3.6 GPA, 28 MCAT(2nd retake), URM, CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm waiting to be verified I decided to get some feedback on my school list while I am applying. I included some reach schools for good measure.

Identified as disadvantaged since first-generation college student, dad works construction and my mom is a maid, low-income, live in an underserved latino community, etc.

Things to note: My personal statement reflected my background and my interests in serving the underserved. I hope my activities reflect that...

Here are my activities listed on my AMCAS:

-most meaningful-
Medical Researcher/Clinical Observer at UC Medical Center- 1 yr, 220hrs
-worked on a research project where I attended rounds with various different internal medicine attendings. Attended over 40 rounds in a year.

Program Leader/Mentor at an after-school program for 7-8th graders- 1 yr, 900hrs
-disadvantaged students. led a science club where we ran experiments. I was alumni of the program, very meaningful experience for me.

Medical Spanish Translator/ Smoking Cessation Officer-4 yrs, 500 hrs
-volunteered as a translator in a student run health clinic, where we are able to provide free medical services to the underserved community.

---other activities---
1.Patient Health Education Volunteer, 7 months-70 hrs
2.Upper Division Honors Program, 80hrs
3.Peer Mentor @Health professions advising center, 1 yr, 100 hrs
4.Science Ambassador, 1 yr, 80 hrs
-representing our science department college in various events
5.Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Research, 1 yr, 420 hrs
6.CAMP Statewide Undergraduate Symposium in 2011 and 2012- 30 hrs
-included honors award
7.Treasurer/Founding Member of Fraternity, 2 yrs, 220 hrs
8.Undergraduate Inorganic Chemistry Research, 1 yr 220 hrs
9. Clinical Care Extender Internship, 11 months, 112 hrs
10. Powerlifting, hobbies, 4 yrs, 880 hrs
11. California Alliance for Minority Participation Member and Internal Coordinator
-encourages minority to pursue an education in the STEM fields and we provide them with resources for them to excel.
-------

School list:
Albany,
Columbia
Duke,
George washington Uni
Georgetown
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda
Loyola stritch
Moorehouse
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Suny downstate
temple
UCI Med
UCLA
UCR
UCSD
UCSF
University of Illinois
USC
Uni of Washington in Seattle

Probably too top heavy? Help me add more schools please. Ideally, I want to stay in California and get into a PRIME program!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I have access to MSAR. When compiling a list of schools besides seeing if I fit there, should I look at the 10% percentile stats and see if I fall in their range?

Also, I plan on retaking mcat if I don't gain admission this cycle since I know I can improve verbal to 10-11 by next year!

Thanks!! :love:

My stats are similar to yours, I hear the UC's are very hard to get into. Also, why WashU, Columbia, John Hopkins??? I think applying to those schools is a waste of money, or a waste of FAP spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU is the best in primary care and that is a huge focus for going into medicine for me. I think it will be a great fit! I have a couple friends who were accepted with sub 30 mcat scores so I still think I might have a chance.

As for Johns Hopkins and Columbia, I wanted to apply to some very reach schools. I agree, I might remove them. Besides the prestige, I don't know much about the school to be a "fit". It might be a better use of my spots to apply to schools with lower mcat ranges. Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

WashU is the best in primary care and that is a huge focus for going into medicine for me. I think it will be a great fit! I have a couple friends who were accepted with sub 30 mcat scores so I still think I might have a chance.

As for Johns Hopkins and Columbia, I wanted to apply to some very reach schools. I agree, I might remove them. Besides the prestige, I don't know much about the school to be a "fit". It might be a better use of my spots to apply to schools with lower mcat ranges. Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

I know WashU is great, any applicant would kill to go there, but realistically your not in their 10th percentile for GPA or MCAT. Same goes for Johns Hopkins and Columbia. Your friends are anomalies that's for sure.

You're absolutely right! I was referring to University of Washington, and for some reason my friend called it WashU. I might have chance here tho since I fall in their range.

WashU's AVERAGE is a 3.8-3.9 and a 37....

Theres many qualified applicants in that academic range that also are a 'great fit'

Albany,
Columbia
Duke,
George washington Uni
Georgetown
Jefferson

Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda
Loyola stritch
Moorehouse
Rosalind Franklin
Rush

Suny downstate
temple
UCI Med
UCLA
UCR
UCSD
UCSF
University of Illinois
USC
WashU

I have bolded what schools you have a chance at getting into.

My advice might seem harsh, but I think its best to be honest... especially if you are applying all MD and not applying DO.

is there a reason for that?
From what I understand DOs emphasize primary care which you mentioned is a very strong interest of yours.

Thank you for the advice! I made a mistake when I mentioned WashU, I was referring to University of Washington in Seattle!

I agree with what you posted. I regret not applying DO but it is too late for me to apply now and asking all my professors to re-submit lors will be a pain. I feel confident that I will be accepted to an MD school. If not, I will apply next cycle with a better mcat and DO as well.

I'm applying to all California medical schools since I would really like to stay here. My friend with exactly the same stats as me but lower GPA was accepted to UCLA this past cycle. He encouraged me to apply to the UCs.

I really value your feedback, I encourage everyone to be harsh! I will eliminate those other top schools! If you have other schools that fit my stats, please let me know!

You're absolutely right! I was referring to University of Washington, and for some reason my friend called it WashU. I might have chance here tho since I fall in their range.

Lol well that makes a huuuuuge difference! You have a better shot here, but they favor in-state applicants heavily. I think out of about 3,700 out of state applicants, they interviewed 20, and accepted even fewer. So I'd take that into consideration.

haha sorry for the confusion! I'm not that delusional, I promise!

Yeah, I heard that they favor in-state applicants! I'll take that into account, thank you!

Are you applying this cycle?

haha sorry for the confusion! I'm not that delusional, I promise!

Yeah, I heard that they favor in-state applicants! I'll take that into account, thank you!

Are you applying this cycle?

Yea I am. I submitted my primary 7/24, kinda late but I wanted to wait until my mcat scores came back. I've applied to 14 schools. Ive completed one secondary, now just waiting for the rest!

Dude me too! July 24!

Also, just got a job offer as a health educator in an underserved community as part of AltaMed americorps! Looking forward to the gap year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't. I know I should have though. It's too late now anyways, I'll be applying very broadly(26-30 schools) though.

I hope to see you in the interview trail! :xf:

I didn't. I know I should have though. It's too late now anyways, I'll be applying very broadly(26-30 schools) though.

I hope to see you in the interview trail! :xf:

Yea. I filled out my AACOMAS, but something funky happened with my AACOMAS FAP, so I ended up not applying DO, hopefully it wont make a difference. We'll see what happens!!

Sorry to hear about that...don't worry, I am sure if you apply broadly you will be accepted! :)

This is my updated list:
Schools in my MCAT(+2)/GPA range
Albany,
George washington Uni
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
temple
Drexel
Tufts
New York medical college
University of Illinois
Uni of Washington
uni of Minnesota
Uni of Cincinnati
Uni of maryland
Ohio State
UC Davis
UCI
UCR

Reach:
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Case western
Emory
Uni of Chicago pritzker
Brown
Albert Einstein college

I tried to be broad with my 3.6/28MCAT. For the reach, these are schools that really care for primary care and it will be a blessing if I gain an acceptance. For all the UCs, I will be applying to PRIME programs. Feedback of any kind, will be appreciated! Happy weekend!

I'm pretty sure you are exactly what UC's are looking for. I think you'll have no trouble getting UC interviews and into a PRIME program :)

Sorry to hear about that...don't worry, I am sure if you apply broadly you will be accepted! :)

This is my updated list:
Schools in my MCAT(+2)/GPA range
Albany,
George washington Uni
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola stritch
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
temple
Drexel
Tufts
New York medical college
University of Illinois
Uni of Washington
uni of Minnesota
Uni of Cincinnati
Uni of maryland
Ohio State
UC Davis
UCI
UCR

Reach:
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Case western
Emory
Uni of Chicago pritzker
Brown
Albert Einstein college

I tried to be broad with my 3.6/28MCAT. For the reach, these are schools that really care for primary care and it will be a blessing if I gain an acceptance. For all the UCs, I will be applying to PRIME programs. Feedback of any kind, will be appreciated! Happy weekend!

UWash is a waste for OOSers. They reject strong applicants because they're OOS. Unless you have a very strong desire in rural medicine and research, don't apply there.

But I suppose it's too late since you already applied there. Well, expect nothing from.UWash and other reach schools.

UWash is a waste for OOSers. They reject strong applicants because they're OOS. Unless you have a very strong desire in rural medicine and research, don't apply there.

But I suppose it's too late since you already applied there. Well, expect nothing from.UWash and other reach schools.

"Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

Doesn't this mean that you still have a chance, despite being OOS, if you meet these criteria? I added this school to my list because I fulfilled the economic disadvantaged background and I have extensive experience with underserved populations...

"Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered."

Doesn't this mean that you still have a chance, despite being OOS, if you meet these criteria? I added this school to my list because I fulfilled the economic disadvantaged background and I have extensive experience with underserved populations...

I was accepted at the U of W as applicant from CA. They had this mission statement even in the 70's!

Thank you! I'll apply broadly! I'll post back after this cycle!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update you all! So far, I've gained 6 IIs: UCLA, UC Davis, UC Riverside, University of Colorado, University of Utah, and Loyola Stritch. I'm still waiting on other schools. I applied as an undocumented applicant under DACA status. I knew it would be hard getting in with my status and my stats but I couldn't have been more grateful!

So far, I've been accepted to University of Colorado. I withdrew my interview to Utah after my acceptance to Colorado, since I wasn't planning on going to Utah over Colorado :)

I finished interviewing at all the UCs and I am expecting to hear back by this Friday! I'm so close to getting into my top choice! I have Loyola stritch this March 4th!

I wanted to thank all of you that helped answer my questions!! @Sonofsertoli Looks like you made it too!! Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 users
How did this work out for you? Just curious as my stats are the same as yours, except I'm a Texas resident and trying to compile my OOS school list. Let me know! :) @Medicalhopeful

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update you all! So far, I've gained 6 IIs: UCLA, UC Davis, UC Riverside, University of Colorado, University of Utah, and Loyola Stritch. I'm still waiting on other schools. I applied as an undocumented applicant under DACA status. I knew it would be hard getting in with my status and my stats but I couldn't have been more grateful!

So far, I've been accepted to University of Colorado. I withdrew my interview to Utah after my acceptance to Colorado, since I wasn't planning on going to Utah over Colorado :)

I finished interviewing at all the UCs and I am expecting to hear back by this Friday! I'm so close to getting into my top choice! I have Loyola stritch this March 4th!

I wanted to thank all of you that helped answer my questions!! @Sonofsertoli Looks like you made it too!! Congrats!!

I'm sitting in a library right now with the biggest smile on my face. This gives me so much hope considering I am also DACA status and will be applying soon. You're the first DACA recipient that I heard of getting accepted into medical schools. There may be many others out there like you and I just want to collectively thank all of those DACA recipients who have made it. You guys are trailblazers creating paths for many other uninformed and uncertain DACA recipients. Possibly being the first DACA recipients at many med schools across the country. Congratulations on getting accepted into med school stranger and thank you for being a role model.

I forgot to mention, I have access to MSAR. When compiling a list of schools besides seeing if I fit there, should I look at the 10% percentile stats and see if I fall in their range?

Also, I plan on retaking mcat if I don't gain admission this cycle since I know I can improve verbal to 10-11 by next year!

Thanks!! :love:

Congrats on getting in! I know how hard it was to be disadvantaged.

Last edited: