I strongly recommend that you get the usual and customary experiences with humans before you apply. I presume you already have some community volunteerism, teaching, and maybe leadership, besides the mentioned research, which sounds like it will be excellent.